PDA

View Full Version : DESPERATE!!! NO TIME FOR PLATEAUS!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bridetobe
Sat, Jul-28-01, 21:31
Hi everyone. I found this website a while looking for info re: why I am failing on the Atkins Diet. You folks are obviously quite knowledgeable so I am hoping you will help me out.
I've been following the Atkins program since 7/1/01. I lost 4.5 the first week of Induction but have not lost another ounce since then. I have been keeping my carbs below 20g, drinking lots of water, exercizing regularly, and taking all of the Atkins vitamins and supplements (which I ran out an bought after the first week results got me all excited). Basically, I've been doing Induction the entire time. I am so frustrated that I burst into tears this morning after weighing in and threw a hissy fit by cheating for the first time since I started the diet. I ate half of a Pop Tart and drank a glass of wine - two of my pre-Atkins dietary staples.
I am completely lacking patience since I am getting married in less than 3 months and I want to look nice for this special day. I don't care if the weight loss is only temporary -- I just want to look nice walking down the aisle. I will worry about the long term after my honeymoon. I haven't even been able to get a dress because I when I tried one on, I looked like a giant marshmallow. I haven't been able to try another.
I've read the previous posts from others who have stalled and got alot of good info. I think that I am going to try the Fat Fast but first I have a couple of questions for you more experienced low-carbers.
First, I am using the ketosticks and turning them purple every day. (I test in the a.m. and in the p.m.). My understanding is that that reaction indicates that I am in ketosis and burning fat. Is this correct? If so, how can I not be losing weight if I am buring fat all day everyday? Second, do I have to be in ketosis before starting the fast? I am sure I kicked myself out of it with my Poptart/wine party.

doreen T
Sun, Jul-29-01, 00:43
Originally posted by bridetobe
I think that I am going to try the Fat Fast but first I have a couple of questions for you more experienced low-carbers.
First, I am using the ketosticks and turning them purple every day. (I test in the a.m. and in the p.m.). My understanding is that that reaction indicates that I am in ketosis and burning fat. Is this correct? If so, how can I not be losing weight if I am buring fat all day everyday? Second, do I have to be in ketosis before starting the fast? I am sure I kicked myself out of it with my Poptart/wine party. A stall isn't a stall until 6 weeks with no weight loss on the scale AND no inches lost with the measuring tape AND no cheating. I didn't read anywhere in your post that you'd taken measurements. Are your clothes feeling a bit looser? Stop weighing every day if the scales are going to make you upset. If you are eating more protein now than you were before, and doing all kind of exercise, then you are adding muscle tissue at the same time as losing fat tissue. A pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat .. so the scales will show 0 lbs net loss, but the tape will show that inches have melted away. Don't just measure bust waist and hips. Measure thighs, upper arms, neck ... ribcage.

If the sticks are consistently dark purple, it means your urine is concentrated ... you need to drink more water. Drinking "lots" isn't necessarily "enough". The sticks will show ketones, but the ketones could be from fat that you eat as well as body fat. Read the article Ketosis and Ketone Test Sticks in the Tips column, on the red menu bar at the top. While you're there check out Stalls and Plateaus

I'm not going to give you suggestions about the Fat Fast, because I think it's premature to even consider it.

What kind of exercise are you doing - aerobic or weight or combination. How often? Maybe consider doing more aerobic right now to get your metabolism and fat-burning a boost.

Lowcarbing and your health should be lifelong commitments, and not just about the one day. Of course your wedding is a wonderful goal, but should only be one goal of many more to come. You may choose to go off the program for your honeymoon (it's been done before ;)) but you should seriously consider and PLAN for getting right back on program as soon as you return.

all the best to you, keep us posted

Doreen

bridetobe
Sun, Jul-29-01, 08:21
Thank you doreen T for your input and for giving it so quickly. As you can probably tell from my post, I have this need for instant gratification!:) I'm working on getting over that -- one of my many self-improvement projects. Anyway, I agree totally that I need to adopt a lifetime plan. I would like nothing more than to finally settle on an eating & exercise program that I can live with for the long term rathen than jumping from diet to diet losing and regaining the same 25 lbs. over and over again. But ... you can never escape those wedding photos. And I don't want to spend the day trying to remember to suck in my gut.

I am doing cardio exercise (treadmill. elliptical, exercise bike) 3-5 times a week for ah hour each time, and light weight training (3-8 lb weights) 2-3 times per week. As far as water, I drink about 72-96 oz. per day. BTW - your input about the ketostick reactions was enlightening.

I am jumping over now to read the items that you suggested. I love this website. I can't believe that it took me so long to find it.

r.mines
Sun, Jul-29-01, 08:54
I second Doreen on taking measurements. Since I started exercising regularly a couple of months ago, I've gone down about a size, but the scales only show about a three-pound loss. I can't seem to measure very accurately, so I use a 'reference' pair of jeans and watch them getting bigger and bigger! In fact, they've gone from too tight to too loose over a couple of months. That lets me know I'm making progress, even if the scale doesn't.

Rachel

spongebutt
Sat, Mar-22-03, 19:23
I'm all for taking measurements. Even if the scale shows no mercy, sometimes the tape measure does. ;)

I lost an inch and a half in 3 weeks while the scale didn't budge. Frustrating? Yes. But then I'd remind myself how well I'm doing when I reviewed all the inches I've lost.

I have a couple more pounds to go. And I have to lose it by May 17, 2003 because we're going on our first cruise!

My anniversary is May 19th. We'll be married 3 years, and I want to look really good for this one! I was a size 14 when I got married (today is 3/22/03, and I'm a size 7/8. A few more to go!), and a size 16 a few months after.
My DH says I'm half the woman he married!

Congrats on your marriage!