PDA

View Full Version : BINGE EATING for ATHLETES and NON ATHLETES my experience

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chaznad
Tue, Sep-16-03, 21:48
hey everyone im someone whos been there n done that , BINGE EATING PROBLEM

my problem alot of the times was striving for an extremely low body fat , cutting calories dramatically causing serious night cravings, at the time i was going through this problem i was 9% bodyfat( with abs ) trying to reach 5% ( trying to become superlean) , it didnt work at all , id head to the local supermarket at 1-2-3-even 4 in the morning and pound a gallon of ice cream a whole box of oreos a bag of chips(big size), several protein bars along with a meal all at one sitting ( adding up to be 4-5-6000 calories and boy was it an expensive period),, id feel so guilty that the next day id run for 2 hours straight ( even still i was gaining weight slowly but surely)
i began feeling it was the end of the world for me , that id be doing this the rest of my life and i hated it .
I came to realize my problem was CARBS, anything, from bread to pasta to beans to cereals to fruits to chocolates n cookies to even certain veggies ,,, I tried balancing out the diet to where instead of eating 4-5 extremly low fat , low carb high protein meals a day i might as well add a little more fat and carbs to each meal hoping itll prevent from night binging ,,, still this DIDNT work ( for me , maybe others, and believe me i added enough of each)

I later began to research LOW CARB DIETS and came across the ATKINS DIET , boy was that wrong ( for athletes at least ) couldnt lift weights with the same intensity as with carbs nor could i do my cardio training (supplementing was correct ) and still noticed my hard earned muscle was being lost,abs became very well defined but still i lost muscle,,although i must say if anyone is overweight go for it , then when you reach your ideal weight , change your diet and start weight training to sculpt your body the way you want ,by the way i noticed some binging trigger foods on this diet,,, low carb protein bars mainly , pork rinds( which also have alot of sodium and id eat a whole bag) and diet sodas ,, if you do need them DO NOT EAT THEM AT NIGHT because theyll more then likely cause a binging episode ( i did have a few ) but this diet did contol my binging

I was very unhappy with the muscle loss so i decided to eat what i want making sure i get the right amount of protein intake ( 1g/lb) to build that lost muscle back ( i mean anything !!!!!! ) BUT while doing this i began constant research for the right diet for an active lifter wanting to drop body fat( even though it was just a very very little amount) , and not lose muscle in the process and most importantly that will help control binging
i found the CKD/BODY OPUS DIET by dan duchaine ,researched it daily joined forums and asked many questions and loved the idea of it but i still needed to put on that muscle i lost so i decided ill do it after 2-3 months ( i tend to put on muscle pretty quick). After the 3 months i did notice my abs werent showing anymore but i added a substantial amount of muscle mass . my body fat jumped up to 12 percent but i still had faith in this new CKD DIET to drop it down,, my goal was still 5% BF and this time i knew i could do it for some strange reason.

OK, what i loved about CKD was i low carb during weekdays( 20g carbs ) and on weekends massive amounts of carbs but low fat to fuel my workouts on monday and tuesday ( which will help retain my muscle ). To my surprise its working perfectly , im keeping my muscle and I AM NOT BINGING ANYMORE, even if i think about food , im still not hungry ,, im loving it .. what a PIZZA HUT COMMERCIAL !!!!!!! , WHO CARES COZ IM NOT HUNGRY DAMN IT !!!!!!!!!!! weekdays are low carb which tend to keep me filled and not hungry and weekends i can pound a gallon of no fat-icecream a whole box of cereal potatoes a whole box of pasta ,NO FRUITS with no limit, there are certain times for certain carbs so dont just read my thread and jump on the diet,, research it first,,, plus im very active and weight train and run 3-4 times a week , so the amount of carbs you eat on weekends is different for each person by there body weight and activity level.
Keep in mind this diet must be done correctly for results ( TRAINER DAN HAS A WHOLE STICKY ABOUT IT IN THE CKD/BODY OPUS SECTION, ALSO THERE ARE MANY ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS U MAY HAVE ABOUT THIS DIET IN THAT SECTION

i am currently 205 pounds, 6'4 , 7% body fat( caliper tested today) , abs are out and im still dropping my bodyfat by the week after being on it for a few months , BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY NO MORE BINGING !!!!

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE AND IS NOT ANY ADVICE FOR NE1, JUST AN IDEA FOR PEOPLE WHO MAY GO THROUGH WHAT I WENT THROUGH,, IF YOU LIFT WEIGHTS YOU NEED TO EAT, PERIOD , YOU CANT JUST CUT YOUR CALORIES DRAMATICALLY!!!!!!
WOW I JUST NOTICED HOW LONG THIS THREAD IS
BUT ANYWAYS IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK

AZjones
Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:32
wow thanks for this thread! over the summer, i worked out every day, lost over 20 lbs and got to a point i couldnt lose anymore so i started atkins 2-3 weeks before college started up...now at school, im having a hard time eating and having energy to workout. Ive been averaging 1-2 workouts a week which upsets me. Because of stress and this diet i have binged somewhat. I hate it. Im seriously looking into new plans. thanks again!