PDA

View Full Version : Taste Testing Issue

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Divina99
Thu, Sep-25-03, 07:58
Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding taste testing food. :help:

Does this mean just tasting on the tip of the tongue will trigger an insulin response? Or does it have to be consumed to count?

I'm wondering since toothpaste/mouthwash tastes sweet does it make your body produce insulin?

Sorry, I have to do some research on how insulin works. :read:

fly737s
Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:05
Hey all,
That is an excellent question as I have wondered the exact same thing????
I was also wondering about mouth wash, anyone out there know the answers?
I have just tried to brush my teeth right after I eat to minimize the insulin effect.
Pam

Zuleikaa
Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:26
CAs are very sensitive to sweet. Additionally you don't have to swallow you can just even smell!!! A CAs body, depending on severity, will release insulin in the presence of carb tastes or smells. I don't think toothpaste would make that much of a difference but I've known people to react to mouthwash. It's also why CAs can't do gum or mints.

Divina99
Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:38
Thanx Zuleikaa

I did some research on the net and you are right. Smells, taste, time of day/season (the list goes on!!) can trigger insulin response. I know chewing gum does it for me..makes my tummy rumble.

Pam I think I will do the same...do the brushing before and after a meal to minimize the effect if any. Very good :idea:

Thanks for the quick reply! :rose:

fly737s
Thu, Sep-25-03, 10:09
Thanks Zuleikaa,
I was pretty sure this was the case and I have also noticed that coffee without eating in the morning also gives me the hungers,but the thought of not having caffine is tooooo horrible to even think about. I just usually have a peice of protien along with the coffee, that will take the massive hunger feeling away. I guess if I do it that way I will only have the one insuline response? Thanks again for the quick answer.
pam

muweek
Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:21
What I have been finding to work for after meals, seeing as though that is the perfect time for something sweet, are those listerine breath ppapers or whatever they are called! If I have a meal out and cant brush my teeth, one of those and fresh pilstick seems to handle it so for. They are acceptable and for me, do not get me craving. Just a thought!

Divina99
Thu, Sep-25-03, 20:02
Thanks for sharing Muweek,

I have some of those listerine strips around here. I'll take them with me when we go out to restaurants. :roll:

potatofree
Tue, Sep-30-03, 10:58
So, how do you avoid an insulin response from SMELLING food??? I have the mental picture of me trying to cook with a clothespin on my nose!

Jalera2003
Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:38
I don't think many of us are that sensitive, I can bake cookies with my kids and as long as I don't lick my fingers (a bad habit) :lol: I don't start to crave. I think some of this discussion (no offense) is a bit over board, I personally can't start worrying about insulin release when I brush my teeth or occasionally use mouthwash, I don't swallow it. Tasting food as I cook, yes, that needs to be controlled.

Divina99
Tue, Sep-30-03, 13:18
I agree Jalera...

Toothpaste and mouthwash don't bother me either.

I personally don't go around worrying about smelling or looking at foods. If I need to, I will sample foods (for RM), but I won't start counting the minutes until I sit at the table and actually eat the food. Since, there seems to be various triggers; I'd go crazy worrying about what will cause an insulin response. I am speaking for myself though. It is a personal thing I guess...depending on how sensitive one is. Everyone is different.

Correct me if I'm wrong? I'am new to this so there might be more to it?

potatofree
Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:42
Divinia99-- the book does say you need to start the time when you start eating..and tasting does count. Unless I really misinterpreted things....

My smalling comment was meant tonge-in-cheek, BTW. Thre is NO way to avoid it, nor would I want to!

In regard to the sweet taste/insulin release thing.. they DO say that even artificial sweeteners and glutamates can stimulate an insulin response when placed on the tongue, in SOME people.... I guess YMMV

Zuleikaa
Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:47
Sensitivity is a very personal thing. Some people are very sensitive, some are not. Some are very sensitive to smells also. I know last year I was baking Christmas cookies and almost went crazy when the spicy ones were in the oven I was craving so badly. I had to open all the windows. And it was freezing outside!!! Spicy scents and sweet scents seem to have the most effect. Different people got cravings from the Glade oil fresheners, scented candles, incense, and baking smells, one had to give away a perfume because it had a vanilla scent that was making her crave. Be grateful they don't affect you!!

Also, on the taste...sometimes I will taste and spit it right out and wash my mouth with water and spit that out. I don't taste often. Since I'm so sensitive to carbs, it's not worth it to me.

Divina99
Tue, Sep-30-03, 19:17
Hi Potatofree and Zuleikaa

That was one of my confusions or lack of knowledge on whether tasting and swallowing gave the same result in the end...insulin release. I sample but, I do as Zuleikaa describes in her post..and only if I really need to taste the food. Usually, I'm pretty good at telling what a recipe will taste like. I am grateful I'm not sensitive to smells or tastes. I will only eat if I'm really hungry (CM or RM time). Though there is the psychological part of it too. I find I can stop eating at RM and skip dessert. It's not that I crave the sweetness. I just want it for the texture or pleasure of eating something sweet (nice sweet memories of childhood). For instance, today I could have stopped eating after the main course...I was feeling fine...no cravings. Yet the thought of eating pumpkin pie (my favorite) was very satisfying (with me there is always seems to be room for dessert). So I ate it for the pleasure or comforting feeling I get from eating pumpkin pie. Afterwards, I thought how dumb of me to eat for the heck of it and not really out of hunger. I'm not being too hard on myself yet, this is the second week on CAD and it's more about trying the stuff I couldn't have before. One thing I learned today is that I can stop after the main course and save dessert for another day if I decided to. That is why I find CAD so freeing.

Sorry, hope I didn't get too off topic here :rolleyes:

Thank you potatofree and Zuleikaa for clearing up some confusions on the topic.
:thup:

potatofree
Wed, Oct-01-03, 08:47
The freedom to ENJOY that pie without guilt is the reason I'm trying CAD. It really IS best to not eat it for the heck of it, I guess, but IMHO learning to eat without guilt goes a long way toward healing my relationship with food.

Vel
Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:16
There is nothing wrong with eating for pleasure, the fact that we think there is, is a sign of just how messed up our relationships with food can get. Food is great! And it can be a source of lots of pleasure, it is just that we have to moderate our timing to make sure it doesn't backfire on us.

I get more pleasure from my desserts now since I am on CAD because I don't have to feel guilty about it.

CAD is a great WOE :)

Divina99
Wed, Oct-01-03, 09:54
That is so true potatofree & Val,

I enjoy my desserts so much that I can go overdue it at RM. I just have to remember to balance my RM's. No seconds of dessert (or other HC foods) for me :nono: unless I eat the same amount of protein and veggies. This is what is working for me.

Overall, I'm having the best time on CAD/CALP and truly enjoying foods Guilt free. :thup: