PDA

View Full Version : Hello, kholrabi, and not much weight off

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ILM
Wed, Sep-03-03, 21:08
Hi all, :cheer:
Just found this website, did some exploring while looking for a recipe and carb count for kholrabi (not much luck so far), and liked what I saw even without the kholrabi recipes (for leaves and for bulb, hopefully), so I signed up.
This is a really interesting and informative website, maybe others on LC longer than I am can give me some advice.
Since I'm gluten intolerant, bread isn't an issue. I also have GERD, and battle acid reflux daily, sometimes hourly. That IS an issue, especially now without my old standbys -- rice, potatoes, and corn -- my non-LC most digestible foods. Even a glass of cold milk to quench the burn is not ok during Atkins Induction. It's disheartening to follow the rules, even when they are painful, and lose so little weight. I keep hoping something will kick in if I'm patient.
It's essential that my excess poundage come off to give my gut less to deal with and maybe reduce the reflux, also to cut down on the load my back must support (it really lets me know it's not happy).
Exercise is a big no-no due to some chronic spine problems. I use stairs at work and walk whenever I can, but that's apparently not making much of a dent.
So far, after almost 3 weeks, I've see-sawed to a whopping 5 pounds of total loss. Not what I had expected, and I haven't even had an energy surge yet. The Atkins website gave me hopes of losing 14 pounds in 2 weeks, a hope long since crushed.
Today, I called Atkins for advice and was told that I've been eating TOO FEW carbs a day. Anyone ever hear of that being a problem?
Anyway, I had a lovely glass of V8 as soon as I got home from work to boost my vegetable carb intake for today. Of course, it is refluxing like mad, but there are always antacid tablets (gotta count those carbs, too, unfortunately).
I'll be checking in on occasion to see (1) if anyone has been through this sluggish time and come out a winner (translate that to mean LOSER of poundage) and (2) if anyone has a carb count or recipes for kholrabi.
By the way, I'm a 62-year old female with strong genetic predisposition to weight gain and height loss (3" so far) as aging takes its toll. Wish I could trade this old bod in for a better model, but in lieu of that, just like you younger kids, I want to maximize potential no matter what! Glad for any FEEDback, as long as it's LC.
Thanks, ILM

Rosebud
Wed, Sep-03-03, 21:32
Hi there ILM, welcome,

You'll find a carb count for kohlrabi on our carb counter at the right side of the screen. (I think your wee spelling error may have prevented your finding it before ;) ). It gives 2.6 ECC per 100 grams. If you want to change the measured amount, just double click on "kohlrabi, raw" and you'll see a dropdown menu where you can vary the amount.
Perhaps there'll be some recipes for it in our recipe section.

The only way to really know why you aren't losing much is for you to post some sample menus.

Some things to think about:
Are you drinking plenty of water - at least 64 oz daily, plus another 8 oz for every 25 pounds you need to lose?
Are you eating "frankenfoods" - low carb bars and/or candy? Known stallers for some folk.
Are you on medications that may slow your weight loss (my personal problem :rolleyes: )?
Are you eating enough? Many folk try to low carb while keeping the calories too low.

You may also want to check out our TOFF's area (The Over Fifties Forum) for some friendly support. :) Here is the link: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=141

All the best to you.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

ILM
Wed, Sep-03-03, 21:47
Thanks, Rosebud, for the advice and for catching my spelling error. I'll try the over 50 link, then hit the sack. Work begins early tomorrow and ends late!
I'll have to do a real search to find that carb counter on the right side of the screen, so far I haven't found it!
ILM

Rosebud
Wed, Sep-03-03, 21:50
I'll have to do a real search to find that carb counter on the right side of the screen, so far I haven't found it!
There's a collection of topics under "Quick Links." The Carbohydrate Counter is second from the bottom. :)

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

ILM
Wed, Sep-03-03, 21:55
:sunny:Thanx. Found it and even figured out how to change grams measurement to cups. Now to explore the over 50 group and then get some much needed sleep. Computers can really eat up time!
ILM