PDA

View Full Version : PCOS vs PMS?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

badgoat
Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:26
Hello good people,

I'm sorry if this is an oft-repeated question...I cruised through PCOS faq and did a search here but didn't see a specific thread on this question:

How can you tell the difference between PCOS and regular old PMS from Hell? (Besides going through the tests, that is...)

I started taking the pill 7 years ago at age 29 b/c I had horrific PMS and very heavy bleeding, depression/irritability, acne...just awful periods. The pill cleared everything up, but I'm also having a hard time losing weight and wondering if that is the (or a) culprit. My periods were regular, just terrible. No facial or body hair problems either. No skin tags or brown areas. I do remember one side (the left) hurting more than the other, even sometimes during ovulation and that my periods would alternate being really bad one month and only terrible the next.

I guess the only way to know is to see what going off them does for weight loss. Periods from Hell are simply not worth it otherwise. But if it's keeping me FAT, that's not worth it either.

But, after reading a bit about PCOS, now I'm not sure about stopping the little beasties.

Comments or suggestions?
badgoat

Shazzer
Wed, Aug-06-03, 19:41
I had horrible PMS and periods for years before being put on Glucophage when I was properly diagnosed with PCOS. The PMS symptoms and periods lessened considerably, even more so when I was put on a low estrogen birth control pill (Zovia). My experience with PMS after taking Glucophage and Zovia is that I had much less pain and discomfort. Before, I would have cramps for 2-3 days, prolonged bleeding, headaches, and pain during ovulation. After medication, I guess what you would call normal periods and PMS, I only have cramps the day of my period, a very short period, and that is about it.

In answer to your question, however, the only way you can really tell if your symptoms are PMS and/or PCOS is to see a doctor about it. There can be underlying problems for bad PMS and periods aside from PCOS.

Also, hormones can cause weight gain, especially if you take a high dose of estrogen. There are types of birth control pills that have less estrogen in them. I hope this helps.

badgoat
Wed, Aug-06-03, 19:50
Yes, it does help...thanks for your info/experience and the honor of being your first post here!

Welcome! :)
badgoat