PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 diabetic just starting the Atkins Diet

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Peach GirL
Mon, Sep-01-03, 19:57
Hello all.....

I was refered to this board from someone who is already on it. I am beginning the Atkins diet as I have 100 pounds that I need to drop. I live in Atlanta, GA.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in March 1998 when I was 37 years old. It runs in my family, and my dad had high sugars that he controlled with diet. His mother was on oral meds years ago to control her type 2.

I started to have a weight problem right around the age of 12, when puberty set in. While growing up we kids had to be members of the "clean plate club" before we could leave the table. Well, I have turned into a lifetime member of the clean plate club!!!! :(

In the 7th grade I was tipping the scales at about 125 pounds. I suppose that is ok if you are 6 foot tall, but I was maybe 5 foot if that in those days, so I was chubby.

I have gone up and down all of my adult life, bouncing from 160 pounds to 250 pounds (where I am now). My diabetes is out of control and my last A1c test (blood test by the doc to measure average blood sugar levels over 90-120 days) was 8.6!!! :nono: Under 7.0 is considered normal. I feel like crap with all this weight and my blood sugars being out of whack. I am noticing that the oral diabetes meds are having less and less effect and I knew this was my wake up call to get this weight off so I can go off the meds and just manage this diabetes with diet. I have talked with many type 2 diabetics and they have all gone off their insulin and or meds after as little as 20 pounds on the Atkins diet. They did not feel hungry, they lost the weight rapidly and all feel better!!!!

I am 5 foot 6 tall and am a size 22 right now. I am also 250 pounds.

I am so glad this board was refered to me!!! I hope to learn alot from you all and share my experience as I lose this weight!!!

Cheers!!!!

Lori H
Mon, Sep-01-03, 20:53
Welcome Peach Girl! We are glad to have you join us. Lots of good info and support here. This diet really works. 3 months ago I was in a size 22 and now am wearing 12s and 10s. I am not a diabetic but have a huge amount of it in my family and figured it was just a matter of time. Everyone loses at different rates but I really feel like you will get some amazing results with Atkins. Good luck and let us know if you have questions!

p_rosie
Mon, Sep-01-03, 22:27
Welcome Peach,

I am also TII, been officially diagnosed since age 32. Before meds and diet my HA1c was around 8.2. There are many great and inspirtional people, who will gladly share thier stories and advice. Please visit the diabetes board and the Dr. Bernstien's diabetic solution board for more info on diabetic LCers.
I have been able to stop my meds since starting this WOL, for more detail on this, stop by my journal. Go to the "P" section of journals until you see my tag. Good luck to you.
Rosie

pepsi max
Tue, Sep-02-03, 05:00
hi peach,welcome to the forum.there is a lot of diabetics on this forum so your not alone.why don,t you start a journal to share your experiences.i find it helps with balancing bgs and the weightloss.good luck

claude783
Thu, Oct-28-04, 17:05
My hg1 level was 8.8 in Apr.2002. My chlor was 239 and I was 100 lbs overweight.

I went on the Dr. Schwarzbein diet, cut my carbs to 60 grams per day.

1 year later I was 5.2 hg1, and was down to 188 on chlor.

Now in Aug. 2004 I am still at 5.2, chlor was 186, and I have lost 83 lbs.

A co-worker, has been on insulin for 8 years. He was doing the 180 carb, American Diabetes Diet, which he was put on by VA Hospital.

2 years ago I gave him information on what I had done. Since then he has lost 48 lbs. Is down to 1 shot (some days), and his doctor is about to put him on oral medication. However, most mornings when he gets up his blood sugar is now running about 130-140. He knows he can get it lower with diet, but since he is "manual" labor he is getting in plenty of exercise. So, doesn't always take that shot in the morning. Down from 5 shots per day!

His dietian, has dropped him as a patient, because he isn't following their recommened diet...and they don't know what the long term effects of low-carb lifestyle will be.

But as he told her, he knows Damn well what their diet was doing to him, and where he would be in a few short years!

I have kept the weight off for 2.5 years, kept the blood sugar down, need to lose that last 20 lbs. But, am feeling "GREAT".

So, hang in there!

You got a lot of company in the diabetes family here!

MissScruff
Sat, Oct-30-04, 16:51
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif