PDA

View Full Version : Plan Ahead Breakfast Idea [Scotch Eggs]

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joshgambit
Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:03
Something that I do is hard boil my eggs & let them cool, then I peel them. Take about 1/4 lb of uncooked bulk breakfast sausage & wrap the sausage around the egg. (Use a bit more if the sausage is a more fatty) So, in essence, you have a really big hard-boiled egg filled sausage ball.

Put it on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven until the sausage is cooked. Lay them on a paper towel to drain a bit, then I wrap them in some foil & put them in the fridge. I make 4 or 5 at a time & they're great for breakfast! I make these before I go camping; makes it really easy for breakfast.

Note that you cannot freeze these, unless you like your eggs rubbery & generally icky...

Let me know what you think if you try them!

Pax
Joshua

Sasigal
Wed, Aug-13-03, 09:02
Hmm, this sounds interesting, might have to give it a try!

Mossling
Sun, Aug-31-03, 19:10
Question: do you eat them cold, or reheat? If so, in what/how (can't use foil in a microwave.)

Jude

joshgambit
Tue, Sep-02-03, 04:55
You can remove them from the foil & heat them in the microwave. I prefer to eat them cold, myself.

Sooike
Fri, Sep-05-03, 13:43
I have tried this and it's really good.

hramsey76
Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:57
Wow, thats a great suggestion, I'm going to boil some eggs right now!

shannon01
Sat, Aug-21-04, 00:07
Hi! Pleased to meet all of you....congrats on progresses you have made.
I have reduced carbs and gotten on an exercise program and have come down 21 pounds total since January. Guess I'm not in a big hurry :)

I have been reading some of the delicious recipes posted here, and I am just amazed at the variations. This is great. Your sausage and egg recipe sounds yummy...in parts of Europe I think they call it a "Scotch Egg"....I'm going to try it!

Shan

Carriet
Wed, Oct-11-06, 06:52
Hi :wave:
I am new to this whole website and have been checking out the recipes. This recipe is wot us Brits call scotch eggs.
Very yummy!! :yum:
CT

AndieLyn
Thu, Jul-24-08, 09:15
These Scotch eggs are amazing... I know that this is from 2003/04, but I just found it, and I tried them last night with Jimmy Dean sausage!! I LOVED them hot out of the oven, this morning I tried one cold, and it wasn't as good, but still a nice snack!

The next time I make them, I will do it when I am hungry so that I eat 2-3!!! VERY GOOD!!!

Hairballz
Sun, Aug-03-08, 08:03
I purposely picked up some sausage yesterday just to try this Scotch eggs recipe today. I'll let you know how it turns out, though I'm planning to modify it slightly - I'm going to take the boiled eggs and cut them in 1/2 before I wrap them in sausage to bake - I think it'll be a more manageable size for me, though I'm not sure what the effect on the egg will be, since the sausage presumably takes X amount of time to fully cook, and the amount of egg it encases will be smaller/less dense?

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hairballz
Mon, Aug-04-08, 06:09
Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.

YUM!!! I made these yesterday, no problem with slicing the hard boiled eggs in half and doing them that way. I've only tried them warm so far and they were YUMMY.

Only thing I thought of, as I was eating one, is wouldn't this be an EASIER dish to prepare if I just served sliced boiled eggs over a sausage patty? Much less labor intensive, same taste?

WIP
Sat, Jan-10-09, 23:30
I make a slightly different version. I hate solid egg white, so I make a modified egg salad using some cream cheese instead of mayo to make a more "solid" result. I then wrap the sausage around balls of the egg/cream cheese/seasonings mixture. It turns out pretty well.

Ive got a thing about the texture of cooked egg white, semi cooked egg white. If it isn't blended into the yolks, I can't stomach it (I know I'm wierd)

bestrange
Fri, Jul-24-09, 12:03
yum, I love scotch eggs! I am going to trymaking some encrusted with a little bit of groundalmonds -- will report back on how thatturns out :)

rightnow
Mon, Jul-27-09, 08:31
Ive got a thing about the texture of cooked egg white, semi cooked egg white. If it isn't blended into the yolks, I can't stomach it (I know I'm wierd)

My daughter is the same way. If I make scrambled eggs I have to add water or cream and blend super well so there is no separate white in there anywhere. The texture just grosses her out.

Sasha99
Wed, Jul-29-09, 19:07
Can y'all give me a ballpark idea of how long to bake the eggs with the sausage wrapped around 10 mins, 20, 20? I think I will cut the eggs in half lengthwise. Thanks! :)

bestrange
Thu, Jul-30-09, 04:58
hi i baked mine in a hot oven for about 20 minutes. are you going to cut the egg in half before wrapping sausage? that's not a bad idea. i wouldn't wrap it then cut it before baking though, the egg might go weird. oh, and remember to wrap the sausage larger than the egg, as it will shrink a bit when cooking. they also keep nicely in the fridge to be eaten cold. yum!

emereldas
Sat, Jan-02-10, 06:11
These are the best. I have made them many times and they just keep tasting better and better. Hubby will also eat them. Thanks for putting the recipe up for us.

Kurst
Sat, Mar-03-12, 08:48
Hi I make these often! I didn't know this recipe was here but I follow the same basic steps to make mine. Bake in a 325 oven for 30minutes. Then reheat them to eat. 5 minutes in the toaster oven at 300. I didn't like them cold and I didn't like the texture after microwaving. So toaster oven reheat works best, imo.

0Angel0
Sat, Mar-03-12, 14:42
I always thought you had to deep fry scotch eggs so I never tried them. I have a deep fryer but the counter space, cleaning and filtering the oil, makes it kind of a hassle to use. But baking sounds perfect! I'm going to try these soon.