PDA

View Full Version : A yummy snack! - Fried mozzarella cheese

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CMCCAB1
Sun, Sep-07-03, 18:22
On a whim, I tried to cook one of my favorite appetizers from back in my past of working in an Itlaian restaurant. I modified it a bit and it came out great!

Fried Chesse
Slice Mozzeralla chesse into 1/4 inch slices
Bath in a wash of one egg
Roll in grated parmesan cheese, seasoned with basil and garlic
Fry in hot oil until brown on both sides
Serve on a bed of hot tamato sauce

YUM!!!!!

Annie-Pie
Sun, Sep-07-03, 22:41
You gained not only work experience, but creativity as well!

Have you tried rolling it in egg and then in a parmesan/porkrind mixture? Wonder if that would resemble TGIF's mozz. sticks??

Thanks for sharing.
Annie-Pie

luddybell
Sun, Sep-07-03, 22:44
yum annie that sounds GREAAAAAAAAT

Wynter
Sun, Sep-14-03, 17:55
YUM!

Was cruising the snacks looking for something quick and easy (and that I had the ingredients for) and found your cheese sticks - they were fantastic. Made them exactly as you described and they're definitely added to the regular snack menu!

Thank You!
Wynter

rory12
Mon, Nov-10-03, 12:47
I tries to make these, but they didn't get bown, they just melted. basically, I ended uo with oily cheese. what did I do wrong?

windy
Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:18
Would the Atkins batter mix work with this?

Windy

filmlass23
Sat, Nov-15-03, 08:07
Fry them for only a few seconds on each side, Rory. I make mine similarly --

dip cheese in a beaten egg, then roll in this mixture:

1 part Atkins bake mix
2 parts grated parm or (my pref) pecorino romano
a few shakes of Goya Adobo

fry for like 10 sec (or less!) on each side

med234
Sat, Nov-15-03, 08:27
Good thinking! I love 'mozzarella in carrozza'. There must be lost of yummy LC recipes lurking around.

If they melted, it's because they weren't completely covered.

med

Annie-Pie
Sat, Nov-15-03, 10:48
Filmlass, what is Goya Adobo?

You probably already said but I don't remember.

Thanks, Annie-Pie

4beans4me
Tue, Nov-25-03, 10:17
I tried this last week and it didn't work :( I made sure to cover them and only fried for a few seconds on each side... bummer. I'm going to try it again with some bake mix or pork rinds.

mom2haylee
Tue, Nov-25-03, 14:48
I'm going to try them tonight! THANKS! ;0) :hyper:

MyJourney
Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:05
I made these with string cheese lol

That worked easier than actually attepting to cut the cheese in even sizes. Not to mention was the only mozzarella cheese that I had around. I dipped them in a combo of keto crumbs, parmesan cheese and spices and dipped them in 2tbsp of this sugar free marinara sauce I have. I dipped them in the egg then mixture then egg then mixture again and then fried. Perfect!

filmlass23
Wed, Dec-24-03, 13:08
Goya Adobo is a seasoning blend from Goya... they make 4-5 varieties i believe. Just go to the Hispanic section of your supermarket and look for it among all the Goya stuff... I use the blue "sin pimienta" version. It's just a blend of garlic powder, salt, tumeric, and some other stuff. :)

LadyBelle
Mon, Jan-12-04, 21:46
I also just get the melted runny cheese. I have tried freezing them before hand, but maybe they need longer in the freezer and hotter oil for frying?

filmlass23
Sat, Jan-17-04, 02:43
I actually thought about freezing too... that's how mozzarella sticks are made in restaurants... probably freeze overnite after rolled in egg/bakemix/parmesan.

leshaimors
Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:27
i think freezing will work. i wonder if it would just make a big gooey mess if i attempted to deep fry--guess i'll just have to try it to see

BlitzedAng
Mon, Feb-23-04, 07:37
I tinkered with this many O times and finally found a way that worked for me. I let my cheese sticks get room temp then dipped in the zero carb and egg mixture. Then put on wax paper in the freezer in a tupperware. When I want a couple I just pull em out and fry away.

leasmom
Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:34
Very impressed with this recipe...makes me feel like I'm eating just like I did pre-Atkins.

I made it using the egg wash-(a little water added to an egg and whipped), and dredged in Atkins baking mix. I took the Atkins baking mix and added pepper, salt, parsley and garlic powder. I dipped the mozzarella stips into the egg and then into the Atkins mix and fried it...yummy!!! It tasted JUST LIKE the original cheese sticks...I even ate them with Ranch Dressing!!!

This takes me back to when I lived in Detroit-(I am a Detroiter...shhh!!!)-and I would go to the Coney Islands. They have Fried Cheese Sticks, wing dings-(fried chicken wings), buffalo wings, etc.

Before Atkins I would get a pizza, fried cheese sticks, jalapeno poppers, buffalo wings and eat all of that like a restaurant nite. My dd would only eat a few cheese sticks and the pizza so the rest of that is all I ate. :nono: :nono:

Now I feel like I can still have restaurant nite only low carb...I can have a slice of low carb pizza, some buffalo wings, some jalapeno poppers, and the cheese sticks and know that it won't add to my waistline-woohoo!!!:agree: :yay: :wiggle:

dhryniuk
Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:53
I have made the mozza sticks quite a bit. I always buy the stringable ones - put them in the freezer for an hour or so. I roll it in egg and then in parmasean, I put them in the oven and bake them instead of frying.

misschris
Mon, Mar-22-04, 10:31
I keep these frozen in my freezer... what works best for me is the string cheese, cut into 3 pieces. Dip in egg and roll in a mixture of Parm and plain finely crushed pork rinds with Basil,Thyme,Oregano,Salt and Pepper. Then I wrap them up and freeze them. When I'm ready they go directly into hot oil until crunchy on the outside :) I dip them in Krogers Pizza Sauce (3g Net Carbs for 1/4C, I use about 1Tblsp)... feels like I am being SO BAD!!!!!!!!

Noura80
Tue, Feb-22-05, 01:56
Wow!! So many ideas and different versions. I've always loved them and I almost always order them next to my Pizza. I'm going shopping today and make them for dinner :D. Can't wait!!!

JennyU1976
Fri, Mar-11-05, 23:14
These sound delicious. I am going to try to make them today for my husband and me.
Thanks for the ideas!

deb34
Thu, Mar-17-05, 14:02
would this work with rolling them in ground toasted almonds mixed with parmesan and spices?

Deb

leshaimors
Thu, Mar-17-05, 15:38
very good question--i think i'll try it and will let ya know

wirlwind
Thu, Mar-24-05, 17:36
I found something in the grocery store called "frying" cheese. It seems to be a blend of mozzarella and other cheeses. The instructions say to slice and fry in a hot pan sprayed with spray. They don't melt or loose shape. I haven't tried breading them because they are very good without breading. But I don't see why you couldn't.

I have used dried onion and porkskins crushed together as breading for mozarella in the past, and it is very good. I would dip the slices in the egg and then into the onion/porkskin breadiing and then fry it in very little oil. It is very good if you like onion. I've used that breading for chicken and other things also.

blondemom
Wed, Mar-30-05, 16:28
is it better to pan-fry or deep fry them?

misskimbee
Wed, Mar-30-05, 17:12
blondemom - I pan fry them with oil, enough so that when it's hot it's like of like deep frying them :)

I tried coating them in a mix of ground almonds, parmesan and spices. They came out lovely, very tender though, but sooooo good. I dipped them in a can of pizza sauce lol and boy that did the trick YUM!!!

reech4strz
Sun, Apr-03-05, 17:31
Hi guys, I just made these, used string mozzerella sticks, cut them in half, dip them in egg bath and then roll them in milled flax seed,with grated parm. cheese, little salt, pepper and some italian seasoning, as long as the sticks are covered well the flax makes an excellent breading. :thup:

cajuda
Sat, Jul-02-05, 17:34
I made these today. Delish! I dipped the Mozz. cheese in beaten egg, rolled them in seasoned Parmesan, put them on a cookie sheet and froze them. Repeated the process so they were covered twice. Froze them again. My deep fryer only goes up to 375 and they took a good minute to brown. But, I think the double dipping and freezing kept them from oozing before the coating got brown enuf. Thanks for the recipe.

Noura80
Sat, Aug-27-05, 03:30
I'll try using the oven instead of frying them. How much should I use for the oil?

cajuda
Sat, Aug-27-05, 04:43
If you're baking them, you won't need the oil. Maybe spray them with 'Pam'? Maybe someone who has baked them can help you. I deep fry mine.

Noura80
Tue, Sep-06-05, 03:19
You don't want to try baking 'em. They were gross. I did try deep frying them before (when I first made them), definetly I'll keep doing that. It's far much better dealing with the over-frying then just sticking 'em in the oven..ehhh :Puke: .

katwhitt
Fri, Sep-30-05, 07:51
I tries to make these, but they didn't get bown, they just melted. basically, I ended uo with oily cheese. what did I do wrong?

I think you have to bread (with parmesan and egg) the cheese and freeze it first, according to suzanne somers mozzerella marinara recipe very yummy. I used to make it all the time. I guess you could make a whole bunch of cheese chunks and keep in the freezer for future. :yum: :yum: :yum:

zesty
Sun, Oct-02-05, 00:06
good info thanks

zman99
Wed, Mar-22-06, 06:04
When you fry cheesesticks make sure the cheese is chilled and maybe pop them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. This will firm them up and help you from making a greasy gooey mess.

klindley77
Sat, Apr-29-06, 23:09
I tried this last week and it didn't work :( I made sure to cover them and only fried for a few seconds on each side... bummer. I'm going to try it again with some bake mix or pork rinds.

Where did you find the moon with your name in it?? I love it

bennett77
Fri, Jul-07-06, 02:12
wow! yum! sounds really good!

AtkinsMom
Fri, May-18-07, 18:26
I made these today and did the dip, roll, freeze....dip, roll, freeze again method and then pan fried them. YUMMMMMMMY!

THANKS!

skeeweeaka
Tue, Jun-10-08, 23:37
HMMM...can't wait to make these....

_Steve
Tue, Jul-08-08, 15:45
oh my god i love you

lyzjnqtpy
Thu, Jan-22-09, 17:28
For those of you who had a problem with the frying make sure the oil is hot enough before putting the cheese in.

saladmomma
Fri, Jan-23-09, 07:51
we made a "fried cheese bruschetta" last night:
slice cheese (queso de freir) into 1/8" slices
fry in hot olive oil
top with marinated roasted peppers (sliced, drizzled with olive oil, fresh garlic & parsley)

it was delicious, very satisfying.... you can add your own topping.....

sraz
Mon, Jan-26-09, 17:05
had these with salsa and sour cream...wow...thanks for the recipe!

unitsn4
Sun, Feb-22-09, 18:40
What kind of oil are you guys using?