PDA

View Full Version : Salads ....YUCK and other asst Q's

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

IthinkIcan
Wed, Sep-17-03, 13:21
Problem is this. I have eaten SO many salads on Atkins since Aug 19th that I cannot hardly imagine putting another one in my mouth. I almost gag at the thought of it right now. So any refreshing salad ideas, other than the standard ranch, lettuce, cheese, meat, egg... would be wonderful.

I saw I can have green beans, and that many of y'all eat them. How do you cook them? Plain, with butter, with fat grease? And how about eggplant? I was frying that stuff up on Atkins in tons of butter, how can it be fixed pretty simply for CAD?

Also, breading. How do you go about counting something that is deep-fried with batter, or something that is baked with batter? Do you mentally count it as a bigger carb portion if its been deep-fried? Hope that makes sense. I have a mental scale in my head that is balancing these things by 1/3, but my head wants to make the deep fried worth more on the carbs than if it was baked in it. :help:

Okay, think that's about it for now. And thanks for the wonderful support so far. y'all are the best! The journals hops keep be uplifted and reading yours!

Jalera2003
Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:10
What about shrimp on assorted greens, a few red onions, a bit of tomato, cuke, black olives and lemon juice? That's what I had for lunch today and it was divine!!

Cooking with or without fat doesn't impact carb content! If it's the thickness of the breading your considering then the thicker the breading the more it counts toward your carb 1/3.

quikdeb
Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:12
I find coleslaw to be a great change from salads. I get sick of them too! I also enjoy spinach salad w. bacon and egg and ceasar.

When I eat green beans they are from the can, heated in the microwave with a dab of butter, salt and pepper.

Yes, breading would count as some of your carb and would not be something to have at a CM. ( I think you knew that, but just in case.) Whether it's baked or fried has nothing to do with the carb, just the fat. Bread is bread....baked or fried. Fried is just heavier in the fat.

Hope you enjoy CAD and WELCOME!

Deb

Tess M
Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:09
I feel your pain! Salads were getting pretty tiresome to me, too--until I made up my mind to only have them (or at least as much as possible) for rm--so I can put the good stuff on them. In my case, that means adding a few raisins, walnuts, and maybe even 1/4 or 1/2 piece of fruit such as diced apple. This helps me tremendously in getting a large salad down each day. Mostly for cms, I have a steamed vegetable. I steam my green beans in the pressure cooker on the steamer rack, and don't add anything to them. Just prefer them that way. Or some days I have the CAD hearty breakfast quiche--which is loaded with spinach and some cauliflower and mushrooms. I think we are all probably looking for the least yucky way to get it all in every day. Seems as though everyone is finding their way--and each of us in our own way. The cole slaw sounds like a great idea. I will have to search out a recipe that doesn't use sugar....

quikdeb
Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:05
Tess,
There's a recipe in one of the books. I think Calp. Tracy eats coleslaw with just mayo. I haven't tried it that way yet as I just usually have it at RM.

Deb

steveed
Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:56
I've been eating green leaves with tofu on my RMs for 2 weeks, my nose is starting to twitch!!!...kill me now!

promise to self: next week, sliced roast beef with horseradish coleslaw:

Coleslaw: 1/2 head of red cabbage sliced ultra thin, 2/3 cup mayo, 1/3 cup apple cider/rice winevinegar, salt & pepper and a healthy dollop of hot horse radish! :thup:

whoop whoop whoop!

Tess M
Thu, Sep-18-03, 02:12
Steeved, great idea! I never thought about adding horseradish to coleslaw! H'radish has got to be one of my all time favorite foods :p Thanks for the recipe.. Must buy some sliced deli roast beef this week. When I used to cater-we would make it on deli rolls, heated slightly with sauteed onions/peppers and a sauce made from spicy mustard and mayo--yummy and cm legal (not the roll of course).. Who needs bread when you have all that, though?
Quickdeb--You're so right. I forgot that I had seen a CAD recipe in one of the books--will take a look for it today. I need to look back over the recipes anyway--to see if there is anything that "grabs" me. Can always use a new idea... I'm so prone to getting in a rut with the cm thing. If I find something that makes me happy, I tend to eat it days in a row--which is a very bad thing. I've just about worn myself out on the quiche, and need to give it a little rest.
Thanks all.. I'm going to eat something different today! :yay:

IthinkIcan
Thu, Sep-18-03, 06:10
Thanks for the responces, excellent ideas. I wish I'd thought of that coleslaw when I was eating my fish the other night! I guess for an RM salad I could use french dressing since that is my fav, never really thought of making a salad interesting cos its an RM. :lol: Y'all gotta excuse me since I have so much unlearning of Atkins to do. Currently, I have been doing the balanced rm w/o salad to start. I figure for now, I will do that for a full week, look at the results and change as needed. Maybe if I can just give myself a few weeks w/o the salads, my body will stop trying to rebel and I'll enjoy them once again.

Tess M
Thu, Sep-18-03, 09:24
Saw this in the Atkins forum--thought it might be interesting to try. I'm always looking for something with veggies to have with cms--
Peel and shred 1 med zucchini, and mix with 1 egg (for binding), salt, pepper, and scallions or onion powder. Make into patties and saute.. Guess it would be good to use a little olive oil or maybe a little butter. I think they recommended deep frying, but that wouldn't be for me, I guess. Not too big on deep fry.. Bought the "makings" this morning, and I'm going to try it today or tomorrow.. :)