PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from an Alaskan carb junkie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

karolak
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:18
Well...This is the first post to the first forum I have ever joined.

I started a low carb diet exactly one week ago. I have lost 3lbs and I think it is a miracle that I have actually gone an entire week without sugar. I can now relate to smokers who quit cold turkey or alchoholics who can never again take just one drink!

I do have a couple of concerns I am hoping someone else may have experienced and overcome.
1. My saliva tastes very sweet most of the time (wierd)
2. In the last couple of days I have been unusually fatigued and foggy in the head

I am also having a hard time staying in ketosis but I am pretty sure this is due to the fact that I sometimes have up to two of the "sugar free" low carb bars a day and I have herd that the maltitol can take you out of ketosis. I am cutting down on these slowly - my husband call them my "step-down-method".

Good Luck and God Bless

Lori H
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:30
Hello Alaskan carb junkie from a Tennesse carb junkie! :lol: It's normal to have withdrawal symptoms in induction. That's probably the cause of the "fog." I had headaches, fatigue, nausea, etc. It goes away usually in 4 days to a week or so. Most people say stay away from the bars during induction. They cause problems for some people even after induction but don't bother others so you will have to experiment. Yes, I believe sugar addiction is just as bad as liquor and smoking in trying to quit. Good thing about it is that usually after you get through induction the cravings lessen considerably. They sure did for me. We are glad to have you here on the forum with us! Good luck!

deze
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:33
Hi ya Karolak..
I like your pic!!!
you are doing awesome.. the taste is the ketosis breath, that is normal... and the fatigue and fogginess is normal too, it is your body getting used to the lack of carbs... once you get past this you will feel light and energized.. stick with it cutie and you will do awesome.. congrats on the 3lbs gone forever!!!
Cheers,
jodi

ps.. if you start a journal then we can come and visit regularly!

karolak
Tue, Aug-05-03, 18:27
Thanks so much for the resopnses. Your encouragement and advice is very uplifting. I am glad I found this site.