PDA

View Full Version : vegetarian induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kasia
Thu, Jul-31-03, 23:40
Firstly i would like to say 'hello every one!' :yay:

well i'll get to my point right away.

1. I'M A VEGETARIAN ~ can i still do induction??(i do yeat fish) Is there any one here who has done induction on a vego diet?

is there any place where i can find a menu for vego induction

i'm ready to go ! i have my Ketodiastix and my multi V and potass/mag pills.

but can it be done?

etoiles
Fri, Aug-01-03, 00:14
Hi there!

Well eating fish I think that will really help with variety and eating out especially. I do not eat fish but here is some things I ate on induction:

Typical breakfast:
slice of quiche (made a lot of different kinds to keep interest!), or celery with cream cheese, or omelet, or roasted asparagus dipped in mayo with a slice of cheese, or raw veggies with dip.

Lunch - I did this wrong and ate low carb bar so can't help you here. Maybe tuna salad? If you have a microw. then little cubes of tofu with cheese tastes like mac and cheese.

Snack - Deviled eggs or an alternate breakfast item. Turnip fries are a good snack too.

Dinner - Stuffed mushrooms with side of smoked tofu, or spaghetti squash with alfredo and salad, or lettuce with shredded cheese, avacado, salsa, sour cream and 1/4 C. enchilada sauce broiled til cheese melted, chili rellenos, grilled portabella mushrooms with 1/2 C. rotel tomatoes and topped with mozz, various low carb soups, mock mashed potatoes with veggie burger, chopped veggies and mozz cubes dressed with pesto, artichoke with lemon butter, no tortilla fajita, etc, etc

Now who says they have no idea what a veggie can eat on Atkins!

Good luck kasia! :yay:

Kristine
Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:02
It's going to be boring, but it can be done. :thup: Just remind yourself that it's only two weeks - then you can start upping the carb levels and be a little more creative. :thup: Cheese, eggs, fish, and the lowest carb tofu you can find will probably be your main sources of protein. Be generous with the salad dressings and fat. :thup:

I don't know of any veggie meal plans, but you're probably better off to make sure you have a variety of prepared foods to choose from (hard boiled eggs, sliced cheese and veggies...) and eat what you're hungry for.

Good luck!

hawx
Sat, Aug-30-03, 04:58
I found the first week easy but the second week I lost motivation as I was bored with the samr foods. I dont eat fish though so you have more variety. I lost 14lbs in the induction but then gave up so am now trying again :)

UrbanGypsy
Sat, Aug-30-03, 05:25
Hi Kasia

I'm 100% vegetarian and having a fantastic with induction! So I'm sure you should find the fact that you eat fish makes it sublimely easy. :)

I try to keep a record of my favourite recipes in my journal, so whilst I do try and think of the meat-eaters from time to time (all the recipes are vegetarian but I suggest some additions they could use), you'll find an ever growing list of induction-friendly veggie meals. :)

Its also worth having a look through other vegetarian's journals in case they do the same... and there are often vege friendly menus on the recipe forum.

Good luck... and enjoy!!!

doreen T
Sat, Aug-30-03, 06:04
Low-carb whey protein shake mixes are suitable for Induction as well. Soy protein powders are acceptable too .. but they tend to taste chalky and so manufacturers often add fructose and other carby stuff to kill the taste. Good quality whey protein isolate will provide at least 20g protein per serve, and no more than 2 or 3g carbs. Many brands are sweetened with sucralose (Splenda).

Generally these are blended with ice cold water, but some folks like to add some cream or other fat such as flax oil. After Induction, you might choose to add a small amount of allowed fruit, such as berries. Believe it or not, half a small ripe avocado blended into a whey protein shake makes it nice and thick and creamy, and the bland taste just disappears. Avocadoes are permitted on Induction .. and are a good source of monounsaturate fat and fiber :thup:

Doreen

Chillygatr
Sat, Aug-30-03, 06:57
My twin daughters are vegetarian and this is a recipe that we all liked.

It's from a web site called www.trulylowcarb.com and the recipe is Mock-A-Roni and Cheese. It's is a copywrited recipe but they allow you to download it. Because of the copywrite, I can't re-print it here. Just go to the site. It asks for 1/2 cup pork rinds which I omit because I can't stand them and my kids won't eat them. I thought it was very tasty and I'm not a vegetarian. Only 5g of carbs per serving and 22g of protein.

Trulylowcarb (http://www.trulylowcarb.com/Recipes.htm)

JudyMH
Fri, Dec-12-03, 23:21
You can have Macadamia nuts, which are only 1 carb per 1/4 cup, or sunflower seeds, which are only 2 carbs per 1/4 cup. You can make an iced dessert using Silken Tofu and splenda and sugar free Davinci Syrups (Very tasty), just freeze it before eating it. Judy

SerenityNY
Wed, Mar-17-04, 02:24
Here is a example vegan menu:

Breakfast:
Soy Protein Powder, Vanilla 1 serving 110cal 1fat 0carb 24pro
Soymilk, Silk UNSWEETENED 8 oz 90 4 5 7
Peanut oil 1 tablespoon 119 14 0 0

Lunch:
Tofu, Firm 365 Organic 4 oz. 360 20 4 44
Mixed salad greens, raw 1 cup 9 0 2 1
Olive oil 1 tablespoon 239 27 0 0

Dinner:
Boca Burger 2 serving 160 2 12 26
Baby Spinach - Earthbound Organic 3 oz 10 0 7 2
Olive oil - 2 tablespoon 239 27 0 0
Lisanetti - Almond Cheddar (contains casein) 2 oz 110 2 6 14

Totals 1446 cals 97 fat 36 carb 118 protein

If you eat dairy you can sub out heavy cream for the soymilk and peanut oil with breakfast, and if you eat fish you can save almost 20 carbs with your dinner.