PDA

View Full Version : Canapes!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Adrix
Sat, Sep-20-03, 05:09
Hiya all!
for some reason this morning i woke up with a (very odd) desire for canapes!!!! (i'm just soooooooo dynasty sweedie!) perhaps i was just looking for something nibbly yet substantial to replace those old saturday evening in front of the telly carby stalwarts like doritos and pizza...well here goes, here are some that i made up...i'm going to bear them in mind for the festive season when it's legal to eat them without looking like something out of 'Ab Fab'!

1. smoked salmon pate' (blend philly with smoked salmon) on top of little pieces of melba toast (made from weight watchers bread) - plonk a sprig of dill on the top to make them look pretty!

2. peel a cucumber, remove the watery seeds and cut into 2inch by 1 inch rectangles. spread a little bit (its darn hot!) of japanese wasabi paste over the top and then pop a folded over slice of smoked salmon on the top....i miss sushi, this is a lovely starch free version!

3. large tiger shrimp wrapped in slices of parma or serrano ham.

4. make parmesan baskets by melting circles of parmesan cheese in the oven for 6 minutes and then whilst they are still malleable shaping them over a small cup so that when removed they end up looking like a little basket! (i hope i've explained myself correctly!) cut up some cos lettuce so it's quite small and combine with a handful of shredded cooked chicken breast and some black olives. dress with some cardini's caesar dressing (2 carbs per 100g) and pile spoonfuls of the salad into the baskets!

5. slice an aubergine/eggplant into lengthways so you get around 8 not to thick/thin slices (not including the end bits...whizz them) spread the lot onto a baking tray and drizzle liberally with olive oil. bake for 15-20 minutes at around 200 degrees till tender. remove from oven and leave to go cold. when cold place a nice chunk of mozzarella and a good sprig of fresh basil on each slice of aubergine, drizzle with a bit more olive oil and roll up, secure with a toothpick if you like!

i'm going to enjoy each of these with a few glasses of chilled dry white wine!
hope you like them too!
ax