PDA

View Full Version : Scalloped Cauliflower

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tracy213
Sun, Sep-21-03, 20:10
SCALLOPED CAULIFLOWER
1 bag frozen cauliflower
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz heavy cream
salt and pepper
1/4 cup butter
crumbled cooked bacon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Run cool water over frozen cauliflower in
collander to separate pieces.
Spray large casserole dish with pam and layer 1/2 cauliflower on bottom. Season with salt and pepper, then layer with 1/2 onions and thinly sliced pats of butter.
Add 1/2 cheese.
Repeat layers.
Pour cream over and bake 45 min. (Can add crumbled bacon 10 min
before completion).

Serves 4 ~ 6 carbs, 3 fiber (3 NET carbs), 456 Calories, 41 fat, 17
protein (bacon NOT included in counts)

jerppt
Sun, Sep-21-03, 20:26
Oh my gosh this sounds so good-I am going to try this tomorrow night!!

Thanks for the post!!

mlsbkp
Tue, Nov-11-03, 14:38
This sounds great. I can't wait to try it.

Debi Warne
Wed, Nov-12-03, 08:18
I made this last night and we loved it -- may have to make this to take to holiday gatherings.

Lesle
Wed, Nov-12-03, 08:48
This sounds great! I will try it this week too.
Thanks for posting it.
Lesle

Tedmom
Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:41
Made this for supper last night and it was great! Will be making it for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the recipe!

windy
Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:14
I am going to make this to take to our clubs Christmas party tomorrow. It sounds delish!!!

Linda

windy
Tue, Dec-16-03, 12:16
I made this for last weekend and had so many compliments. They asked for the recipe so I was glad to share it with them. It was very tasty. I am going to make it again for a supper we have this Thursday night.

Thanks again,

Linda

moth
Tue, Dec-16-03, 17:45
I recently adapted a recipe from Cook's Illustrated for this, omitting the flour and the breadcrumb topping. My husband actually ATE this. Their recipe calls for parmesan cheese, and the tiniest pinch of cayenne. Also, it calls for shallots (at least, I think it does... my memory is not working well) instead of onions: La, de, da!
Anyway... I was thinking of using crumbled bacon as a replacement for the breadcrumb topping, or some combination of pork rinds (which my husband considers disgusting) and a slice of low carb bread or ry-vita cracker.

BlitzedAng
Fri, Jun-04-04, 10:23
When I made this I added some Almond Accents to the top for crunch. I used the bacon cheddar flavored ones.. So yummy.

Angel

allibaba
Wed, Jan-11-06, 13:25
I just spent a half an hour looking for this recipe LOL. I used to make it all the time and couldn't find it in my recipe book. Well guess where it's going right now LOL.

Love it!

Alli

jun keater
Wed, Jan-11-06, 16:01
I'm making this right this minute. I will report back after dinner!

willowmh
Wed, Jan-11-06, 16:34
Thanks for posting this! I have heard of it but never have tried it, I just went over the recipe and I have everything to make it on hand. I'm gonna make it tonight as well!

Samasnier
Wed, Jan-25-06, 18:33
Does this have a cauliflower taste? I love cauliflower but my partner doesn't. We make fauxtatoes and a cauliflower-based Rice-A-Roni knock-off (would that be Caul-A-Roni?), but obviously neither has a cauliflower taste.

Samasnier
Sat, Jan-28-06, 20:09
Oh well, no responses. For anyone curious, yes it does have a definite cauliflower taste. I loved it, but my partner didn't.

Thanks.

NewPhoenix
Wed, Feb-08-06, 20:51
The flavour of this is awesome! I also added crumbled bacon too. However, mine was really watery; maybe because I used par-boiled fresh cauliflower? I would maybe backup on the cream too. Terrific recipe!

Tonymoo
Tue, May-23-06, 09:01
Do you get a thick sauce with this - I've tried making something similar before but get a watery sauce

ImOnMyWay
Tue, Apr-13-10, 13:19
Made this last night with a head of fresh cauliflower, approximated the other ingredients. No bacon. It was quite good. Good side dish for ham.

Buttoni
Thu, Jul-01-10, 14:09
Ooooo this sounds really good. I will have to try this soon.

Knotty
Thu, Jul-15-10, 22:06
Made this tonight for dinner and my whole family loved it! I used fresh cauliflower and left out the bacon. I also cooked it for about an hour total until the top was a little golden. The sauce is runny on this, but it was still great. It's a great addition to any meal. Delicious! :)

Blackstone
Thu, Jul-15-10, 22:12
Samasnier...I'd be curious to hear about your califlower (rice a roni) dish. :) Tracy - Thanks for posting this recipe..can't wait to try it!

gweny70
Thu, Sep-16-10, 11:36
Another one I want to try out soon!

KKSC2NC
Thu, Jan-27-11, 12:27
Awesome...another add to next weeks menu!! super excited I found this site.

gweny70
Sat, May-28-11, 20:19
I really need to try this recipe!!!!