PDA

View Full Version : New comer, here.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Arizona
Thu, Aug-07-03, 21:59
Hello,
I have absolutely hit my bottom ( and it's pretty big) with a seeming inability to lose weight.

My name is Fran in real life, and I live in Arizona.

I have just started a low-carb program (2 days ago). It sure is not easy detoxing off carbs. I am a true carb addict!!!

I am looking forward to sharing with folks in this forum.
sincerely,
arizona/ fran:)

alaskaman
Fri, Aug-08-03, 00:42
Hi Fran - you found your way to some really great forums here. You are right, the first couple of days are hard. Most everybody here says it quickly gets easier, mostly. OTH, adjusting to any dietary change is hard. When I was trying to do the ultralow fat thing, bottles of olive oil in the pantry called to me in the night, saying "drink meee, driiink meee" and sometimes I did. Bill

Iowagirl
Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:40
"I have absolutely hit my bottom ( and it's pretty big) " :lol:

Welcome Fran! Best of luck to you!

Atriana
Fri, Aug-08-03, 07:51
Hi Fran!
The first 3 days are the hardest - it gets easier!

Honeyrose
Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:01
Hi Fran and welcome aboard! You're gonna just loooooove it here! :dazzle:
I hear Arizona's a very pretty place. I have a great aunt and uncle who lives out there, but I have yet to visit them.
Carbs were very hard for me to. I'm a sweetaholic. Sweets were always my downfall but since I've found this site, I've gotten soooo much support and inspiration from others, I just can't give up! No one will let me! :lol: :lol:
Ipromise you it does get easier. I can look at all those goodies now and pass them right up. If I fall now, it's because I just wanted to just because, and I just pick myself right back up! :roll:
Good luck to ya and let me know how you're doing! :yay:

Honeyrose

harleydee
Fri, Aug-08-03, 10:33
Hi Fran and Welcome!!

It's nice to have you onboard.

This is a great place and the people here are soooo supportive. If ever you need info, advice or support, this is the place to come.

Good luck!!

Arizona
Fri, Aug-08-03, 19:46
:yay: WOW!!!

What a great bunch of people you are.

My "slippery spot" (if you will) is COCA COLA or DR. PEPPER!!!I tell you what...I only made it thru the FIRST day without breaking down and having a dr. pepper. MAN!!!! I'll give 'er another go, tho. Like someone said... "one day at a time"...for me and Coca cola, it's MINUTE at a time...which, obviously, I have not been successful at.

I'll hang in, tho, and I'll keep communicating with you folks.

Yes. Arizona is a nice place. I have lived here for a lot of years. I moved here from Wyoming. Got tired of chaining up to get to the highway when I wanted to go somewhere. :lol:

THanks "youse" guys.
Sincerely,
Fran/ Arizona

alaskaman
Fri, Aug-08-03, 20:00
Oh, I know what you mean about the coke and dr pepper. When I was young I worked in a garage in LA, and one of our fringies was free access to the soda cooler - the old fashioned kind where the sodas sat up to their necks in icewater. And once a week the truck would come and we would all vote on how many Dr Peppers, how many cases of Dad's Root Beer, whatever. I suppose that's one of the things that made me what I am - a diabetic. Cheers. Bill

harleydee
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:44
Hey Fran!!

I was (and still am) a die hard fan of soft drinks. I've limited my intake of them though - and now only drink diet pop. By the way, Diet Dr Pepper is good!

Anyhow, I've told myself that I can only drink diet pop 3 times a week. And that's only if I drink 1 extra litre of water per glass of diet pop. That way, I'm hoping the extra water will compensate for and flush out the aspartame.

However, Diet Rite makes sodas with Splenda instead of aspartame and they are supposed to be really good - I've never tried any though.

Good luck!!! I know the cravings can be tough, but stick it out and, like everything else, it will get easier with time. But like you said, one day at a time!!

Arizona
Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:10
Thank you, Harleydee and Alaskaman.

Yeah. Those soda's are a true "killer". Seems like there's NOOOOO fun left... LOL... I am joking, of course.

Years ago, I gave up drugs and alcohol via 12 step program. Three years ago, I gave up cigarettes, via God, patches, and a true desire to continue living.

NOOOOOOW the hard part. Food!!! Ya' can't just quit eating like you can the other things. Changing eating habits has to be the one most difficult thing I've ever done.

Hey. :) I am old enough to recall soda's up to their little caps in ice water. :)

Thanks for the support, folks. I actually need to lose 50 pounds. I am 5'6", female, and weigh 180 pounds. I am also small framed, so you KNOOOW I'm overweight. I am soon to be 55 years old which, I believe, some age makes it more difficult.

I am a competitive horse rider and this extra weight does NOT help my poor horseguys. :)

Thanks again.
sincerely,
Fran / arizona

Honeyrose
Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:35
Hi Fran! I know how you feel about sodas! My weakness was Pepsi! I would buy a liter of Pepsi and dare anybody to touch it! :lol: Of course, I would buy everyone else their own drink, but do not touch mine! :nono:
You know how people say coffee wakes them up in the morning? Well, not me! Coffee did nothing for me, but give me a Pepsi?? Five minutes later, I'm like DING! wide awake! :roll:
Since I've be LCing, I've switched to diet Sunkist, which to me is very tasty and diet Lipton brisk tea. To me they taste almost like regular drinks. Since I've had my surgery, though I drink mostly water and I notice my skin is clearing up now, so I'm trying to accumulate a taste for water. :Puke:
Just like the other addictions you've overcome, I'm confident you're own your way to reaching this goal also. :thup:
Well, have a great weekend and stop by and visit sometime! :wave:

Arizona
Sat, Aug-09-03, 20:08
Hello Honeyrose,
Thank you for your response.
I just logged into the net a few minutes ago to see if I can eat popcorn for a snack....NOOOOOOOO!!!! LOL

Yeah. Coke and/ or Dr. Pepper are my preference for a.m. waker uppers. Coffee is only ok if I can have that very loaded with everything creamer...ie. Irish Cream,etc. Hazelnut. I cut that out quite awhile ago, tho.

So far today, all I that I have had are two meals of low carb, protein (meal replacer) drink. I am feeling like I would like to eat something. I wish popcorn weren't so loaded.

Ahhhhh, well. I'll get better at this.

BTW, what do YOU eat for a snack?

fran/ arizona

harleydee
Sun, Aug-10-03, 18:08
Hey Fran,

Well as you know, giving up anything is not easy.

I was watching tv yesterday and an overweight woman came on. She said something that I thought was great. She said:

"When you are addicted to alcohol, you can remove yourself from the presence of alcohol and therefore away from the temptation. When you are on a diet though, food is everywhere and is something your body needs so you cannot avoid it."

I thought that was a great way of putting it. Maybe all those people who have never been on a diet who can't understand why we can't just lose weight will understand it's not as easy as it seems.

And unfortunately, there is no miracle weight loss "patch"...if there was, we would all be using it and there would be no need for Atkins or any other type of diet! ......sigh........only in a dream world......

However, in the real world, it takes determination and will power.

Good luck and I hope this helps you.

Arizona
Mon, Aug-11-03, 22:03
Hello Harleydee,

Yes. I sure do agree with the lady. If we could JUST cease ALLLLLLL eating, we'd get over it...but since food is right up there with air and water...sigh. LOL LOL

What does Harleydee stand for? Do you ride?

sincerely,
fran/ arizona

BeccaResRN
Tue, Aug-12-03, 03:01
Hello i am also in Arizona and would like to welcome you...Where in the state are you located?

I think hot wings are a great snack or budding meat with cream cheese spread on it and rolled up, And I'm not sure if you cook but real food seems to help me stay satified more than shakes...i like shakes for breakfast
Rotisserie chicken is a good thing to pick up at like Fry's if you don't have time to cook...Lord know's i have days when i don't think I have time to breathe.

Arizona
Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:45
HI !!!! How nice to hear from another fellow "Zonie". :)
I am located in Yuma. You'd think that this fat would just melt off, but.... .
I see by your stats that you have been very successful with this. You are an inspiriation for me.

Thanks,
Fran/ Arizona