PDA

View Full Version : Started 9/13/03

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kristalms
Wed, Sep-17-03, 07:33
Hi Everyone,
I'm about to turn 30 and decided that I would finally take control of my weight. I am at my top weight that I have ever been in my life and am now at rock bottom. I have a question and anyone that would like to give any tips, I'm open, I've read the Diet Revolution and know about the phases. How long do you stay in each phase. I know that I am in ketosis right now, but, I am not exercising. I am waiting to lose some weight so I can do the exercises that I want to do that I am unable to do right now because of excess weight. Anyways, I would appreciate any helpful information about details that I may have missed.

dazendream
Wed, Sep-17-03, 12:34
Hi Kristalms! Congrats on taking control, I felt the same way when I turned 30 in March, and so far, things are going great!

Induction should be at least 2 weeks, but people stay on it as long as 4-6 months if they have a lot of weight to lose. You pretty much have to go by what your body tells you. I have over 50 lbs to lose, so I'll stay on induction for at least 4 months and see how I feel.

My advice is definitely don't wait to exercise, if you do exercises that your body will allow you to do, you'll start losing weight faster, which will in turn help get you to a place where you can do the exercises you want to do. I know what it's like to not be able to bend or turn a certain way because of the excess weight, but simple walking is enough to get your heart rate up and start burning the fat. I personally love rollerblading because it's no strain on the joints, nothing jiggles when I skate (as opposed to jogging or aerobics), I don't get too hot because of the wind I create for myself, and it's the only time I ever get to go FAST! If you like swimming, that's a good one too.

Everyone here is really helpful and encouraging, so don't hesitate to ask questions. I have learned so much in a small amount of time just from reading the posts.

kristalms
Thu, Sep-18-03, 13:05
Thanks dazendream,
I really do need all the encouragement I can get. I am sort of alone where I live now, with the exception of my husband. He has a very physical job and is not very interested with walking or anything else when he comes home, but, I am really going to start trying harder.

Jbbrennan
Thu, Sep-18-03, 15:53
Hi kristalms!

I'm officially on day 14 of Induction and I've lost six pounds (maybe more but I'm not going to weigh myself for a few days for reasons clearly stated in my journal--shameless plug! :lol: )

The thing I like about Induction is that it is so completely brainlessly simple, no weighing, no counting, no mixing all you have to do is make sure your two cups of salad really is two cups, and your one cup of other vegetables is really one cup and how easy is that. I might stay on it until I absolutely need more variety, because it seems to be working for me with none of the side effects that others have at times.

The exercise thing is tough when you are isolated. Do you have a dog that would be interested in taking walks with you? Or a child who might be able to rollerskate in front of you? I know how you feel, I was very shy when I started speed walking (by all accounts a RIDICULOUS looking sport if there ever was one) and always wanted DSTBH (dear soon to be husband) to come with me. But, his thing is basketball and he goes sometimes but not all the time.
Mostly, I just had to suck it up and get my behind out there by myself, and now, I kinda enjoy it. The main thing with exercising is keeping track of progress, so you can see how well you are doing.
You could start a journal here, they're fun and easy.

dazendream
Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:45
I'm with ya on the hubby thing, mine never comes with me either out of sheer laziness, but I try to co-ordinate with my girlfriend for exercise as often as possible. When she can't do it with me, I make it a point to do something by myself, even if it's a short walk or routine on the ball. I used to hate exercising, I don't like sweat, and I dont' like sore muscles & joints. The thing is, the more I exercise, the less soreness I feel, which I thought would never happen. (still sweaty though...ugh) I guess I never stuck it out long enough before to feel the benefits. You can do it, and like JB mentioned, definitely start a journal, it gives others a chance to see how you're doing and offer support.

nawchem
Thu, Sep-18-03, 17:12
Congratulations on your resolve!

I agree, start exercising. When I started with my trainer we spent a few weeks strenthening the core muscles ( bridges, crunches, lower abs, lunges, squats) and stretching and walking. It will help keep your skin from sagging, and make you feel great. Just go at your own pace and do things you enjoy. Also, exercise is a whole chapter in DANDR so it is part of the plan.

Don't forget your supplements!