PDA

View Full Version : No Soy!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

no2much
Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:01
It's been 2 weeks since I've had anything with soy in it. I finally had a weight loss. 4 lbs to be exact. Guess soy and hypothyroid does not go hand in hand. I feel better than I have in a while.

rishamoon
Thu, Oct-09-03, 22:50
soy is BAD for your thyroid, interferes with it's functioning... found out the hard way.

eevee
Fri, Oct-10-03, 03:12
I have hypothyroid, and soy anything makes me sooooooooo sick. Never connected it with the thyroid..thought it may have been the phytoestrogen.
Aren't we humans a tricky lot. Eve

Paleoanth
Fri, Oct-10-03, 22:25
Doesn't seem to bother me. I had my doctor watch my thryoid levels very closely. I was worried about the soy thing too. I did give up soy milk, but I still eat stuff made from soy and wheat gluten.

Brandywine
Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:42
Im taking 1 grm of synthroid.. I jsut realized today, while eating lunch.. that I use mayonaise and it says soybean oil.. Im wondering if this is something that I should avoid..
Im also doing Atkins and have lost 30 lbs and not sure which mayonaise to use if this isnt what Im able to eat..
thanks fo ryour time

nimrod212
Wed, Dec-17-03, 20:46
I had a look at Wilsons syndrome web page and noted some interesting information on soy. He highlighted that soy is a definite no no for those with thyroid problems. It explains why I always have trouble with it and need to avoid it at all costs

Jill C.
Thu, Feb-12-04, 17:35
Look for mayo made with canola oil. Doesn't taste as good, but it is healthier...they have it at Whole Foods Supermarkets.

leborland
Thu, Feb-26-04, 19:21
Soy oil produces lots of free radicals too. Another reason to avoid it. Heating it makes it worse. Don't cook in it. Free radicals are a no-no for a healthy bod. Read the rap on oils. Most diets are recommending olive oil these days, including Atkins. Canola is another monounsaturated, but it's not as good. You shouldn't heat that one either.

summer7gal
Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:38
Just curious...does this no thing apply to all people with a thryoid problem? Is it bad for anyone with this condition? I used to think it was a really healthy choice and tried to cook with it several times a week. I didn't notice any problems but if it is bad for someone with hypothyroidism then I will cross if off my list.

(My boyfriend is a HUGE advocate of soy. He uses the firm soy you buy in packets to make his stir fry with. Should I caution him on this or is soy okay for other people? )

Paleoanth
Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:48
I eat soy based products. Not a problem so far.

Micha2
Sat, Mar-06-04, 10:27
I have been a vegetarian for many years and have eaten a lot of soy in that time. But I have come across more and more warnings against soy (The first one was in the book 'The Diet Cure' by Julia Ross) and I have cut down dramatically. The only soy I have now is in the Tamari sauce.

I think soy is OK in small quantities but the amount that vegetarians normally eat in soy burgers, etc, has health implications in the long term, and not just for the thyroid gland.

Michaela

Tofu eater
Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:27
I'd been a vegetarian for many years..eating tofu & soy
milk, etc...along with my hypothyroidism with no problems. I am monitoried closely (every 2 mos.) and
even lost weight with Atkins, where I include 2 meals
a day with soy...and one meal with "meat" (beef,turkey,
chicken, etc.). Tofueater (132/114/110)

kcsorensen
Fri, Apr-09-04, 17:38
......checkout the low-carb vegetarian forum at this site for more on soy and the complications...........also, www.mercola.com has many articles and links to other websites about the dangers of soy..........the hormonal aspect is very real from my own experience; i have been 'soy-free' for 3 weeks and no more problems......seems it takes about 3 months for soy to clear out of the body though........

rishamoon
Fri, Apr-09-04, 17:44
Personally, when I was drinking soy milk, I became a zombie... had NO ENERGY, literally did nothing but sleep all day. My hair also began thinning at that time. Everytime I think I will be able to sneak a little in my diet, I get out of control and it adds up. I always know when I've over done the soy because I get exhausted.

mlkremer
Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:50
I have been on thyroid medication for years. switched from synthroid to levoxil. started a high protein diet mainly of soy. Since i am perimenopausal, my doctor told me to stay away from synthetic replacement hormones and to take promensil. Can't take the black cohosh. so am using the soy in the herbalife to compensate. been on it for almost 7 weeks. did not start seeing results until 3 weeks ago. have lost 7 lbs. since start of this week am feeling achy and tired. but also have upper respiratoty symptoms, so not sure if I have an allergy or a virus that is causing the aches.

enmuffins
Thu, Jun-03-04, 15:48
Would that include tofu and tempeh since they are made from soy?
I'm new to the list and am wondering if there's been a analysis of which of the low carb diets are better/worse for hypothyroids.

Canary Peg

I have hypothyroid, and soy anything makes me sooooooooo sick. Never connected it with the thyroid..thought it may have been the phytoestrogen.
Aren't we humans a tricky lot. Eve
:)

mbward20
Fri, Jul-09-04, 16:40
My mom is an RN & she was the one who told me that people who suffer from hypothyroid shouldn't be eating soy. She found some information while researching my condition. I had noticed that when I ate certain things I would get terrible headaches. After she told me this I sarted looking at ingredients more trying to avoid soy.

DeanaJane
Sun, Jul-18-04, 12:29
It must just depend on the person. I have hypo and I eat soy products. I use soy protein to make muffins and I have no problems. I even asked my doc about it. She said soy in moderation is fine. So I've continued to eat it.
I am loosing weight, slowly granted, but I'm loosing.

Deana

rishamoon
Sun, Jul-18-04, 13:24
I believe that fermented soy is ok (such as tofu and soy sauce) and even sprouts are fine... but I don't recall where I got that information from.

penelope
Sun, Jul-18-04, 13:33
Isn’t there a joke about Japanese women giving more tofu to their husband so that they don’t stray?
The estrogens in the Soya keep the old testosterone in check or something:)
Pene

missmelis
Mon, Oct-16-06, 10:53
Has anyone felt really emotional and drained...along with a sick feeling?

missmelis
Mon, Oct-16-06, 10:57
I feel like I am really "off" with my mind and emotions since eating soy and have hypothyroid problems....anyone been through this...along with feeling sick and drained...?

Lessara
Mon, Oct-16-06, 11:27
Soy makes me sick too :( Its in everything!