PDA

View Full Version : From Canada The numbers I get are different

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tabno1
Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:49
Hi there,

Could someone possibly tell me what the ideal numbers are in Canada, our test results are mostly in MMOL/L... my numbers are definately not the same as the ones I have seen here.

For an example my LDL is 2.8
My HDL is .98
My Cholesterol/HDL Ratio is 4.5
Triglicerides are 1.32

Thanks
Tabitha

doreen T
Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:30
hi Tabitha,

Although we tend to see the US Conventional numbers often, the SI units of measurements (Systême Internationale) are used by nearly every other country in the Western world, including Canada.

I've posted information about cholesterol and triglyceride numbers, and what they mean in this post .. Both mg/dL and mMol/L values are included.

Basically, your numbers look pretty good .... LDL is below 3.3, and triglycerides are below 2.3 :thup:

HDL (the so-called "good" cholesterol) is desirable to be greater than 1.03. If you can get your HDL up, then the chol:HDL ratio would go downo, which would be good. A ratio of 3.7 to 4.6 is considered "moderate risk"; below 3.0 is very low risk ;)

Here are some things you can do to help boost your HDL:
- Avoid man-made trans fats like the plague that they are .. partially hydrogenated oils, margarine and vegetable shortenings.

- Eat more monounsaturated fat. Olive oil, canola, olives, avocadoes, raw nuts and unrefined nut oils (not peanuts or cashews, which are legumes not nuts), flax seed & oil.

- Eat more omega-3 oils from fatty cold water fish such as salmon, albacore tuna, mackerel and sardines. If you choose canned fish, use water- or broth pack .. avoid oil-pack unless it's olive oil. Soybean, safflower, cottonseed or "vegetable" oil is high in omega-6 fats, which will negate any benefit from the omega-3 fat in the fish. If you can't eat fish, then take fish oil supplements.

- Choose eggs from free-run hens. The yolks will have a more desirable omega-3 to 6 ratio than standard eggs. Next best are eggs from hens that have been supplemented with flaxseed.

- Exercise. Aerobic type especially ... minimum 3 times a week to get your heart rate up and sustained for 20 to 30 minutes, plus proper warm-up and cool-down. Brisk walking is excellent :)

- If you smoke ... QUIT. If you live with or work with other smokers, try to help them to quit. Second-hand smoke is as bad as first-hand when it comes to heart health.

- An occasional glass of red wine may be beneficial, as long as there are no contraindications against alcohol consumption.

hth,

Doreen