PDA

View Full Version : Has Getting Older Affected Your Memory?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MizSteaks
Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:22
I find that names and numbers are harder to remember now than they were 10 or 20 years ago. :rolleyes: Anybody else have that problem?
If so...how do you handle it? I need suggestions!

Has anybody noticed an improvement in memory since low carbing? THAT'S what I really want to know!!

rustpot
Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:34
Now why did I come in here?

rustpot
Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:05
It used to be said that it was carbohydrate that helped memory but a recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that ALL TYPES of food energy, not just carbohydrates, appear to enhance memory performance in healthy older adults

The effects of carbohydrates on cognition have been well- established by researchers, but "this is the first study to show that pure dietary protein and fat also improve memory,''says the author Randall Kaplan.

He is with the University of Toronto's Department of Nutritional Sciences and a researcher at the Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care.

Until now, it was believed by scientists that increases in blood glucose levels explained the beneficial impact of carbohydrates on memory in elderly people.

In the present study, however, people performed better on memory tests after consuming carbohydrate, fat and protein drinks of equal calories compared to a placebo with no food energy, regardless of the drinks' effects on blood glucose levels.

The positive results occurred in verbal recall tests administered 15 minutes after the participants -- 11 males and 11 females, aged 61 to 79 -- consumed each type of drink.

'Other memory tests involving attention and non-verbal tasks showed variable effects, he says, suggesting that specific types of food energy enhance specific aspects of brain function.

According to the researchers, further research is necessary to unravel the unique connections between each nutrient and brain region involved in memory.

If you have had your fill of protein and fat, (reminds me I must get some gas forthe barby) there is always the supplement route.

I cannot vouch for any of these but merely report them:

Ginkgo Biloba:

A powerful antioxidant best known for its ability to enhance circulation throughout the body and brain. It has the capacity to squeeze through the narrowest of blood vessels to increase the supply of oxygen to the heart, brain, and other parts of the body.

Huperzine A:

A compound harvested from the club moss Huperzia serrata, and a popular brain supporting nutrient. Huperzine A helps maintain levels of acetylcholine, a brain nutrient that plays a major role in cognitive function.It is suiggested that by promoting healthy acetylcholine levels,memory health is maximized. In addition, huperzine A supports the nervous system's role in transmitting information from cell to cell.

DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid):

An Omega-3 fatty acid, DHA is a major building block of brain and retinal tissue that plays a role in blood clotting, blood vessel dilation, and the inflammation response.

Vinpocetine:

An extract of the Periwinkle plant, vinpocetine has demonstrated its ability to enhance blood circulation and oxygen utilization in the brain, and help reduce blood clotting. It is used as a cognitive supporter, and may also have antioxidant properties.

Has anyone seen my car keys? :confused:

RoseTattoo
Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:12
Miz, this is a matter near and dear to my heart, because every female relative of mine over the agoe of 70 has had Alzheimer's or vascular dementia--for at least THREE GENERATIONS!!! Needless to say, every time I forget a name or lose my keys, I go into a panic. :cry:

So in my personal quest to avoid this happening to me (I'm now 53), I've tried all sorts of informal "clinical trials" on myself. Gingko, ginseng, exercise, low fat eating, etc.

GUESS WHAT WORKS???? (sorry to shout, but this is exciting).

Answer: This very WOE. The difference has been remarkable, not just in my memory, but in my overall cognitive abilities.

I no longer feel as if my brain is slogging through pea soup.

Chris Rob
Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:29
Rosetattoo
have to agree with you, contrary to popular belief, this diet is doing quite a lot of reverseing of the aging symptoms. My daughter who is a genetic scientist sugested that the 'old brain' would get foggier with out the carbs...I may well prove her wrong!

MizSteaks
Thu, Jul-31-03, 20:14
Rusty,
That's some really interesting material you have in your post. Is this from a book, a website or what? I would love to follow up and read some more by this fellow.
BTW...I've missed you the past few days! :) You were doing a good job of excercising my two brain cells making me try to keep up with you! LOL! Please don't be a stranger!

RoseTattoo, I am so sorry your family seems to have to suffer more than most with such a horrid problem. I'm afraid I was merely interested in the everyday..'where's my keys'...'what's his name' type of memory problem. :( Sorry to say, I did not even think past that, and for that, I am so sorry.
Bottom line though is whether this WOE is going to have an impact on the brain in such a way that memory is improved, irrespective of the severity of memory loss. Let's hope that our gut instincts are right on! I seriously doubt that it will do any harm!

chrisee, I hope your daughter will take an interest in how this WOE impacts genetics! How exciting to have a scientist in the family observing the healthy benefits you're reaping! That should change her mind seeing the improvements in you if she happens to be one of those 'Atkins is going to kill you' type medical people.

Sweet dreams everybody!
Nance

rustpot
Fri, Aug-01-03, 03:31
Mizsteaks.
It is amazing what a search engine on the internet will throw up. I am a great fan of GOOGLE.

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 09:58
Rusty, I use Google all the time, but, for some reason do not trust the medical stuff I find on the Internet. Wonder why that is? Maybe it has to do with getting myself all worked up over a symptom I research and then discover that it was not the problem at all. :)
I read the first 5 pages of your journal last night and I was not at all surprised to find myself laughing out loud quite often. As I suspected, I should call myself 'Grasshopper' in your presence!

I was so hoping that somebody would have some suggestions for this memory thing besides the normal 'go through the alphabet adding the vowels to each letter'...in hopes something will 'click'. :(

Be healthy,
Nance

ALEKA
Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:43
Isn't there anyone over 60 on this thread??? Yep I have had plenty of memory problems--usually names but also I misplace things and swear we have a ghost in the house hiding things from me. HA!!!!! To be able to laugh at oneself sure helps keep you from getting real frustrated with yourself. Hope you all have a great weekend. Aleka

BKM
Fri, Aug-08-03, 11:56
I am a writer (technical) and I forget WORDS! My doctor told me that it wasn't a sign of Alzheimer's, that it's just brain-overload -- but I find this really frustrating! And it's getting worse....

I'll forget a very ordinary word (such as server) -- primarily when I'm discussing something with a developer -- the big, complicated terms seem to stay with me, it's just a blank when it comes to something simple! It sure makes me feel dumb.....

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:36
BKM---- :laugh: ---

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 12:41
BKM--Sorry about that--I'm not computer literate yet but keep hanging in there--I have to laugh at myself or else I get really frustrated too. The Doctor said the same to me and said try to ignore it because if you focus on it it just gets worse. Not sure if that is the truth--but sounds good. There is an herb or oriental med that people take that is supposed to help---ginko biloba--I think and they say it helps. You can get it from walmart--etc. non- prescription. May try it later, but right now could just about fill myself up on the pills I'm taking. Well anyway--have a good day!!! A LC one!!! Aleka

Chris Rob
Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:27
Who else runs through evey name in their family before reaching the right one, or worse yet runs through every name and still can't come up with eldest son's name! sad really!!!

BKM
Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:36
gee, I've done that since my early 30s ... have to run down the list of my kids until I hit the right one! Particularly when I was upset!

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:38
You're a riot BKM!!! You too Chris Rob!!! There are a lot of us out there with this problem!!! Aleka

rustpot
Sat, Aug-09-03, 05:05
What is embarrassing is that I call my son by my younger brothers name and my brother by my son's name. I am senior to both of them but not that senile surely?! :doah:

MizSteaks
Sat, Aug-09-03, 13:17
Rusty! Have we met before? :lol: :lol: :lol:

donna916ga
Fri, Aug-22-03, 18:31
miz steaks
I noticed about a year ago that my short term memory was really getting bad, so I started taking ginkgo biloba. I think it has really helped me.
I haven't had any bad lapes of memory at work lately. It was getting really hard to cover it up, and now I think my memory is almost back to normal.

ALEKA
Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:32
Hi Donna916ga--I'm not Mizsteaks- but I am impressed with what you had to say about the ginkgo biloba. What dosage are you taking? How long was it before you noticed an improvement? Thanks for the information. Alice

donna916ga
Sat, Aug-23-03, 00:49
Ginkgo Biloba improved my short term memory I think after taking it a few weeks, 1 60 mg tablet per day. Now for about a month I have been taking 2 tablets of 60 mg per day and I think it works good. I'm going to go back to 1 tablet because I don't know how much to take and don't want to overdo. If I notice any setback I'll go back to 2 tabs of 60 mg per day.

donna916ga
Sat, Aug-23-03, 00:52
I still can't remember names of movies or people even though I can see their faces and other details in memory. That doesn't affect my job so I don't really care I just stay away from those subjects.

VALEWIS
Sat, Aug-23-03, 03:50
Gingko has helped me too. Brain processing speed slows down with aging, so that memory retrieval is affected...ever notice how when you try to think of something and don't remember it straight away, it often comes after a few minutes? (Or in the middle of the night!)

Val

donna916ga
Mon, Aug-25-03, 09:29
Yes I do remember a lot of things later. My kids are probably getting use to my saying that I will let them know later about something. I wish I had started taking Ginkgo Biloba earlier and maybe I would not have lost so much memory. I also decided not to cut back on my 2, 60 mg a day. I can't take a chance on going backwards. I'm also don't think fast on my feet, so to speak. I always think of good answers later to questions. I don't know if I just process thoughs slower than others or I'm digging around in my memory for accepable answers. I also have become a horrible speller, it could be due spell check on computers.

These over 50 problems are almost overwhelming. I really did not expect all these medical problems to I was well over 70.

VALEWIS
Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:01
I am 63 and only started taking Gingko about 6 months ago but for different reasons....I suffered a massive deep vein thrombosis in my leg over a year ago..gingko help circulation and thins the blood a bit. I participate in an online discussion list that is pretty intellectual, and the list owner observed recently that my contributions had taken a step up...so clearly it has helped a bit. But I still have word retrieval delay problems and blank spaces that happen...I am not freaked because I knew this was coming..it is just plain annoying. But it contributed to my desire to retire a year ago... Donna, looks like you are doing well on Atkins in any case! It is very slow going for me, even though I remain in ketosis.

Val

BKM
Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:11
I find this interesting, must try this ginkgo b...

I tend to forget words -- plain old ordinary, every-day words -- and it does interfere with my job (I'm a tech writer) -- when I'm keying information in, the words flow; but when I'm talking I sometimes can't come up with a word. Never the new terms, or the huge strings, or the really-complicated ones -- but ones that I look like a fool for fishing for....

Several days ago, the word server got "lost" -- and in the computer world that's about as basic as you can get.

I mentioned it to my doctor, total non-worry on her part -- she said it's not Alzheimer's, just overload -- so does that mean senility is setting in (hey, I'm only 59, don't expect that until I'm in my 90s!).

BKM
Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:12
and I also can never get my kids' names right, have to work down the list -- but then, I well remember my parents doing this, must be somewhat normal! :roll:

VALEWIS
Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:46
As far as I understand it, it is normal. I too can forget everyday words. Here's what happens when you have Alzheimer's (fromhttp://www.aging-parents-and-elder-care.com/Pages/Age_Dementia_Symptoms.html):

Recent memory loss. Everyone forgets things for awhile, but remembers them later. Dementia patients often forget things, and never remember them. They might ask you the same question over and over, each time forgetting that you already answered it. They don't even remember they already asked the question.

Difficulty performing familiar tasks. Patients might cook a meal but forget to serve it. They might even forget they cooked it.

Problems with language. Dementia patients may forget simple words or use the wrong words. This makes it hard to understand what they want. That can cause an outburst of anger directed at the person they're talking to.

Time and place disorientation. Patients may get lost on their own street. They may forget how they got to a certain place and how to get back home.

Poor judgment. Anyone might get distracted and forget to watch a child closely for a short time. Dementia patients, however, might forget all about the child and just leave the house for the day.

Problems with abstract thinking. Anyone might have trouble balancing a checkbook from time to time, but dementia patients can forget what numbers are and how to use them.

Misplacing things. Patients may put things in the wrong places ... an iron in the freezer or a wristwatch in the sugar bowl. Then they can't find these things later.

Changes in mood. Everyone is moody occasionally, but patients may have fast mood swings, going from calm to tears to anger in a only few minutes.

Personality changes. Patients may have drastic changes in personality, often becoming irritable, suspicious or fearful.

Loss of initiative. Patients may become passive. They might not want to go places or see other people.

So relax.

Val

MizSteaks
Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:39
I can't begin to tell you how much better it makes me feel to know that others have the same darn problem with memory that I do! I had several surgeries four years ago that left some residual brain damage (and don't my kids love THAT idea! LOL!) Usually by-pass patients regain that short term memory, but I have not recovered it very well. I also ended up with what I call alphabet dyslexia. I will be typing, writing, reading a simple word and reverse at least one pair of letters in it. So frustrating!

Thanks for keeping me company guys! LOL!
Nance :wave:

VALEWIS
Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:02
Yes, many people who have had by-pass surgery complain of memory problems, and many don't get it back too well either...but at least you know its not a progressive dementia disease thing like Alzheimers. I get the letter scramble when I am typing more than I used to...really annoying.

Val

ALEKA
Mon, Aug-25-03, 21:05
I always scramble or leave out letters too so unless I am in a hurry--I re-read things and correct them..Is that you Steaks!!!! Ha Alice

Chris Rob
Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:03
My theory is that like ones metabolism, memory does the same mean sneaky thing. Sometime from the age of about 50 on, you go to bed one night with all faculties intact and wake up the next moring to find the two M's have crept away during the night. memory comes back in fits and starts, but I'm darned if I know where metobolism has gone to. Along with single socks, there must be a veritable "Bermuda Triangle' full of metabolisms somewhere

donna916ga
Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:42
yeh! I know it is just the age thing. The ginkgo has been my best help so far. Maybe the longer that I am Low carbing, my memory will get even better. I'm checking out the receipts so I won't get bored or over hungry and go back to my old eating habits.

BKM
Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:35
Well, I've been low-carbing since 1994, and it hasn't helped my memory (at least not that I can remember!).

jesdorka
Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:21
i am 64 and find myself now forgetting and misplacing things i never did before. sometimes i get concerned as my father had alzheimers and the last 10 yrs of his life was not fun to watch.
prior to going on vacation in july i thought i should put my jewellery away in a safe place. this past weekend i searched my house high and low, everywhere!- i couldn't remember where i stashed it :rolleyes: yesterday my daughter came over and i asked if i had told her where i put my jewellery. she gave me 'the look' and told me i had given it to her to put in her safety deposit box. we both got a good laugh over that one.
well i'm off to buy some ginko biloba :thup:

VALEWIS
Tue, Aug-26-03, 20:00
If you are afraid of Alzheimers, the gingko will help, and being on this diet has been shown to not correlate with getting it (i.e eating higher fats doesn't lead to it). They are begining to think that blocked arteries may contribute to getting it, so this diet would help with that, judging by recent research as well as taking Folic acid and Vit B6and 12 for keeping homocysteine down. Be sure to get rid of the free radicals that might also contribute, they think, so take lots of Omega 3's (flaxseed oil and fish oil...I take both) and Vit E. Keep your brain active e.g. doing crossword puzzles, that sort of thing. And exercise to oxygenate.

jesdorka
Tue, Aug-26-03, 20:58
thanks valewis, other than the ginko (which i started today) i have incorporated the items you mention into my daily routine but sometimes these little lapses make me wonder.

alaskaman
Thu, Sep-18-03, 01:36
So far, my make-a-living memory does fine, I still remember stuff from school 40 years ago, and I keep up on all the little updates at work, announcements that to make the red printer print you have to click on this box, drag this, etc. My co-workers in their 40's talk about senior moments, but so far I can keep up with them,frequently I'm the one who reminds them, 'no, that abstract has been replaced by, bla bla bla" BUT when I meet friends at the market or whatever, people I see every week and call by their names, sometimes the names will not come to me until hours later.You know that game, "memory?" where you turn over cards and then try to remember where the match was for the card you have? My dad was excellent at that until well into his late 70's - could keep right up with my kids. he's 84 now, will have to try it again - hes a retired experimental psychologist, I'm sure he will appreciate the searchfor information. Bill

donna916ga
Thu, Sep-18-03, 06:58
I think my memory problems are related to my high cholestral mostly and not age. Bad eating habits for 50 years has got to take its tole. After much thought and talking to others my age, just a bit of memory loss can be contributed to my age. Both my grandmothers lived to 95 and their memories were clear as a bell. I think would have lived longer if their children would not have insisted that they give up their work, gardening and hobbies. Of cource they did it for both grandmothers own good. I think keeping active and staying interested in life and others is the key.
Loosing weight is one of my goals at the moment. I'm sure overweight is bad for good health and activities. The ginkgo biloba 120mg has brought back my short term memory. I'll cut back on ginkgo when my weight is down to normal and cholestral is down. If never then I'll continue taking.
Even with my memory problem, I can think circles around the young people I work with.

reowdy
Fri, Sep-19-03, 22:04
I tuned in last night to the middle of a program about memory loss... details are a bit muddled cause I didn't see it all, but they were talking about raised homocysteine levels and taking folic acid.

The part that I saw included an interview with a woman who claimed that folic acid supplements had given her back her memory...

Now this isn't the first big claim I have heard for folic acid.... seems it plays a vital part in many functions in our bodies...

I for one am upping the folic acid

Bayrat
Wed, Oct-15-03, 17:06
I'm for the extra folic acid, I take 400 mg now but have heard double that amount is not too much. I'll wash some extra down with my Friday night suds, after a few I always feel smarter anyhow. Just kidding :lol: . Seriously though, since I have been on daily regimen of supplements I do feel much better. I have not met a doctor that will tell you to refrain from this stuff and who knows, it might work.

donna916ga
Wed, Oct-15-03, 19:37
I have never heard of folic acid helping with memory loss. It can't hurt and maybe help, I'll add it to my next vitamin order. I have short term memory loss not total loss.

Chris Rob
Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:09
Folic acid has long been prescribed to pregnant women in New Zealand as it is thought one of its effects is easier absorbtion of iron and oxygenation of the blood, which, if it helps memory loss, makes sense

donna916ga
Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:22
Folic Acid does make sense when I think about it. Memory loss is only because less blood and oxygen is getting to the brain because of veins hardening and cholestral clogging the pathways. If the brain doesn't get enough nutrients via the blood then we have problems.
Thanks for the help.
Donna

Bayrat
Thu, Oct-16-03, 18:13
Certainly makes sense as to why I am calmer, brighter and have a deeper thought process on the days I exercise as opposed to those I skip, not to mention the endorphin rush.

mem2
Fri, Oct-17-03, 18:27
My mom ran through all the names of us kids when I was little, but maybe because there were so many of us. I'm 1 of 8, no.7. I have more trouble remembering things since I'm older and I keep trying to learn stuff that is foreign to me. I guess I forget that I'm 63 and should relax a bit. I haven't noticed a lot of difference since being on Atkins, in the memory respect. I attribute a lot of it to stress and working at night and not getting enough sleep until I am off.

Bayrat
Fri, Oct-17-03, 20:17
Mary it is the names that I fall down on every time. I am so embarrassed, I call people by brother or sister sometimes thinking I may be wrong. It is due many times to stress. I am in the same boat as you, burned out all the time due to job requirements as well as self imposed standards in maintaining my property.

wwdimmitt
Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:41
I take a sub-lingual B-12 tab every day, in addition to a good daily multi which has B complex.

I think that it has helped memory a little, and it has certainly helped the nerves.

Best thing is less stress, and keeping active with reading and playing Trivial Pursuit, plus a couple of writing projects.

Use it or lose it.

sjkling
Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:49
i'm sorry.....what was the question again?

TarHeel
Thu, Jan-08-04, 20:11
I see this is a rather old thread, and have no idea if the originator is still around. But this is such a common paranoia these days, I thought I would comment. Forgetting names is an extremely common experience as one ages....and is not necessarily a symptom of Alzheimer's. Geographical disorientation is much more symptomatic. (so if you don't know where you are, especially if you live there, maybe you should worry. But if you forget the name of the street you're on, it's not a big deal).

My best friend here in town is close to 80. She is in a constant panic about not being able to remember names. The other thing she seems to forget is that she has been telling me this since we first met in 1977! And she is no worse now. Honest. She says her husband no longer can remember where he left his glasses or his keys. Well, he has NEVER been able to remember where he left his glasses and his keys.

My 90 year old father and 60 year old me sometimes have funny conversations these days, having to fill in each other's word memory lapses in sentences. But neither of us has a degenerative memory loss. I'm convinced the memory bank just gets full eventually. I know the name of every one of the almost 600 daylily varieties in my yard....so who cares if I sometimes forget what the name of that utensil you use to move a fried egg to your plate is? (spatula, for those who were panicking, there)

I often think there is just too much information about all our potential ills out there in the media today.....More than we need to know.

I do not at all mean to belittle anyone who is truly battling a real problem with memory loss. These are terrible diseases, especially when they strike someone at a relatively early age. But the majority of us who can't remember a coworker's husbands name or what the name of that yellow stuff we like on hot dogs is need not worry too much.

Kay

Brvida
Sat, Jan-17-04, 13:29
Encouraging words, Kay, thank you. I can remember my mother when she was in her early 80's. My sister, having heard the same story for the umpteenth time would say, mom, you've already told me that. My mom would humph and say it was pretty sad when someone had to mention that a story had been told more than once. After my mother passed away, my sister and I often chuckled over that. Now, when I'm telling something to my grown children, I often wonder if I've already told them the same story at another time. Names, I have a hard time with, try to repeat it when I'm first introduced, but still have a hard time. I think we should all wear name tags, or respond to any 'hey you' :-)

MizSteaks
Tue, Feb-03-04, 15:34
Well the originator of this thread is still around folks...just couldn't remember how to get back here! :lol: J/K

TarHeel, my purpose in starting this thread was two-fold. Number one, we were trying to expand this sub-forum and this is a topic of interest to many people 'our' age. At the time I posted it there were only 3 or 4 threads on here total.

The second, and most important, reason was because I was left with many holes in my memory banks from heart stoppage and the meds from surgery. With by-pass surgery being so prevalent these days I figured there were other people like myself who had legitimate concerns about those 'holes'. I was hoping that between all of us we could come up with a variety of coping mechanisms for when our memories let us down.

The devastating diseases like dementia and Alzheimers are in a totally different category to what I was referring to. I must have failed to make that clear. My apologies for that. :) I still hope that all of you will share little tricks on how you manage those times when our memory banks misfire.
Nance :wave:

Indigo_
Sun, Feb-08-04, 15:37
TarHeel~

...who can't remember...what the name of that yellow stuff we like on hot dogs is need not worry too much.

Whew! Thank you for that!! :lol:

bevbme
Mon, Mar-29-04, 12:12
I worry more about concentration power then work memory
I have a hard time staying on task.