PDA

View Full Version : Hi from S.Europe!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kamiruaga
Thu, Sep-18-03, 09:03
Hi y'all!
I'm new here, but I've an old-time LCarber. Actually, I started doing Atkins in 1992 but (as I explain in my profile) after 3 happy years of low carbing I had to quit it and I only managed to do it off and on along the years (much to my regret!) but finally I've come back and I do hope this time it's for good.
I had been lurking around this place for quite a long and finally I've decided to get registered. I think this is a wonderful place full of information.
It's a pity LC is not so popular in the place where I live (by the way the Basque Country is a very beautiful place between the North of Spain and the South of France) because sometimes I find it difficult to be an "Atkins man". Well, I'd say I'm the only one for many miles (or Kilometres) around.
But well, to sum all this spiel up, just to say that I'm very happy doing Atkins and that if I can I'll try to do my bit in the forum.

Annie-Pie
Thu, Sep-18-03, 12:48
Bienvenidos, Kamiruaga!

You have quite a challenge being in a country that loves its breads like America does. We just returned from nearly 3 weeks in Europe and I understand what you are saying.

Fortunately, you have many meats to rely on, and lots of fresh veggies.
I wish you very well, and keep up your good work. Please keep checking in and giving us support as well!
Dios te bendiga!
Ciao,
Annie :wiggle:

sfdebchat
Thu, Sep-18-03, 15:32
Hi Kamiruaga!

Welcome to the forum! :Party:

I think this forum will be a great place for you to find people that share a common ground. Because of the Internet, we can find people to share our interests and they can be near or far in geography but still close to our hearts.

Good luck to you on reaching your goals. I know you will find all the support you need here, this place is great!

deb

becky160
Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:51
Hola Kamiruaga,

Bienvenido al foro! Soy Mexicana pero vivo en Barcelona. Este foro te encantará- La verdad es que aqui dan muchisimo apoyo.

Te recomiendo que entres en Bodddies and Challenges. Ahi encontrarás varios mensajes en los que la gente de aqui, que nos solemos llamar Loosers (perdedores), nos damos apoyo mutuamente. :wiggle:
Tu solo tienes que escoger la meta que quieres alcanzar e inscribirte en los "Challenges".

Yo tengo un "Thread" que se llama Welcome All European Low Carbers, apuntate si quieres.

Te deseo mucha suerte, y espero seguir viendote por aqui.

Un Saludo,

becky160
Fri, Sep-19-03, 22:23
Vi tu post en Livin in Spain, y te adjunto lo que escribí ahí para tu información:

Hola Kamiruaga!
Bueno, mira, en la sección "Main Low-Carb diets Forums and Support " ahi encontrarás una lista con varios temas y foros de discusión.
El cuarto foro, de arriba haca abajo..se llama "Countdown Buddies and Challenges". Haz click ahí. Ahora verás el foro con muchos temas "Threads" y "Challenges". Haz click en cualquier "Thread" que te interese. "Te recomiendo el mío....

suleika
Sat, Sep-20-03, 14:19
Hi there. You're right about the value of this forum. All praise for sticking to LC when you're the only man doing it for miles around. Where did you here of it?

I was never in the Basque Country except on a train going from France to Spain. I lived in France for a while and was in Barcelona and Tarragona (?) for brief periods. Do you speak Basque?

Gez

Kamiruaga
Sun, Sep-21-03, 05:33
First of all, I'd like to thank you all for you warm welcome.
Yes, being the only LCarber - apart from my dear mom :agree: for miles around can sometimes be a little bit difficult.

First time I heard of this WOE was in 1992 when by pure chance I bumped into somebody who had been doing that diet and happened to have the 1st edition of the Atkins' book.

I've always been open to new ideas - well, the truth is that I'm not the kind of guy who goes along with the crowd. Always rebelled against tradition and set rules :daze:

On the other hand, what I read made sense to me and after the first week I was totally convinced.
So to cut all this story short, after 11 years I can say that IMHO this WOE is one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

Ah Suleika! "Bai, Euskaraz hitz egiten dut" or to put it another way, Yes, I speak Basque, which, according to many researchers it's the oldest language in Europe. Did you know that scientist have revealed that the Welsh and Irish Celts are the genetic blood-brothers of Basques? Intriguing, isn't it? For more info follow this link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1256894.stm

Kamiruaga
Sun, Sep-21-03, 07:21
First of all, I'd like to thank you all for you warm welcome.
Yes, being the only LCarber - apart from my dear mom :agree: for miles around can sometimes be a little bit difficult.

First time I heard of this WOE was in 1992 when by pure chance I bumped into somebody who had been doing that diet and happened to have the 1st edition of the Atkins' book.

I've always been open to new ideas - well, the truth is that I'm not the kind of guy who goes along with the crowd. Always rebelled against tradition and set rules :daze:

On the other hand, what I read made sense to me and after the first week I was totally convinced.
So to cut all this story short, after 11 years I can say that IMHO this WOE is one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

Ah Suleika! "Bai, Euskaraz hitz egiten dut" or to put it another way, Yes, I speak Basque, which, according to many researchers it's the oldest language in Europe. Did you know that scientist have revealed that the Welsh and Irish Celts are the genetic blood-brothers of Basques? Intriguing, isn't it? For more info follow this link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1256894.stm

suleika
Sun, Sep-21-03, 07:36
Welsh and Basques. That doesn't surprise me at all. I'm in Cardiff at the moment, and it's so obviously a different genetic pool from England. Tough men, shorter than English, and darker. I am Irish by blood but I think my genes are mainly N. European.

Your occupation sounds very interesting. What do you do? And where did you learn such good English?

By the way, did you think of starting a journal? For me, the journals are the most important part of the forum in terms of support.

Gez

smurf
Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:28
Hi,
Welcome, I too think that this WOE is amazing..
I wish you all the best, and hope to see you aroun in the forums.

Cheers,
judi :)

Kamiruaga
Sun, Sep-21-03, 15:46
Hi Suleika and the rest of the people!
Yes, this WOE is amazing... but I think that the people who follow it are even more amaizing. If not, think how amazing it is that a group of people go against all that "received wisdom" and "scientific" opinions on nutrition, diets, etc... There must be something unique in all of us :agree:

As for that genetic paradox, it's something that I always suspected. You know, I've always felt attracted to the Celtic culture, music, etc. I love music and musicians from Ireland. Maybe this is the explanation. Besides, although we share many traditions with the rest of Spain you also can see many other differences: In contrast to Wales v. England, the Basques used to be taller and tougher than the rest of the spanish people. Besides, Basques weren't as dark and you could see many people with blue and green eyes. Only after the immigration periods in the 60's did the situation started to change a little (although when I go to the South of Spain to spend my holidays most people think I'm not Spaniard) :lol:

Well, after this brief digression and as regards my occupation... what's it all about? Mentalism is about things that tend to be a little controversial :exclm:
It's about the hidden abilities of the mind. Can the thoughts of one person influence the actions of another? What about subliminal suggestion? And a long etc. Of course, all this must be presented in a entertaining way so I've got to combine psychological illusion, perceptual manipulation and persuasive techniques to bring a show off. You know, sometimes this is as when I talk to people about my diet... When I dine out with my friendsin a restaurant, I like to tell them that it's a pity that I'm on a diet (they tend to smile condescendingly) and then I order quite a few succulent LC meals. I can see their jaws drop :roll:
Do you see the similarities? In both cases I like to create a sense of mistery. To make people ask themselves what's behind all this. That's the best moment to get to peolpe's minds :confused: and explain something.

As for my English, I'm kind of self-taught :read: Besides, I lived in England for some time. Unfortunately, I don't know many people who speak English inmy area so I feel that it's going a little bit rusty... :(
A final word. You asked me about starting a journal... Well, I'm a newcomer and I still have my luggage unpacked, so to speak. Could you feed me with more details?

suleika
Mon, Sep-22-03, 13:21
Well, after this brief digression and as regards my occupation... what's it all about?

Seriously, it sounds really interesting. I've begun to study NLP and what you do sounds like a really advanced form of it. Is that what you do? I love it.

As for my English, I'm kind of self-taught :read: Besides, I lived in England for some time. Unfortunately, I don't know many people who speak English inmy area so I feel that it's going a little bit rusty... :(

Your English is very good. Your idioms and constructions.... This will certainly be a place to practise it. I speak French fluently with many mistakes, but I can't write it at all. I speak Italian quite well and German a little, but I can't write these languages at all.

A final word. You asked me about starting a journal... Well, I'm a newcomer and I still have my luggage unpacked, so to speak. Could you feed me with more details?

Go to this sticky thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/announcement.php?f=84) for info on how to do it, and then go to This page (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=84) to start your new thread - i.e. journal. Have a good think about what to call it, since you can't change the title afterwards (although the moderators are happy to change journal titles if you ask them nicely in the technical support forum). There are so many advantages to starting a journal. First (for me) is that it becomes a place where people can always find you. I keep track of the journals of quite a few people, and every now and then I pop in and see what they are doing and post some encouragement or fun or questions or whatever. Second, for me, it gives me a stable place to type my preoccupations and also a food diary. Anyway, I recommend it.

Gez

becky160
Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:30
HI!!!
I just came to say hi:wave: and to check how are you doing.

I read :read: through all your posts, and I have to say that you are a very good writer.
I really like the way you express yourself.
Thanks for sharing with us bits of your life and experiences.

I'LL BE BACK!

Take care, you have made a great choice by joining this forum. :yay:

Kamiruaga
Mon, Sep-22-03, 16:02
Hi!
Thanks for all your kind remarks and for making me feel at home with you all. Please, take this little e-present with my most sincere thanks :rose: :rose:

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Suleika
I've begun to study NLP and what you do sounds like a really advanced form of it. Is that what you do?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, yes! NLP is about just that. Knowing about what is going on inside yourself (the first part...) and what's going on inside others (...that leads to the second one). So I find NLP techniques very useful when it comes to establishing rapport with a live audiece and when I have to "exit inside their heads" :bash: (only kidding). Seriously, anyone who has read something about NLP will know about eye accessing cues and the information it can reveal. By the way, I find it very interesting that you are into NLP.

I'm totally sure this'll be a very good place to practice English. I count on you all to help me improve it. As for the journal, I haven't made my mind yet since this is something I've never done in my life (to keep track of what I'm doing) and I wouldn't like to start something and drop out later. So, I have to give it a thought.

suleika
Fri, Sep-26-03, 15:07
Hi!
By the way, I find it very interesting that you are into NLP.

(....snip...)

As for the journal, I haven't made my mind yet since this is something I've never done in my life (to keep track of what I'm doing) and I wouldn't like to start something and drop out later. So, I have to give it a thought.

Hi from Suleika again.

NLP: I am using it to help me with my ADD. (Not more abbreviations - argh!) But I am just generally interested.

Journal: These last few days are a good example; I want to check out how you are etc but there's no particular place to go to find you or news about you. For now, there's this thread here, but in a few weeks time this thread will be dead, and then it'll be a matter of finding you in "members", seeing where you have posted lately, checking a load of posts and then picking a suitable thread to hijack in order to say hi to you or to continue a conversation with you. If you have a journal, even if you only post there once a week, it's somewhere where you can have long slow conversations with people and the thread never gets lost. Do you know what I mean? Many people don't bother logging food etc into their own journals; they just drop in every now and then and say how things are going.

(Forgive the "hard sell" - I am a journal convert!)

Gez

Kamiruaga
Mon, Sep-29-03, 09:04
Hi everybody!

Finally, you got me around to starting a journal. You can find it in the K section.

See you there!