PDA

View Full Version : help???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

muweek
Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:15
Okay, I have been doing okay on this plan and started to allow myself a little different foods at rm, such as the book says, no food is off limits at this time. I thought I should still keep the carbs low but then reread this and thought that if I really needed something good and sweet, this was okay. Felt really liberated knowing that if I really wanted it, at rm I could have it. The last 2 nites involved dinner out and of course, dessert( my downfall). The next 2 mornings I have woken up hungry and that gnawing feeling that takes alot to settle. I am trying to figure out if its the sugar, carbs from the dessert that is making me feel this way, or if I am not having enough carbs during the day. I feel pretty balanced from reading other peoples menus so i'm stuck. I think I know the answer but am afraid to admit it, because then I have to cut out my dessert. Note: I didnt get these feelings when I thought I couldnt have dessert so instead, I would have fruit with cream. Can someone explain what i think I already might know? Sometimes a different interpretation of a situation makes sense. Thanks in advance!!
Oh yeah, have a great weekend everyone!!!!!

quikdeb
Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:41
You don't need more carbs throughout the day. The goal for CM 's is as few as possible. Just to get through. Does your morning CM quiet the hunger until the next RM or is the hunger a problem throughout the day? Many of us eat desserts, but I know a few have mentioned having problems with them.

Deb

Zuleikaa
Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:53
You might also be allergic to some ingredient in the dessert. Allergens cause cravings and hunger signals too.

Also...eating out....are you sure you didn't go over the 60 minute time limit by even a little bit. Restaurants are notoriously slow with service. If you had dessert...and didn't order it early...you could have gone over the time limit. That would also cause hunger and cravings the next day.

Experienced CADers know not to take even a sip of drink or a nibble of roll before the whole meal, including appetizers is served and to order dessert, if we're having it, before we finish our entree.

I'm more likely to believe you went over the time limit but there are CAs that are allergic to sugar or wheat.

Jalera2003
Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:56
It would help us help you if you posted a journal. Then we could see what else you're eating at reward meal and check your complimentary meals for you. Some people have trouble with cravings if they don't balance the reward meal properly and some find they can't have raw sugar at all. Every carb addict will attest to more cravings, not less, if they add carbs throughout the day, please don't do that!!

Tess M
Fri, Sep-19-03, 15:36
Just a thought--Could it possibly be MSG in restaurant food? Depending on where you are eating out, and what you are having--I wonder if it could be affecting you? I know that the 2 rms that I have had at our favorite mexican restaurant have had the same effect on me the next day. I think it may be in the cheese (the cheese dip type) that they put on some dishes.... I'm not sure about it even for myself, but the thought has crossed my mind...

Zuleikaa
Fri, Sep-19-03, 17:24
MSG will do it too.

BeccaResRN
Sat, Sep-20-03, 02:28
Hello Muweek, You know I have found that I am unfortunately very sensitive to real sugar...so I still have dessert but I make it sugar free except on special or rare ocassions

lowco
Sat, Sep-20-03, 06:00
muweek,

the type of dessert your having makes a defference.i do great with icecream, chocolate pudding, and chocolate bars. i always feel content and satisfied with dairy desserts after my meal. A generous slice of cake is ok but to much will send me craving for more. Experiment and see which dessert makes you crave and which don't. i have ice cream with sugar that's ok but cake with sugar i have to limit to one slice(generous :cool: ) and i'am ok with that.

kokle
Sat, Sep-20-03, 06:15
Muweek,

I find that I am very sensitive to carbs during my RM. I don't know if that is due to age or what.

If I have too many carbs the night before, I wake up extremely hungry. If I balanced my RM properly, I do not wake up hungry. And, I tend to bloat a few pounds.

So, I have to decide, if I want the serving of ice cream or cake or fruit after dinner, I cannot have the potato, rice, bread or other starchy food during dinner.

I also find that if I use Equal, it triggers sugar cravings for me. And MSG triggers hunger cravings for me.

Salt makes me bloat.

I find I have to walk a very fine line to do this.

I do find that my protein shakes I have many mornings satisfies me more than eggs and bacon or other breakfast choices would.