PDA

View Full Version : [SB] Any Sugar Busters out there

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LindaW
Fri, Jul-20-01, 17:29
Just curious. Would like to discuss sugar busters with someone or email back and forth. Thanks. Linda

tamarian
Mon, Jan-07-02, 00:18
Hi Linda,

Don't know much about Sugar Busters yet, but we just opened this area and hopefully more SB followers will drop in :)

Wa'il

crumbunny
Wed, Jan-09-02, 22:34
Hi Linda! :wave:

I've been researching all these different plans and I'd say mine is pretty close to SB. I avoid all sugars, potatoes and corn; however, I do include some whole grains in my plan in moderation. Right now I'm journaling to figure the correct balance for me. Today I ate too many grains and had a slip-up, so I need to find a happy medium.

Four years ago I followed the Protein Power plan, but missed the whole grains too much and ended up gaining all the weight back. This time I want to lose slowly and permanently as I search for the proper balance.

jan082001
Thu, Jan-10-02, 11:51
Hi Linda -

I have been following the Atkins plan since August 2001. I have been playing with different sugar substitutes until I over indulged on a low carb chocolate pudding with had, of course, artificial sugar. I've readjusted my plan of eating to eliminate sugar in my recipes. I've gone back to my journal, and am finding that writing about my daily food plan as well as "what is eating me" is helpful. I've not read the Sugar Busters book in awhile, but would welcome fellow travelers who are also trying to abstain from sugar.

jan

Carol56
Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:43
Hi...I'm a new/old poster to low carb canada.I was on low carb a couple years ago & then I stupidly switched to WW and GAINED almost all my weight back!! SO, I decided to give SB a try.I strated on Jan10/2002 but haven't had a weigh in day yet.So far I'm loving it!!
A friend of mine started SB on Jan.2/2002 & as of this morning she is down 17 pounds. :roll:

Carol from Kamloops,B.C.

tamarian
Mon, Jan-14-02, 13:00
Originally posted by Carol56
Hi...I'm a new/old poster to low carb canada.....
Carol from Kamloops,B.C.

Oh yes, welcome back Carol!

By the way, your previous account/user name is still active if you want to use it. If you forgot the pass word, just click on the forgot password link.

Nice to see you back! :)

Wa'il

Mags
Tue, Jan-15-02, 00:47
I've just finished reading Sugar Busters! and it seems like a sensible plan. My question to anyone that has done or is doing Sugar Busters! is: how difficult is it to follow, and do carb cravings return with the introduction of grains?

Hestia
Mon, Jan-21-02, 22:08
After careful (and not so careful) experimenting with various plans, I think Sugar Busters is the one that could fit.

I have a friend who has lost 100 pounds on this WOE. I need help with some of the questions I have. How can catsup be legal...isn't it loaded with sugar?

Talk to you later!

Hes

wate
Fri, Feb-15-02, 09:46
Hi! I'm new to the forum and trying to lose some weight and get a bit healthier using sugar busters. I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose but since there is a lot of diabetes in my family this WOE seemed sensible and do-able. I like the fact that very few foods are absolutely forbidden. I've lost my cravings for chocolate candy which was my big weakness and I'm slowly losing. My husband easily lost 20 pounds and he didn't even follow the diet that closely--he ate any old "whole wheat " bread, etc. However, it appears that to lose women have to stick very closely and read labels. Right now I'm on a mission to find a carb free sweetener for my coffee, cocoa etc. Any suggestions?

LetItBe
Tue, Mar-26-02, 16:42
In response to the catsup quest: I have found some SF ones at Whole Foods Market. There is also a recipe for making your own with tomatoes, onion, vinegar & artificial sweetner. It's pretty easy & you can adjust it to your own taste.
If you want that recipe, just let me know...I have tons of recipes! :)

KarenB
Fri, Mar-29-02, 20:59
Greetings!

What I know of SB is second-hand. My father was diagnosed with diabetes late last year, and he and Mom have switched to SugarBusters on the dr's advice. They love it.

About that sweetener: I'm in the process of switching from Splenda to stevia. I love my Splenda, but there's something attractive to me about using an all-natural, 0-carb sweetener.

Stevia's readily available here in my local health food store. They have it in packets (like Splenda or NutraSweet or Sweet-N-Low), and also in liquid form. I use the packets for now. The most difficult thing to get used to with stevia is how *little* is required to make something sweet! We're talking miniscule amounts here, for a cup of coffee or tea. A fraction of a teaspoon (and I don't mean 1/4 or 1/8, either--WAY less than that). You'll know if you've used too much by the aftertaste--rather like strong licorice. (I despise licorice, so that's great aversion therapy for me. :lol: )

There's my two pfennigs' worth. Good luck!

utgal
Thu, Apr-11-02, 15:54
I've ben doing Atkin's for 3 weeks, and now I am easing into the Sugar Busters diet. It seems more reasonable for me to follow long term , especially with the inclusion of whole grain breads and fruit.

Wanda BH
Sat, Apr-20-02, 21:31
:D :D :D

I READ ATKIN'S AND OF COURSE TRIED FOR AT LEAST A MONTH, I ALMOST KILL FOR A PIECE OF FRUIT AN A SALAD....IT WAS HARD..VERY HARD :(
BUT BECAUSE OF A FRIEND :D (THANK GOD), DISCOVER SUGAR BUSTERS! :idea:
IT WAS SENCIBLE, REAL AND OF COURSE IT WASN'T HARD TO FOLLOW AT ALL....VERY HAPPY WITH MY NEW WAY OF LIVING

SINCE SEP/2001 LOST 38 POUNDS AND HOPEFULLY STILL GOING STRONG...

FROM A VERY TROPICAL PLACE !!!!!

SEE YA LATER

:Party:

LadyWendy
Mon, Apr-29-02, 08:46
I have been on Sugar Busters (admittedly, off and on) since Auguest of 2000. I have lost over 60 pounds so far and feel good.
I want to learn more about Atkin's and other diets that cut out starches and sugars. My body definitely feels yucky after eating such foods. I am happy to have found this forum. Excellent JOb Everyone! :wave:

LadyWendy
Mon, Apr-29-02, 08:52
Originally posted by LadyWendy
I have been on Sugar Busters (admittedly, off and on) since August of 2000. I have lost over 60 pounds so far and feel good.
I want to learn more about Atkin's and other diets that cut out starches and sugars. My body definitely feels yucky after eating such foods. I am happy to have found this forum. Excellent JOb Everyone! :wave:

LetItBe
Fri, May-03-02, 10:21
I haven't checked in for a while & was just curious to see how everyone was doing. Hopefully you are all full of good news! :yay:

So far so good here. I'm sticking with the plan and am down 20 lbs total. I've also stuck with my 3-5 x/week exercise (some mornings are much much harder than others).
I got good news the other day that my insulin is back to normal. Now I'm hoping everything else will get in alignment!

The hot weather is bringing on a new food challenge for me & I'm hoping some of you might have suggestions.
I used to be a big sandwich person & now...carbs are still my hardest thing to reduce! I'm already thinking to when my tomato plants start producing & those hot nights when nothing is better than a good ol' BLT with lots of mayo...sorry, drifted for a minute! :yum: Anyway, I need to find some quick & easy food ideas for hot weather...other than salad & more salad.
Grillin' all our meats & even some veggies will help for dinner, but I need easy ideas for work lunches. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Wanda BH
Sat, May-04-02, 18:37
ok guys!!!!!!1 SB really works!!!!!!!

being on SB since sep/2001....now I'm 45 pounds less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SB is easy, simple, sensible, real and even w/ some carbs(stone ground bread), you never feel hungry and w/ those carbs binges that sometimes occurs....you never will feel that w/ sugar busters! because of course you can eat fruits, veggies and some carbs.....

keep losing weight thanks for SB!

:Party:

Kerouac_64
Mon, May-06-02, 18:42
Hi gang,

I've been LCing for a short time now, and have just recently purchased some SUGARBUSTERS products.

I was shopping at www.cajungrocer.com and found a section called SUGARBUSTERS. They have a selection of whole wheat breads/pastas, juice-flavored sugar-free drinks [using aspertame w/ a bit of saccrin] and a selection of low carb SOUPS. in ready-to-eat 1 lb containers.

I bought the sample pack consisting of [2] tomato basil soup, [2] chicken catchitorie, [2] Turkey and sausage gumbo.

I really like a soup as a late night snack or change of pace breakfast. Filling and hearty!

Soup update: they also list a 7-bean soup....can't believe the carbs are only 17g per 1 cup serving. Wow! Beans where one last food craving I was looking to aleviate. Currently OUT OF STOCK though.

Cajungrocers has a great selection of meats, seafoods and even prepared entrees. Looks like some hidden carbs in the prepared entrees, but might be worth a person's carb limit for the day! LOL

I thought I'd give the juice drinks a try, as I really miss drinking real fruit juice.

Best of luck everyone! This is my WOE for life!!!!

Kerouac_64

:wave:

kelli29
Sat, May-18-02, 12:16
I have been following Sugar Busters for about a month. It is a great way to eat whoe grains, fruit, and other "carbs". I have lost about7 pounds with SB, after going off of Carb. Addicts. I am also walking. Please let me know if anyone else is interested in SB talking.
Thanks.

Patisuki
Wed, May-22-02, 22:46
Hi! I have been doing since Feb. 1, 2002. I have lost a total of 40#. I walk on my treadmill 40 minutes 5 to 6 days a week. I really miss being able to eat whole grains. I was wondering how hard it would be to convert to the sugar busters without getting sick. Does anyone know if this would be adviseable? I don't know alot about SB but, I have heard that it works well. Can anyone give me some sound advice? I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Patisuki

kelli29
Sun, Jun-02-02, 14:37
I have been following sugar busters for a couple of months. I really enjoy the plan. I had been playing around with low-carb for a long time (carb addicts, atkins), but I would get burned out easily. A teacher taht I work with let me read SB and I was in love with the plan. It seems so easy to remember if it is refined, or white, it is probably not good for you.
Good luck with SB!!
:spin:

Patisuki
Sun, Jun-02-02, 19:18
Thanks for the info. I bought the book also. I just haven't had time to read it. How much weight have you lost on it vs the other low carb plans?

Thanks Again!
Suki
:wave:

kelli29
Mon, Jun-03-02, 15:07
The book will explain everything you will need to be successful on SB. I have lost about 10 pounds on SB. I have lost about 15 on the "mix n match" carb diets.
I have to admit, I fell off of the wagon this weekend, so I am having to get back on plan.
The stone ground bread is really good and the brown rice is very good.
One thing to remember, SB will also lower cholesterol and make you much healthier.
I try to remember that sugar and "white" food is like a drug in my system and it shuts it down.

God Bless.
Kelli

kayrose
Mon, Jun-03-02, 21:10
I have been following 'the Carbohydrate Addict's' program for about a week. I don't know how close it follows sugar-busters, but I have found it super-easy. i have not been weighing myself, but jeans that didn't fit 2 weeks ago do now. The first couple of days were pretty rough, but the constant physical craving for sugary/starchy snacks is pretty much gone. The "habit" for cookies/sweets while I watch tv/relax/do chores is still sometimes hard to resist. But this is certainly WAY easier than Atkins. This is realistic for a life-long WOE. :thup:

Patisuki
Tue, Jun-04-02, 21:14
I began to SB today. I have lost 42# on the atkins plan, but have been at a plateau for about 2 1/2 weeks. Also, it is so restrictive and this plan seem more like a sensible menu. Hope you all do well! Keep in touch and let me know your progress. I will do the same.

:roll:
Thanks,
Suki

ruthlamb
Sun, Jun-16-02, 23:55
Hello everyone. I have been reading the posts and am heartened by so much success with Sugar Busters. It seems much easier and more "normal" than Atkins which I found difficult and not effective. (I NEVER got into ketosis...NEVER)...

I would like to find a forum where people share experiences, and also weekly menus.

Thanks for all replies. RUTH *-D

cherylco
Tue, Jul-02-02, 22:23
Hi Linda just started SB on 7/1.
I read the book and it really makes a lot of sense for me.

Patisuki
Thu, Jul-04-02, 08:23
Hi All!

I have lost 7# on SB and am seriously thinking of going back to the Atkins plan. I have lost energy on the SB diet. I get sleepy during the day and have to force myself to walk my 2 miles on the treadmill. I will try it a while longer, at least I have'nt gained any weight back!! Good luck to all!

Suki ;)

ruthlamb
Thu, Jul-04-02, 21:25
I couldn't lose on Atkins, and hated the excessive restrictions. I have lost 6 pounds so far on SB, and people have begun to notice. I do not feel any bad side effects -- on the contrary, I do not even carve sugary treats. :roll:

Patisuki
Thu, Jul-04-02, 22:05
I don't crave sweets either. I just feel more tired on the SB compared to Atkins. :roll:

Marybee
Sat, Jul-06-02, 07:22
Hi-
I'd be happy to correspond with you. I've just found out I have diabetes (I'm 51 yrs old) and my doctor told me to go on the sugarbusters diet. I am mostly sticking to the foods suggested and monitoring the grams of sugar in foods and sticking with foods that have no sugar added. I'm not really portioning, as I am pretty compulsive about food. I'm, of course, not losing much weight at all. I do, however, feel much more energetic.
Would love to hear from you. My home emial is sugarbegone~aol.com.
Take care,
Marybee

molly1844
Sun, Jul-28-02, 06:13
Hi everyone! I'm molly.

I started SugarBusters in December of 2001. So far I have lost 48#.

Before SugarBusters I was on PPP and then CALP and lost a total of 46#. So that's a grand total of 94#.

I'm about halfway to my goal weight.

I like the wider choice of foods on SugarBusters and being able to eat fruit again. And I have found that I lose weight at about the same rate I did on the more restrictive carb plans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone here. :spin:

Marybee
Sun, Jul-28-02, 07:16
Hi Molly,
Sounds like you are doing great on the Sugar Busters diet. I have been on it for a month and have hardly lost a thing. I really haven't cheated until this past weekend, so I don't know what the problem is, except my portions are too big. I like the diet but I find the perameters too vague. Sometimes I don't know if Ican have something or not.
I have been corresponding with Ruth L about the sugar busters also.
My home email is sugarbegone~aol.com
Take care,
:D

molly1844
Sun, Jul-28-02, 07:36
Hi Marybee!

There are a couple of things that could be delaying your weight loss.
Please note that this is primarily from my own experience and not the SB book. You are right -- it can be a tad vague at times.(Hopefully the new book coming out will clarify things)

If you have been on a series of diets in the past, especially LowFat/Low Calorie it may take your body some time to heal from the effects of that. Yo-yo Dieting takes a lot out of the system and your body needs a chance to recuperate. (There is good info about that process in Dr. Schwartzbein's book- the Schwartzbein Principle. Also Susanne Sommers mentions that she did not lose weight at first then one day it just started melting off.)

Now the next issue takes some sleuthing on your part.

Are you eating too many starchy carbs? I find that I cannot eat more than 3 servings a day of starchy carbs and continue to lose weight. I also find that bread is the biggest offender for me so I try to keep it to one slice a day.

How about dairy? Some folks find that milk stalls them. I don't drink milk but have no problem with cheese and yogurt.

Diet Soda and/or caffeine stalls some people.

You might try eliminating these things just one at a time for a few days to see if they affect your loss.

Hope this helps.
molly :wave:

Patisuki
Sun, Jul-28-02, 09:03
Hi Molly!

I began the Atkins diet on Feb. 1, 2002. As of June 1, 2002, I had lost 40#. I lost weight but was sick of the foods. I then switched to the Sugar busters diet and lostan additional 12# to equal a total of 52#. I have been at a stand still for 4 weeks. I have an additional 75# to lose and could really use some pointers. You are doing excellent!! What is a typical daily menu that you follow? Also, do I have to follow the 14 day plan listed in the book exactly day to day?? Help!!!

Suki

ruthlamb
Sun, Jul-28-02, 15:13
Hi gang ! Seems we have acquired the beginnings of a little SB Group?!

I too seem to have slow or no weight loss for my SB efforts -- and I do think the culprit may be staches. I simply have been eating tOO MUCH food -- and not drinking enough.

So -- I propose that we try to establish two good habits together -- for one week starting tomorrow, MONDAY July 29th -- and report the results.

1. Only two starchy carbs per day -- and only whole wheat/whole grain
2. Glass of water or other non-cal drink before and after each meal.

Anyone want to take the Ruth Challenge? Next week we can do a Suki Challenge, or a Marybee Challenge..

Let me know... *-D

My email is ruthlamb~aol.com if anyone wants to correspond directly. GOOD LUCK...

ruthlamb
Sun, Jul-28-02, 15:15
Whoops -- typo on my email address: that's ruthlamb~aol.com -- without the little Spanish mark!! *-D

ruthlamb
Sun, Jul-28-02, 15:17
Too weird -- even though I am typing my email address correctly -- it keeps inserting the little ~ mark. Sorry, hope this isn't too confusing. I'm am ruthlamb and then just add the "at sign" and aol.com YIKES!

molly1844
Sun, Jul-28-02, 17:44
Hi Suki!
I don't think four weeks without a weight loss is unusual. Terribly frustrating of course! But nothing to really worry about.

Have you noticed a pattern for your weight loss? I know that I lose really well for 2-3 weeks then nothing for 2-3 weeks. Just seems to be how my body releases fat. Drives me crazy sometimes (I wanna be skinny NOW!) but I know that I have to learn to honor and respect how my body works.

At SugarBusters.com there are interviews with the authors (in the FAQ section). One of the Drs. states that the menu plans in the book are really geared more for maintenance than weight loss.

I have always put together my own menus using SB acceptable foods. I love to cook so I have had fun creating new recipes that work for the Plan.

Hope this helps.
molly :spin:

molly1844
Sun, Jul-28-02, 17:58
Hey Ruth!
Count me in! Shall we start tomorrow?

molly :)

ruthlamb
Sun, Jul-28-02, 20:58
Dear Molly et al --

GREAT -- yes, let's start tomorrow.

Today was a good day -- still more FOOD overall than strictly needed, but good quality for the most part. (I DID have about 10 tortilla chips...NOT so good...)

I will weigh in tomorrow and begin the Ruth Challenge for one full week.
I bet I lose 3 pounds!!

TTFN,
Ruth
*-D

Anyone else joining us?? All welcome!

RobinG.
Tue, Nov-19-02, 18:35
im just really disappointed in how many people in this forum have stated that there are no carbs allowed in atkins. if you read the book, you would see that induction includes 20 carbs, which should come from VEGETABLES. so those of you who say you miss veggies and salads.. they were never omitted from the atkins woe! induction is 2 weeks. or, i can be for as long as you like and it DOES INCLUDE VEGGIES, and slowly you add in carbs, which can include fruit. and you keep adding carbs until you reach a point where you are no longer losing or you are doing lifetime management.

ruthlamb
Tue, Nov-19-02, 21:13
Dear Robin --

I think the basic complaint about Atkins is that there just aren't enough carbs for basic normalized family eating.

Obviously you have done very well on it, but many people feel that Sugar Busters, which limits carbs to whole grains, some fruits and many veggies is just easier to live with from the "get go."

I have not lost weight however on Sugar Busters -- it may just be too liberal in the carbs for me to budge my insulin-resistant fat...

Meanwhile, what works for you is...WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. Perhaps you could post a few favorite daily menu plans to help convince us that Atkins is "livable", not just something to grit ones teeth (hee hee) about.

*-D

RobinG.
Wed, Nov-20-02, 08:07
HI,
Thanks for the reply! I just wanted people to know, (so they can decide on what plan they would like to begin or switch to) that there are carbs allowed on atkins. but i came to this area because i wanted more information on the other plans. i think that in general, most of these plans have the same general concept, sugar is BAD!! after reading the posts here, i have realized that atkins IS the most restrictive in carbs. ive done it for months then came to a hault in losing any weight whatsoever. i stayed on induction almost the whole time bc i felt that i was fullfilled with that eating plan. but i got incredibly discouraged by not losing anymore weight, that i wandered off the plan completely and gained some weight back. so now im back to atkins induction. taking one meal at a time! i personally like crustless quiches, (easy enough to just slice a piece and warm it up) roast beef slices with mayo, sausage and peppers and onions, steak-ums with onions and some melted swiss cheese. chicken with fajita seasoning ,with onions and peppers..
But now i would like to add in whole wheat bread that i will make myself, (i think that is allowed on sugar busters) but worry how that will effect me, and will it cause a craving or a stall? but thats pretty much why im here reading up on sugar busters. to see how others are doing on it. and it seems there is
alot of success with it. :roll:

ruthlamb
Wed, Nov-20-02, 09:36
Dear Robin,

My on-line friend Molly has lost over 100 pounds on Sugar Busters and Atkins, combined. I think she switched to SB because the Atkins restrictions were demoralizing after a long time (several months).

I think adding two starches daily (no more) that a VERY high in fiber should be okay. I eat some wonderful torttillas (Atkins approved, by the way) that are only 60 calories, 12 grams of carbs and 9 grams of fiber or a "net carbs-fiber" total of only 3 carbs. They toast nicely, are crispy and flavorful, and I top them with lo-fat cream cheese and a little cinnamon and Splenda for a nice breakfast.

I also have been eating whole oat oatmeal, even the instant kind that has at least 4 grams fiber and no sugar at all. I add 1/4 cup Fiber One to it, and heat it in the microwave for one minute. You can top it with a little half n' half or milk, cinnamon and Splenda for a very hearty, satisfying breakfast. Total: 125 calories, 9 grams of fiber, 23 grams carbs or 23-9 = 14 carbs total, no sugar.

My issue seems to be too many meals, and not enough exercise -- since my beloved Collie OREO died this summer. I used to get an additional 4,000 steps a day (I do wear a pedometer) just walking him 4 or 5 times around the block every day. Even walking on my treadmill and lifting weights 2X a week, and playing serious singles tennis 4X weekly isn't enough. My sturdy muscular body is used to those 5,000 extra steps a day. Ah...it's a drag having this famine-proof female-post-baby-post-menopause metabolism!! At least I enjoy exercise.

Good luck to you -- the only "break thru" advice I have is to up the exercise, even a little. A 1-2 mile walk after dinner is supposed to raise metabolism the MOST in overweight women, so perhaps you can squeeze that in??

Ruth

Wanda BH
Fri, Nov-22-02, 19:29
what kind of tortillas do you buy???
whole wheat?, corn?

ruthlamb
Fri, Nov-22-02, 21:30
I buy tortillas on line from La Tortilla Factory. They are delicious, once you get used to them. Even my teenaged son loves them with pizza cheese and sauce on top.

On the Web at: www.latortillafactory.com

They specialize in lo-carb alternatives...

The facts: nice size (about 7.5" diameter) whole wheat, whole wheat bran,
oat bran (maybe), 60 calories, 2 g. fat, 120 mg. sodium, 12 grams carbs,
but 9 grams fiber, so they equal just 3 grams of "effective carbs".
No sugar, no trans fats, no alcohol...

I toast one plain in the toaster oven, then top with a little lite cream cheese and cinnamon and Splenda for a crunchy yummy breakfast treat.

molly1844
Sun, Nov-24-02, 06:18
I use the same tortillias that Ruth does (HI Ruth!) and tehy are great.

You can also make WW Tortillas. They are quite simple. My recipe for them is on the board.

molly :sunny: