PDA

View Full Version : one question, please.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Shannonp
Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:12
What is the difference between CAD and CALP?

angel506cl
Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:23
CAD = Carbohydrate Addict's Diet

CALP = Carbohydrate Addict's Life Plan

The CALP plan says it is for people in their 40's, 50's and beyond.
It is pretty much the same as CAD. The differences I noticed are that CALP says you have to start your RM w/ a salad and that the RM has to be balanced 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, 1/3 veggies. I started on CAD, but am always aiming towards CALP.

Jalera2003
Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:48
Balance at the Reward meal is essentially the difference, plus the list of Complementary meal veggies is a bit stricter. Most people start out with CAD and then progress to CALP when there insulin levels are under control. Mine are not under control just now because of some major stress in my life so I'm eating what I want at RM. When i feel better I'll balance my RM again. It's a process and it's for life!!!

Tess M
Sat, Aug-02-03, 04:47
I recently switched from CAD to CALP. CAD does work, and I think for someone who has a lot of weight to lose, it probably would be the miracle "cure".. But, for those of us (sigh) who are older, menopausal (big time!), and suffering the effects of a lifetime of yo-yo dieting (always looking for the low fat answer), CALP is a really good way to go. At least it seems to be working better for me... On CAD, I really didn't understand the significance of a balanced RM meal. It wasn't really explained in great detail in the first book. I think that a lot of people would use that RM hour as a license to binge, and then wonder why they weren't losing any weight. I never exactly binged at RM, but I did tend to load up on the carbs that I had been missing all day, and sort of ignore the salad/lc veggie end of the meal. On CALP, if you start the meal with the small salad, then have a regular sized dinner plate (equal portions) of lc veggies, protein, and carb goodies--you really don't have room for lots of high carb foods. If nothing else, eating the CALP way has shown me the correct amount of carbs that I should be aiming for (which is a LOT less than I was eating on CAD!) I just think of CALP as the final "fine tuning" on the CAD way of eating. This is just my take on it... Others might have a different opinion. Hope this might help... And all the best to you on your switch! :)