PDA

View Full Version : questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ryssa
Sat, Aug-02-03, 23:57
hi there
so glad i found this place

here are my questions
i'm thinking of starting the cadlp, but i have a small problem, about 8 years ago i had my stomach stapled (reduced in size not bypassed) at the time i weighed 400 lbs, i lost 200 of that and platoed for about 2 years. due to personal issues i gained back 80 :( the cadlp has you have a salad with the RM, and this would cause a serious problem for me, the salad alone would fill me up and i could eat maybe a few bites besides.
from what i've read here the cad didnt have the salad, could i follow that at the RM instead of the full plan (have not had a chance to read cad yet though planning to soon)
also since i cant eat as much at one time, i get hungry (stomach growling not "oh i think i'll eat something" hungry) is there a way to break a meal in half, and eat some now then the rest later?

or should i be looking at another plan entirely?
i took the test in the book and i'm definatly an addict, and it apeals to me the most of the ones i've looked at (have never been one for measuring and counting every little thing)

thanks SOOOO much for letting me babble :)
Ryssa

Tess M
Sun, Aug-03-03, 03:40
Hi Ryssa.. I'm new to CALP (although I've been CAD-ding for quite a while now), and am by NO means an expert, but just had a thought about your questions... The book says that ideally we should have 3 meals per day (no snacking), but never more than 4 meals per day. What if you modified your particular plan to include 4 meals every day--3 of which could just be smaller meals (more like a cm snack-half portions), and then have your reward meal, too... That way, you could eat about every 3-4 waking hours, and you would be getting plenty of protein/lc veggies to hopefully eliminate your cravings. I've noticed that when I get enough protein, I don't get hungry at all. Think that's the true answer (for me) to avoiding "the hungries".. If you are like me, you might be reaching for the most convenient thing to calm your grumbly tummy, and not really getting the nutrition that your body HAS to have. For your RM- If you only ate a very small salad (just a few bites), and then very small but EQUAL portions of the lc veggies/protein/carb goodies, you would be able to have "your cake and eat it, too"! Now-I may be way off in my thinking, and please-anyone more experienced correct me if needed, but this just seems like a solution to your problem that might work... Or maybe you could be more creative than I in planning for your meals--I just think that CALP could be a great thing for you. I don't think I've eaten this many healthy foods so consistently, in my entire life. Hope this will help you a little--I just KNOW that you can do it! :thup: Tess--Former Snack Food Queen"

Zuleikaa
Sun, Aug-03-03, 06:22
I think Tess' idea is a good one. Quality CSs taken not more than three times a day and a small RM to allow you the carbs a carbohydrate addict (CA)needs. The CSs should contain protein and cooked veggies in the amounts you can tolerate. Do not have protein shakes at these CSs though. They will just increase your hunger.

Good luck!!

Ryssa
Mon, Aug-04-03, 22:59
thanks so much guys, i'll definatly give it a try
am making lists of what i need and cleaning out my fridge and pantry, i know i can have anything at RM but till i get the hang of this i just KNOW i'll be too tempted, so better not to have them at all for now.

it's so nice to have a place where i can ask questions if i get stuck. and get actual answers instead of the gibberish i always seem to get from my doctor. (the only sensible thing ive heard him tell me was to get the cad book)

thanks again
Ryssa

Tess M
Tue, Aug-05-03, 01:27
Ryssa-So many doctors do specialize in gibberish, don't they? :) Sounds like yours is a smart cookie though, if he told you to get the CAD book! Mine hasn't ever told me anything so sensible. He was truly impressed with my bp at last visit, though--and immediately wanted to do blood work to see how I'm progressing. I talked him into giving me another 2 months, just to be sure that I've been doing everything right long enough to make a difference. I'm actually looking forward to it! All the best to you...