PDA

View Full Version : Ketosis question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JeannieFan
Wed, Jul-18-01, 15:29
Hello all,
I am having problems with my keto sticks turning pink.....sometimes not even pink! Does this happen to any other diabetics even though they follow the atkins diet? I was wondering if it had anything to do with sugar spilling into the urine and resulting in a false negative on the ketones.....any help with this will be wonderful...thanks Nancy

Falemb
Wed, Jul-18-01, 21:21
I wish I could help you with that.
I'm getting concerned as I'm to opposite...mine are turning almost the deep purple my first week.
I take 35U of insulin at bedtime, and 3 different diabetic medications during the day (total 7 pills daily). Maybe someone can help us both...as to why yours aren't turning and whymy seem to be turning so quickly.

JeannieFan
Thu, Jul-19-01, 20:48
Thank you for posting.....I'm so envious...!
Anywho....what are you eating....post and maybe that will get you some answers....and are you drinking enough water. I drink about a gallon or more a day! Take care and keep up the good work...Nancy

Ruth
Fri, Jul-20-01, 09:34
Hi ya,

Lots of water will dilute the ketones so that the strips don't change colour. Very little water...
probably deep purple, just as Falemb described. Lots of people don't worry about ketones showing on test strips, they use the scale or a measuring tape to judge how they are doing with their program. I drink lots of water & got depressed about little or no ketones, so I just stopped testing. :p

Ruth

alaskan
Mon, Jan-07-02, 14:01
I'm a type II diabetic and the highest reading I get is 40 (moderate) normally it is 5-15. I drink 96 oz of water per day. BUT I'm Loosing weight

LCer in NW
Tue, Jan-22-02, 19:57
Just be sure that you do not sacrifice water intake just to get a deeper indication. The water is so important. I also draw in about 95-100 ounces a day. I am light pink, but did lose either weight, belt length, or fat (resulting in increased definition of muscles throughout body). :thup:

dragonfly
Sat, May-18-02, 18:50
The day after I started the Atkins diet I had the max amount on the keto stick of ketones in my urine. I checked it again to make sure it was right and it showed the same thing. A friend of mine who is not diabetic has been on the diet for 6 days and she is showing the next one above a trace. I thought because I was diabetic that it was easier to go into ketosis. I guess I was wrong. :roll:

Lisa N
Sun, May-19-02, 18:35
....Blood sugar readings! As long as my blood sugar readings are in the normal range and the weight is coming off, I know I'm on track. Personally, I don't even use the ketone sticks because for me, they are not a reliable indicator of how I'm doing. The pants-o-meter, the scale and my glucometer tell me much better where I'm at.