PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain from Medications, what kind of luck am I going to have?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

HipsGalore
Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:50
hello,
I am HipsGalore, 36 and female. I suffer from an autoimmune disease similar in symptoms to muscular dystrophy. After being on Prednisone, Cyclosporine and then Zoloft (for depression) I ballooned from 170 to 240 in less than 24 mo. The Prednisone and Zoloft have been discontinued, but I am still on cyclosporine.

At the suggestion of my neurologist, I started the Atkins Plan last Wednesday and have lost 10 pounds since August 13th.

Can anyone tell me what kind of luck I will have losing some this weight with a condition where exercise is limited & the weight is side effect related?

Thanks.
HipsGalore

Kristine
Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:23
Hi! :wave:

Since you've discontinued the prednisone and zoloft, I'd say your luck will be good. :thup: As far as I know, cyclosporin doesn't cause weight gain.

Best of health to you!

sfdebchat
Tue, Aug-19-03, 16:20
Hi HipsGalore,

Welcome to the forum. :Party:

I am sure you will lose weight on your plan. I think the 10 pounds gone so far is a good indicator. Personally, I am disabled and have found that lowcarbing is working for me even though I can't get much exersize. I stopped most of my meds recently too. But was taking Paxil, Neurontin, and asperin when I started low carbing and I still lost weight.

Have you started a journal yet? I find that looking back on my food choices helps so much in figuring out what works for my body. I only wish I would have started the journal from day one!!!

Congrats on your success so far! I am sure you will reach your goals.

Deb

HipsGalore
Tue, Aug-19-03, 16:43
thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. It is a great comfort to know that there are other folks who have disabilities that do well on low carb diets. yes, I do journal, keep track of carb grams and have a very close online friend who is also fighting the fight with me.

I hope to be able to provide support and advice to others somedays, further along in my struggle.