PDA

View Full Version : Completely Discouraged HELP!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mhalla
Tue, Aug-05-03, 16:44
I've been doing this now for about 3 weeks. I recently went on medication (naproxen) for bursitis in my shoulder, and have gained back the 5lbs. that I had lost. I've been drinking water, haven't cheated, and the only thing I've changed (besides the medication) is adding an Atkins Bar in the morning (as I don't have time to make breakfast). I eat salads for lunch (2 cups) with hard boiled egg, an ounce of macadamia nuts for a snack and a piece of meat and veggies (usually broccoli) for dinner, with a few strawberries and whipped cream for desert.

I'm very discouraged and am thinking that maybe this isn't for me

does anyone have any advice?

Lori H
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:11
Hi Mahalla,
Sorry that things aren't going well for you. Is it possible that this is water gain? That is a huge concern for us women every month. 3-6 lbs. is normal for me but it goes away after TOM is over. Have you been exercising? Could be muscle gain. Also did you take your measurements before starting? You can lose inches without losing pounds. Please don't give up yet. It's too soon in the game plan. This diet works! Good luck and keep us posted!

mhalla
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:19
thanks. I didn't cheat (thank goodness) and the urge has passed. I'm going to try NOT eating the atkins bars. Maybe I don't process them well. It's really the only thing I've changed. I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.

It is my TOM, so maybe that's it. Maybe it will be better when it's over.

Mary

Lori H
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:22
I'd be willing to bet money that TOM is at fault here. I hate it but it's a fact of life. At least it's temporary right? The bars do cause problems for some people but my uneducated guess is that it's water retention.

deze
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:28
Mary,
you hang in there.. I bet the water retention is the culprit.. just stay on track and have patience.. if you arent cheating and are drinking water you will have a whoosh soon.. meaning the 5lbs will disappear.. and yes, if it is TOM time, then especially dont fret.. you will move through this...

go easy on the Atkins bars too, all bars are known to cause stalls at times....

the weight takes time to put on, and takes time to get rid of.. just stick with it girl, and you will be happy with the results!

Cheers,
jodi

Eri Z
Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:46
Hi Mahalla,
I just gained 2 of the pounds I lost--weighed myself yesterday and this morning woke up with TOM. I feel lighter and I'll stick to weighing myself on Mondays.
I was nervous about this TOM thing, because I stopped taking the Pill a month ago after having a 7 day period shortly after starting Atkins. I also added Atkins chocolate truffle stuff from a recipe in the book, but I'm not doing that this week and I'm holding off on the berries and nuts just to see how my body will do.
I did check the tape measure and I'd lost about 1/2 inch from my waist & hips!

Keep your spirits up!!
Eri Z

mhalla
Tue, Aug-05-03, 18:09
thanks so much to all for your wonderful words of encouragement. I'm going to hang in there! And cut out the bars and try drinking more water to see if I can get a visit from the woosh fairy!

thanks, again. All the kind words helped! I had almost cheated, but came and talked here instead, which helped!!

Mary