PDA

View Full Version : Answer to "ONE HOUR LIMIT" question.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

honeybfly
Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:52
I'm new to CADing and I've just finished reading the book (really interesting!). Now this is the part where it answers the "ONE HOUR LIMIT" question:

"It is important to understand that in normal persons and carbohydrate addicts alike, the body releases insulin in two phases. Researchers call the nature of this process "biphasic".

The FIRST PHASE is termed the "preload phase" and begins within minutes of consuming carbohydrates. In this phase, the pancreas releases a FIXED amount of insulin, REGARDLESS of how much carbohydrate is being consumed at the time. The amount of insulin is determined by PREVIOUS CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE--that is, by the amount of carbohydrate eaten in the preceding meals. It DOESN'T SEEM TO MATTER if the insulin release is cued at a given time by the consumption of one slice of cake or four--the initial phase of insulin release will be a set amount.

Conversely,the second phase of the insulin release, which takes place about SEVENTY-FIVE to NINETY minutes after eating, is dependent upon how much carbohydrate is actually consumed at that meal. The body will recognize whether the first phase of insulin was sufficient to handle the carbohydrates consumed. This phase adjusts insulin production and release to the need of that particular meal. If the amount of carbohydrates consumed requires more than the initial quantity of insulin released, then a second measure of insulin will be issued."

To all people who wants to try CAD, I encourage you to read the book first!

lowco
Sat, Sep-13-03, 09:02
what about having only rm daily?