PDA

View Full Version : Fibre needed

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JACQUIE UK
Mon, Sep-08-03, 13:29
I think I need to up my daily fibre intake.
Who can tell me the best CAD cm high fibre foods??
Thanks
Jacquie

Jalera2003
Mon, Sep-08-03, 14:04
I need alot of fibre to cuz I have diverticulitis. The complementary veggies with the most fibre are: brocolli, brussels sprouts, and spinach. I use baby spinach leaves in salad sometimes and you cannot tell them from lettuce (which has nearly no fibre BTW)

lowco
Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:20
beans (red beans the best)work well at rm's. i have some in my salad almost every day. And i go every morning. my mom cooks them up and place them in bowls in the freezer. They last a long time in the freezer.

JACQUIE UK
Tue, Sep-09-03, 02:00
Hi
Thanks for the suggestions, Im going to stock up on my supplies now.
BTW Jalera Do you know of a good sauce to put on brocolli? Im not a big fan of it, but maybe with a good sauce it might be ok?
The beans, spinach etc are also going on the menu
Thanks again
Jacquie

Jalera2003
Tue, Sep-09-03, 13:55
No sorry I don't - I like mine straight up!

kokle
Thu, Sep-11-03, 03:08
Jacquie,

Another way to get fiber is to add some powdered physillium husks to a beverage. The one I have adds 3g of fiber to a teaspoon of powder. I have been making a protein shake to drink for breakfast. I started adding a bit of the dietary fiber powder to my concoction. I find that I am less hungry for longer when I make the protein shake. They do advise that it may take the system to adjust to that type of fiber.

Do you like melted cheese on your veggies? I like cauliflower with melted cheddar.

Some fiber values:
1 stalk of celery .7g fiber
1/2 cup cooked cauliflower 1.7g
1/2 cup raw cabbage .8g
1/2 cup cooked cabbage 2.1g
1/2 cup cooked broccoli pieces 2.3g
1/2 cup raw broccoli 1.3g
1/2 cup cooked brussels sprouts 3.4g

1/2 cup cooked beans 6g

Valkyrie
Sat, Sep-13-03, 09:55
I am very fond of one of the recipes in the CALP book. It is the Cabbage and Ham one (or is it Ham and Cabbage :lol: ). I had it twice last week and it worked a treat. I also take psyllium husk capsules - only one three times a day with meals and the salads seem to take care of any problems in that department. I had forgotten all about red kidney beans! Years since I had any and I used to love them in salad. Thanks for reminding me. :wiggle: