PDA

View Full Version : where do I and how do I start?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

carebair30
Thu, Sep-04-03, 09:40
Hi my name is Karen, I was wondering if someone can help get me started.
I started walking last week. I walk 2 miles everyday but I dont have a diet to go along with it. I have heard about the Atkins diet and skimmed through the Atkins book, but not sure how to start the diet, and unsure of the do's and donts. If anyone can help me I would surely appreciate it. Any suggestions that would help please pass it along.

shortstuff
Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:53
Hi, I've been around for about three weeks now and have lost 12 pounds. If you are confused about Atkins after "skimming" the book, why not go back and READ the book. As for starting, after you read and understand what you can eat (and there are lots of great things) then just pick a day and DO IT! It's that simple.

For induction there are very clear lists about what foods are allowed. I will admit I miss fruit, but I get veggies, meat, fish or poulty, and best of all REAL BUTTER, CREAM AND EGGS. No more tasteless low fat crap in my life!

Sample of what I eat: Breakfast: 2 egg omlet cooked in real butter with 2 to 3 slices of bacon (crumbled) and about an ounce of cheddar. Nice big glass of water to take all of my supplements.

Lunch: 1 cup of spinach (hate lettuce) with chopped egg, chopped whatever meat is left from the night before, maybe 1/4 cup chopped pepper or cuke, more cheese and some olive oil (I like to nuke it for a minute to kinda melt the cheese)

Supper: Meat or fish or poulty and veggies.

Snacks - cheese, sometimes celery stuffed with cream cheese - 10-20 olives - just something small.

Lots and lots and lots of water! and your supplements - Dr. Atkins spells out what supplements you need in the book.

I can tell you that I feel better than I have in years, have more energy and a more positive outlook. I will also tell you I'm 51, under 5 feet tall and you can read what my start weight was - so I was almost as big around as I am tall. BUT I'M NOT STAYING THAT WAY!

Have fun - read the book and then jump in and go with it.

carebair30
Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:12
Thank you so much for your input. I will read the book and start right away. I found the page as you said was in there about what you can eat and what not to.
That is extremely helpful.
GOOD LUCK to You as well.

shortstuff
Thu, Sep-04-03, 16:20
I forgot to mention a couple of things. I got a journal and a pocket sized carb counter book with my Atkins book. I write down everything that goes into my mouth and the carb count so I can keep a running total all day long of my carbs. It really helps. Since I pack my lunch, I can write that stuff down as soon as it is packed, whether I pack it the night before or in the morning.