PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Downtown Toronto

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

San4Fit
Sun, Aug-17-03, 10:44
Hello Everyone!

I just moved to downtown Toronto shy of a few months and I have had one hell of a ride health wise.

You see, I started doing a modified Atkins without eating anything after 7 pm back in Sept 2002. I was weighing 190 and got down to 160 by February of this year.

I moved here and lost another 10 pounds which brought me down to 150, but then I developed Kidney Stones in May of this year.

I had to go off the high protein diet because of the kidney stones, therefore, I gained another 10 pounds. Currently I am at 160 and not happy as I my goal is to be 135.

I am here to try to find a way to go back to Low Carb without it bringing on another kidney stones attack. It's the worst pain in the world I tell you.

The thing is, I felt great with low carb. I had energy, didn't feel heavy or sluggish and now that I am back to carbs I gained 10 pounds and feel crappy. However, the pain I experienced with Kidney Stones is frightning too!

I know there must be a way for me to do Low Carb without it causing me more stones. Perhaps eating Chiken, Turkey and Tuna instead of red meats and bacon.

I also did cut out my teas with cream because that is what I think brought them on along with tons of cheese. I drink and used to drink tons of water too, but I believe I slacked off a bit and was drinking too much tea.

So, hello to everyone and I hope I can find myself back to a healthy low carb diet that can help me achieve my goal of 135! I was proud of myself and was getting used to counting my carbs. I now find myself lost again and reaching for bread and butter with jam in fear of getting stones again :(

For the first time in a few years, I am also going to the gym, so that will certainly help me too.

Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

:)

strokerace
Sun, Aug-17-03, 11:39
Hello,
I am sorry to hear about the kiddney stone. That sounds very painfull. There are just so meny other foods other then cheese and tea. Did you Dr. say anything about you diet? I drink water all the time, I have a diet soda on sat. sometimes as a treat. I have a ice tea once in awhile. I drink green tea every morning. I have one cup a day. Maybe if you drink lots more water than tea. Try some celery insted of cheese. I am not sure what kind off food causes kiddney stones, I never knew it was food that caused them. I figured caffeen I guess.
You can do it. 10 lbs is not bad at all. You have done so good for so long that just goes to show you can do it again. I hope someone else on here can help ya with the kiddney stone thing.
Well good luck
Take care,
God Bless
Tina

San4Fit
Sun, Aug-17-03, 15:15
http://www.urologychannel.com/kidneystones/index.shtml#uric

Yeah that links explains more about them if you are curious..

But basically..

It is advised that I limit red meat, chocolate and nuts as well as tea, beats, and high calcium oxalate foods.

Hope to hear from anyone regarding how I can go back to a Low Carb diet without creating an episode :(

Thanks again! :)

P.S. My Father also had kidney stones..they can be genetic also..

San4Fit
Tue, Sep-09-03, 20:33
Surprised I didn't hear from anyone regarding some sort of solution for me..

Thanks Anyways..I guess!

Kristine
Tue, Sep-09-03, 22:24
Hi San,

Hope you're enjoying Hogtown. :thup: I'm from Mississauga, and my brother lives in downtown TO.

You're the first kidney stone patient I remember coming across on this forum. Don't give up: a lot of people don't read the 'intro' foruj. If you'd like more info, post to the "general health" forum. Or, you can do a search on "kidney stones" in that forum, and you'll see past posts.

Good luck and good health!