PDA

View Full Version : New to this Board; Need Inspiration

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HarmonyRos
Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:46
Hello to everyone.

I have been dieting all of my life, and have done every diet plan you can think of. I just have a very hard time losing weight at the same rate others on the same plan seem to be able to do. Currently, I started doing the lo-carb plan right after Memorial Day. I read the daily messages on another lo-carb board, and they all seem to lose so quickly, doing exactly what I am. I am a bit older than they are, but when weeks go by, and my success is very limited, I get depressed about it and quit. I can also gain back very quickly. Don't know which plan to follow for me. I have lost about 12 pounds the whole summer, and most of those were in the first couple of weeks. I don't want to gain those back, so I need support and help. Thanks to all.

lkonzelman
Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:48
You are doing well.

This is not a fast weightloss diet this is a healthy way to eat everyday whenever you are hungry and to be satisfied while SLOWLY get to your goal weight.

The slowly teaches you to eat right and patience so this time you keep it off. You will not lose weight everyday. Your body will get into natural stalls where it needs to catch up with the weight it has lost. It is good to take measurements now because usually in a stall (4 weeks of no weightloss) you usually are still losing inches.

Realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month.

All the best to you.

HarmonyRos
Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:53
Thanks for your imput. I really want this to become a way of life; not just another failed diet. I have recently been reading various other Lo Carb plans, (so many out there) and that is confusing. I do the best when something is easy to do; simple rules.

lkonzelman
Thu, Aug-21-03, 08:56
Me too.

Take measurements also. We low carbers look leaner faster then other diets. Although most people have to lose 10 lbs to lose a size. I have lost approx 20lbs but have lost 4 sizes.

Smaller doesn't always = lighter.

sfdebchat
Thu, Aug-21-03, 22:47
Hi HarmonyRos,

Welcome to the forum! I am stalled too for three weeks now so I know how you feel.

My best advice to you is to start a journal here and post all your meals and snacks. Then people can come visit and give advise, share stories, etc. Please come by my journal and you can see how it works.

Good luck, here's to breaking our stalls,

deb

lkonzelman
Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:33
I am stalled too for three weeks now so I know how you feel.

It isn't a stall unless over 4 weeks and no inches or lbs are lost.

Have you taken measurements?

bkloots
Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:34
Hi, Harmony. I'm new here, but I've been doing Atkins since January. I lose very slowly, but I'm almost 25 lbs. lighter than I was, and quite close to goal. I tend to plateau for weeks, and then drop 2-3 lbs. But those pounds stay OFF, and I can really tell what's happening by the way my pants fit.

I think Atkins is pretty simple as low-carb plans go. But there's so much misperception of Atkins that it's important for you to read the book and understand everything about it--especially the importance of green veggies, good fats, and lots of water.

Pick a plan, stick with it, and be patient. Like Lisa says, we're learning a lifestyle, and it takes a while.

Best wishes!

Kristine
Fri, Aug-22-03, 15:40
Hi Harmony. Welcome aboard. :wave:

Unfortunately, chronic dieting turns your metabolism to crap. On the plus side, low carbing it's the most painless route you can take to success. :thup: You're doing your body a huge favor.

"... my success is very limited, I get depressed about it and quit."

This is going to be the big demon you have to fight. Success has nothing to do with the scale and everything to do with behavior. You have no control over the speed at which your body decides to lose weight, so you can't use that as a success meter. Success is when you try your best, day after day. The payoffs aren't immediate - they're more like interest on money in the bank.

Keep at it, and keep your chin up! :cool: