PDA

View Full Version : Help me - can't get it off

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mchll
Tue, Jul-24-01, 12:37
Hi - My name is Michelle -

I was on the Atkins diet about 2 years ago and completely thrived off of it - lost about 20-25 lbs. Ended up being smaller than ever - loved loved the diet - had a baby 1 year ago and thought I would easily just jump back on the diet - no problem.

I am dying over here though - I cannot stay on it - have no motivation - energy - nothing. I don't know what to do - Now I am bigger than I have ever been (170 lbs - 5'2"). I bought the Atkins multivitamins yesterday and I have started again today. I just don't know how I am going to stay on it - I really really want to - I think I stayed on it for a week steady at one time - but did not do the greatest - - any motivation or food ideas would be much appreciated!!

tamarian
Tue, Jul-24-01, 12:53
Hi Michelle, welcome aboard.

The most important thing is to get through the first few days, it's hard for some carb addicts, like a detox program. Once it's over, cravings will go away, and you will be able to follow the plan easily.

Keep us posted on your progress. Many of us here are like you, fellow addicts!

Wa'il

NancyC
Tue, Jul-24-01, 13:33
I can relate. After having my first baby, I was heavier than I'd ever been (the same height and weight as you) and I didn't seem to have the time to take a shower let alone make choices about I was putting in my mouth (yes, a one year old can be even more demanding than a newborn). Plus the extra weight, stretch marks (gasp) did nothing to help my self-worth which, of course disables motivation (so does wearing those stretchy pants)... I felt as if I was too far gone!

You deserve some YOU time... and you deserve not to feel guilty about it. Ask for help from the baby's father (i.e., he stays with the baby for an entire day on Saturday--twice a month at least). Use the day to get out of the house... and not to run errands. Get a pedicure, find a quiet place to reflect on what your GOALS not ROLES are... this could also be used as a time to plan your LC menus. Start with small goals... not a 5-year plan (those always change anyway)!

Getting the support from people on this site will certainly help with your motivation (they help you to realize just how special your are)... you're not alone with the baby, dirty dishes and laundry.

Each day you're on induction successfullly it'll give yourself an extra boost... you CAN accomplish anything!

mchll
Tue, Jul-24-01, 13:45
Wow - Nancy - seems like we are along the same lines as far as weight and height. I know I need that time to myself and really need to make it. My sister is staying with my husband and me right now - she is tall and skinny - makes it so difficult - you would think that would motivate me, but it doesn't for some reason - guess I think I can eat what she eats. Gosh - we will ever be back to our normal selves again? Yes - I know we will - just a matter of sticking to it - somehow . . .

Lara
Tue, Jul-24-01, 14:03
Hey Michelle. Just read your posts. I too have had that baby weight problem but at my age it's no longer an excuse! Anyway, please visit here daily of more if you need to. I have found all these people to be just the greatest support. They answer questions and care unconditionally. You can do it because you deserve to feel better! Take care and maybe read some of the Stories from the other guys. Cheers.

debbiedobson
Tue, Jul-24-01, 17:51
welcome michelle!:D hang in there sweetie! it will get easier! post when ever you can! we'll be here for you!!:D

Karen
Tue, Jul-24-01, 18:28
Hi Michelle,

Read the Tips and Recipe Sections in the red bar at the top of the page for some inspiration.

There are a few things you can do to get you over the hump. Keep busy doing things you enjoy. It is not necessarily lack of willpower that you are experiencing, but chemical imbalance within your brain. You have to do things that make you feel good during this period of time. Pray if you pray, meditate, sit in a park and recharge. Sleep and eat whenever you want to. Think of what you want to do as creating maximum overall health, not just weight loss. Everytime you fall off, come back immediately. The more you do it, the better you will get at it, and soon you will be all the way through induction.

Someone once said that nothing tastes as good as thin feels. It's true!

Karen

Jenyphur
Tue, Jul-24-01, 23:37
Maybe this will give you some motivation. I am also 5'2" and after giving birth I was up to 175! The day I found out I was pregnant with my second I cried. Not because I didn't want a baby because of course, I did...but because I thought I would gain another 40 lbs. I really watched what I ate with my second and I ended up weighing about 170-172 right after the birth, which was pretty good news.

About a year ago, I decided to try the Atkins thing and I pretty much stuck with it. I found once you get going...it's REALLY easy to just stay with it. You WILL lose those cravings and you WILL start feeling better. Give it an honest 4 weeks. Seriously...make a calendar and just go day by day and count down (kind of like you probably did with your due date of your baby) :).

In a short 3 months I was down to 130 which was actually a pretty good weight for me. I maintained this (even went down to 125 for a time) for about 8 months. I started getting "lazy" in my eating and am now back up to 150 but it's my own fault, so here I am again. The difference is this time I KNOW I can not get lazy again. THis is the way I will have to eat for the rest of my life. Oh yeah, I'm sure I'll eat pasta, bread from time to time but it will be very restricted or else the weight is guaranteed to come back.

The point I'm trying to make is that I have been where you are and you CAN do it. It's going to be even easier for me this time because of all the support here. I few times this last week I have caught myself thinking that maybe I don't really look all that bad at 150, etc. A few times I SWEAR the mirror made me looked really thin. But I would come here and read that other people are going through the same thing, that other people have had major successes in weight loss as well as health, that other people are also struggling with certain things. You know what it made me realize? It made me realize or aware that I'm not alone. That's a really good feeling. I don't know quite how to explain it but it's good.

I also know that if/when I have a bad (eating) day I can come here and get advice/suggestions or even a little sympathy.

The online community is an amazing thing.

Here's to all of us out there trying to better ourselves!!! :D

mchll
Wed, Jul-25-01, 08:31
Gosh - thanks for all the great advice! You guys are right - this site does help in that you see that others are going through what you are going through. It is difficult in that I do not leave the house much - only have TV to compare myself to - even then though - when you are out - you don't really know what is going on in others minds - even though in all actuality you've got to know that they are probably struggling with themselves just as you are. I think sometimes we (or I) am/are just so self conscious that I cannot get beyond what I am feeling or thinking.

Karen - what made you think it is a chemical imbalance that I am having right now? Just curious. . . I mean I think you are right, I am just wondering what I said to make you pick up on that. Sometimes I think I try to fool myself into thinking that is not so. . . but really I think it is too!

Anyways - I look forward to reading everyone's (well maybe not EVERYONE'S (HAHAHA)) posts. I also look forward to writing here. I am going to take it one day at a time - slowly . . .

Karen
Wed, Jul-25-01, 09:44
Karen - what made you think it is a chemical imbalance that I am having right now?

Because I'm a low-carb psychic! ;)

Not really, but I've been reading about seratonin and beta endorphins, the stuff that tells your brain to make you "feel good". I've noticed in a lot of newbie's posts that they have trouble getting through induction, and I think that the drastic reduction in carbs - which a lot of us are dependent on for the "feel good" brain activity is what makes it so difficult. So, you have to replace the carbs with other stuff that will stimulate seratonin and beta-endorphins.

When I first started, I (by the grace of a higher power) fell into it naturally. Don't know why or how, but I would actually "stop to smell the roses" literally and figuratively. I would also think of all the things I was thankful for which gave me a great sense of peace and fulfillment.

The more I read, the better I am able to fit together pieces of this large, and wondrous LC puzzle.

TV is full of lousy role modesl. Come here instead of switching on the tube! :D

Karen

Mrs. Y
Wed, Jul-25-01, 15:19
I agree. Turn the darn thing off (garbage in = garbage out!) and put on some music and dance around the house with that sweet baby!

Can slim sis do anything to help? Perhaps between herself and the dad you should be able to get that alone time for a walk, jog, swim, cycle, whatever? Maybe even (now here's a concept) a date with your beloved to cheer you up?

Karen is probably right - could this be some post-partum depression here? Good luck and keep coming back - there's nothing but good stuff here.

You'll be fine...

(BTW note to Jenyphur re that picture! Two buttons have never been so darn cute!!!)

mchll
Sat, Jul-28-01, 09:59
I just counted and today is Day 5! Yeah - I think I am going to make it this time - I hope I hope I hope!! I really think this forum has helped temendously!! I showed my step-mother this site - we put it on her favorite places - she is going thru the same thing as I am - so I just won't be able to write anything negative about her in case she reads this - hahahah - just kidding Sheilah -

I am so glad I found this site - I know I have said this before - but really I am. I have really been drinking a lot of water since (oops forgot who said it) said that about water cleaning toxins out of your body. I am kinda thinking of it as cleaning out all the bad stuff. I am starting to feel better - I am thinking I may have some energy forming. I am at sister's house right now - will have to verify (having energy) when I get back home to same ole, same ole! Gosh I hope so. Please oh please. Well off to read someone else's entries for a bit. Hope to be able to encourage someone else soon like yall did for me!! I haven't weighed yet - will do on day 7 I think -

Lara
Sat, Jul-28-01, 10:25
Hey Mchll. Great going! Keep up the great work. I know it seems like a long journey but one day at a time with frequent visits here and you'll forget how long you've been doing this. I'm in my 10th week now and although I get antsy once in a while, if I come here I feel like I have visited my conscience! Anyway, we're all rooting for you and everyone else who is making the effort. Cheers, Lara.

mchll
Tue, Jul-31-01, 06:58
I am on day 8 of Atkins and have been doing pretty good. I was wondering how long it takes to hit ketosis (I forgot). I am not even moving on the stick - either doing something terribly wrong or could possibly be bad sticks or it just takes a while. ???????????

doreen T
Tue, Jul-31-01, 08:00
Ketosis usually kicks in within 48 hrs of strict lowcarbing, no cheating. The sticks can only indicate the presence of ketones in the urine at the time you empty your bladder. They can't tell you whether or not you're in ketosis .... your body may be using all the ketones that you produce, so that there's none left over to "spill" into the urine. Or, as you stated, you may have a bad batch of sticks. Check out my article Ketosis and Ketone Test Strips .... click on Tips on the red menu bar at the top, for more suggestions.

Other signs that you are in ketosis and fat-burning mode ... you're losing weight and inches ... you're not hungry all the time (appetite suppressed) .... The Breath (your mouth tastes like you've sucked on a BandAid) ... Don't get hung up on the sticks, they're just a guide.

Doreen

lowercarbg
Sat, Aug-11-01, 09:51
I just had a baby a year ago, the weight does not come off fast, we have to work at it I just started today, I really do not know what I am doing yet, but I want to be support for people. If you want to email me do, maybe you can help me.:)

Natrushka
Sat, Aug-11-01, 16:49
Hi Michelle, I read your post and Karen's reply and I thought maybe this could help re the feeling bad. It's a link to some information about 5-HTP, an amino acid that is essentially the precursor to serotonin. I started taking it back in February when I was experiencing the Blues pretty bad (S.A.D.).

I found it alleviated my moodiness, tired weighed down feelings and helped me sleep better (I'm a very light sleeper).

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) (http://www.alternativedr.com/conditions/ConsSupplements/5Hydroxytryptophan5HTPcs.html)

and

What is 5-HTP (http://members.tripod.com/vitamin_man/5_htp.htm)

Nat