PDA

View Full Version : Medical probs due to lc diet

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

quilter3
Mon, Mar-26-01, 11:04
Has anyone else had problems with dehydration on the Atkins Induction diet? I had a very scary trip to the ER in an ambulance Saturday morning. I was having heart palpitations, vomiting, tingling in my hand and would start gasping for air when I started to fall asleep. Very scary. I though maybe I was low on potassium because I was peeing so much on the diet. When I got to the ER, they put me on IVs and did blood work, ekg, etc. After about 2 hour, 2 liters of iv fluid and about 8 trips to the potty, I finally felt better. They told me to stop the diet (I was very willing at the moment). I going to go back to the CAD which I previously lost 50 lbs on. Has anyone else had this problem? The only thing I can think is that the iced tea mix I keep in a tupperware container (no label anymore) wasn't decaf, or that some of the supplements could have made me diurese (pee alot). I'm an RN and was horrible embarrassed as well as terrified. I thought I was going to leave my kids orphans. Any thoughts out there?

Karen
Mon, Mar-26-01, 11:28
Hi quilter3,

Welcome to the board!

Were you drinking lots and lots of water as recommended? Not diet drinks, but water?

The minimum amount of water consumed in a day should be 64 oz plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds overweight.

I became quite nauseous and almost fainted one day and then realized that I hadn't had a sip of water. After having a couple of glasses, I felt much better.

Karen

Tinakaye
Mon, Mar-26-01, 17:08
Shows the importance once again of drinking your water! Im glad your okay, but please drink plenty of water!

debbiedobson
Mon, Mar-26-01, 18:12
hi quilter. i have panic attacks. i'm on meds now that have really helped me. i don't have them anymore and i had suffered for 15 years. what you describe sounds exactly like what i feel when i have an attack. do you think that is what might have happened to you?

sherrybee
Mon, Mar-26-01, 18:14
MY WORD, GIRL!!!!!!....DRINK DRINK DRINK!!!!!!.......
WATER ONLY!!!!!!!!!!

LET'S GO!!!!!!!... H-2-O!!!!!!!!!!

oh my word i'm annoying!!!!...please take care of yourself!!!!!

doreen T
Mon, Mar-26-01, 19:34
As an RN with 18 yrs of ICU and Emerg, to me the symptoms you describe sound like a textbook allergic reaction, except here's no rash or swelling. I'm so sorry you had such a terrible and frightening experience, but something else DEFINITELY besides just following Atkins Induction program was at work here.

As the others have stated, it's important to replace the fluid losses by drinking lots of water. Also, the need for mineral (electrolyte) replacement, particularly potassium is spelled out clearly in the books, and supplements are recommended from the outset of the programs. Vomiting increases potassium losses as well. Another mineral that you may well have been low in is magnesium, which will definitely have an effect on heart rhythm and palpitations.

The only other thing I can think of is were you previously eating a highly refined white flour and sugar diet, then switched cold-turkey to lowcarb? It's also important to eat lots of protein frequently through the day? Were you keeping the carbs around 20, or did you try to cut them way back drastically? There might have been some hypoglycemia involved .... eating protein would help. A small, sedentary woman needs a bare minimum of 60 gms protein every day, and try to spread it out through the day. Larger persons, or more active, need more.

Sorry this happened, and here's hoping you have continued success with the CAD program. All the best to you, and please keep us posted of your progress.

Take care ..:)

Doreen

quilter3
Tue, Mar-27-01, 17:36
Hi! Felling much better now. Doreen, you hit the nail on the head. I was eating the classic white flour/sugar diet and I did go cold turkey to the induction diet. I realize now that not only was I drinking caffinated iced tea, but not enough fluids all around. I know this wasn't strictly related to the Atkins diet, although I've never been on a diet that caused so much diuresis. I couldn't believe it. Even thought they felt at the ER that I was dehydrated (and I did get better with IV fluids) I still used the toilet at least 9 times in a 4 hour visit. Maybe I just have a little pea-bladder!
I did wonder if some of the symptoms could have been anxiety/panic related. I take meds for anxiety, but this was quite a different feeling. I was really quite calm about the whole thing until I started vomiting and my 14 yr old dau called 911. THEN I got a little worried. I guess this is a good lesson for everyone. Make sure your'e drinking enough NON CAFFIENE fluids (like water, for instance) and if you do develop more severe probs, get it checked out. I was just glad the ER didn't lecture me about the diet itself. They felt that if it was diet related, that with precautions, after I saw my doctor, I could start the diet again. I just didn't feel up to quoting research studies about the un-healthiness of low fat diets while I was laying there.
Thank again for the advice everyone and have a great day!

Connie