PDA

View Full Version : Atkins sceptic does U turn

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Fat&Forty
Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:11
Hi all,

My names is Steve and 2 days in to 2nd week of Atkins induction.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to diets but read the book and decided to give this one a go, you know bacon and eggs for breakfast, roast chicken breast and salad for lunch, nice steak for dinner a few slices of cheese to snack on and lots of water to drink.

Sounds too good to be true!

Well it's not, haven't been hungry once so far and lost 10lbs, not convinced totally yet, let you know in 3-4 weeks time.

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Missing my Diet Coke, is it okay to drink Caffeine Free Diet Coke?

2Airedales
Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:13
Hey Steve

My Husband was skeptic too but 30 lbs later he's a devoted low carber. And We drink Cafeine free Diet Pepsi. No adverse effects.
The only thing is that the Aspertame can cause a stall in some people. You'll have to try it for yourself.

marks
Mon, Sep-22-03, 18:54
Steve-

When my doctor suggested Atkins to me back in July, I was a
skeptic, too. 9 weeks and 31 pounds later, I'm convinced you
can lose weight safely doing this, and that before this I ate
too d**n much sugar, pasta, and bread. I am still worried
about being able to do this in the long term, but I am learning
more here & reading every day.

I Like your handle. I could be "fat &42" :)

As far as the diet cola thing, after 4 weeks of induction,
when I decided to start OWL, I started drinking 1 diet pepsi daily,
aspartane, caffiene, and all, and it does not seem to have
hindered me much. If and when I plateau, I'll cut it out and
see if it makes a difference. It affects some people. Experiment
after Induction if you're feeling brave.

Well, I'm making "Two Step Chili" from the Atkins book as I type,
and must go mind the stove.

Take care,

Mark

Fat&Forty
Wed, Sep-24-03, 13:47
Hi Mark, 2Airedales

Thanks for the encouragement, 30lbs and 31lbs sounds good to me, although I feel a bit of a phoney at the moment.
Normally on a diet i'm at the 20 visits to the fridge stage by now, just looking, not eating!, but just finished a couple of reasonably sized pork steaks and a salad and i'm just not hungry!
Thanks for the advise on the diet coke, i'll give another week or two then maybe I'll not need it by then, or i'll have a glass or two and see what happens.

My wife started at the same time I did and has lost 8lbs so far, she is absolultely convinced this is some sort of magic!

Cheers
Steve

jedswife
Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:18
trust me! you will be atkins fanatic before you know it.

i have lost 65 lbs. since 1-21-03 - most of it in the first four months. since then i am pretty much on maintenance but i am about to restart induction to lose that last 15-20 lbs.

by the way i have discovered bones i didnt know i even had and i have never felt better.

ImHere
Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:33
Steve,
Congratulations on your progress so far! Keep up the good work. Isn't it great to not feel deprived and hungry all the time and still be losing weight?
Lori

Lisa N
Wed, Sep-24-03, 15:43
Regarding the Aspartame. Besides the fact that it does seem to cause stalls in some people, Dr. Atkins' main reason for discouraging its use were based on health concerns.
It's a personal decision, but I try to limit the amounts of foods that I get with Aspartame in them.

Fat&Forty
Thu, Sep-25-03, 13:04
Thanks all,

The stories i've read on the forum and some of the figures i've seen next to people's name are quite extra-ordinary.

I think I feel confident enough now to join in a few of the other postings, so may meet you all again, over the coming months.

Cheers
Steve

Lauri
Thu, Oct-02-03, 09:13
Steve,
I am also new to the diet and still in induction phase. 8 days and 8# has kept me in great spirits. As far as the Nutrasweet thing, I work in a hospital and have been hearing some "stuff" unrelated to low carbing but unsettling at best. It is now coming to light that this sugar substitute may have devasting neurological effects long term such as memory loss. At 44 years old I feel this will happen to me natually and I don't need any product to help me along. Also an old biology teacher of mine explained thet this product fools the body into thinking that you have taken sugar and will increase your insulin significantly. This can cause hypo or hyperglycimia and also make you hungry. I do take caffiene in iced tea and Diet RC and this has not effected me.

Lauri

Fat&Forty
Sun, Feb-08-04, 15:21
Hi all, i did say i give an update on how it's all going atkins wise and wanted to make a post to encourage new people to atkins to stick with it.
Bare facts are lost 51lbs, trousers were 40inch now 34inch, shirt collar was 17.5inch now 15.5inch and started with 3 chins now have just the one!
The other facts are feel great, actually believe I can reach the ridiculas target I set and still not hungry!
As i stated originally i was a diet sceptic and an atkins sceptic, I'm now convinced.
Cheers

Mystique
Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:45
s/f caffine free Diet Vanilla Coke. It is the only good choice :D