PDA

View Full Version : im new here!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shortset
Mon, Jul-16-01, 00:24
hello everyone...im on the 7th day of the low carb diet..
i cant really tell if ive lost any weight? But my stomach does feel
tight..and ive been going to the restroom very often..
is this normaL for the first week? Ive also been craving. breads and pastas...! Im at a point where i want to just give up...

what can i eat ??

:o

Karen
Mon, Jul-16-01, 02:09
Welcome to the forum ss!

What plan are you following? Have you read any of the informative books on low carb living? Protein Power and Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution will cover all the basics and get you off on the right foot

There is plenty to eat on a low carb diet. Read the Tips, Karen and Recipe, at the top of the page in the red bar. When you are hungry, eat whatever you want within the low-carb guidelines. Read the Journals in the Bootcamp/Journal Forumfor ideas and to see what others experience initially with low carbing.

The initial weight loss is water weight, so urination will be frequent. It doesn't sound like you have been drinking a lot of water, which you should be doing.

The first two weeks are the hardest. Your body is adjusting to and going through physical carb withdrawal. It passes and then comes an amazing burst of energy.

Karen

wenderwomn
Mon, Jul-16-01, 05:58
Welcome Shortset! I'm new here too, and to lowcarbing, it's Day 8 for me. It's difficult in the beginning to get used to eating so differently, but Karen's right, check out the areas she suggested. You'll find some great meal ideas there.

I've been making lots of bathroom trips myself for the past week, but I'm also drinking tons of water, lol.

Best of luck to you!

Wendy

shortset
Mon, Jul-16-01, 11:04
i have been drinking alot of water..ive been following the atkins plan...eating lots of meat and veggies..and snackin on beef jerky...penuts ..baby carrots.. cheese...etc

but everyone is right . The first two weeks are hard!!! Today will be the start of my second week..And i think im over the hump of craving breads and what not.. last night was terrible. I almost gave in..and then thought ....hmmmmm after i eat that peice of bread im going to be really angry with myself. LOL...

babydoc
Mon, Jul-16-01, 11:12
Hey, it sounds like you are on the right track. I have found after only 5 days that the cravings are going away and that if I keep full on water, I don't really want carbs. Also, I found that Diamond walnuts have 4 g carbs and 4 g of fiber, so because I subtract fiber-they are practically free. They are very filling too which keeps me from eating a whole lot. Keep up the good work!!:D

doreen T
Mon, Jul-16-01, 11:32
hi babydoc,

You might want to plug the nutrient data into Wa'il's handy-dandy new Hidden Carb Calculator. I suspect that the Diamond company has already done the subtracting for you, so those walnuts are 4 gm carbs PLUS 4 gm fiber. Add up the calories ... if they're not composed of protein or fat, it's gotta be carbs, not thin air.

Here's the link .. http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/hidden_carbs.html

Sometimes labels are very misleading! That's why many consumer groups are demanding tougher new labelling laws. Until the laws get passed though, manufacturers will take advantage of every loophole to make their product appear attractive. Creative math with the nutrient data is rather popular these days ... since companies are very aware that consumers are reading the labels!

Doreen

Karen
Mon, Jul-16-01, 13:34
Hi ss,

What will help you with get over your cravings faster is avoiding high carb foods. Carrots and peanuts fall into the high carb category. It's better to spend your carb allowance on low carb alternatives.

One 5 1/2-inch carrot has 5.07 grams of carbs and 1.5 grams of fiber. 1 oz. of peanuts, which is approximately 28 peanuts, has 6.098 grams of carbs and 2.268 grams of fiber.

So, if you eat 1 oz. of peanuts and 1 small carrot, it doesn't leave a lot of carbs left for the rest of the day.

IMHO, nuts should be avoided on induction. When you've got carb counting and portioning down to an art, you can start to experiment with adding them into your WOE.

Karen

Bean
Mon, Jul-16-01, 14:45
This is all great advice. I remember when I first started, the only thing that worked for me was to completely eliminate carbs. I stayed on induction for a couple of months. It was safer for me to eat the same stuff over and over again that I new was zero carb or close to it. I did my research on almost every food out there before I put it in my mouth! My system is extremely sensitive and it doesn't take much for me to want to binge, so I am very careful about food. Each month I would add in something different. If I reacted in a negative way, that food was then eliminated. Over the years I have developed quite a variety to foods to eat and have learned to make the same ole same ole into something new and exciting!

It takes time to get in to the swing of things for most people. Don't give up on yourself and don't be too hard on yourself. This is a lifetime commitment to improve your health. Read everything you can get your hands on about this WOE and the transition will be that much more rewarding!

Stick around this site for all the support these wonderful people can offer. You can do it!

debbiedobson
Mon, Jul-16-01, 16:44
hi shortset, i just wanted to add my welcome! welcome!!!:D shortset, count your carbs!! i think you're probably above 20g which is recommended for induction! if you keep your carbs around 20g you really will lose your carb cravings. i was the biggest carb addict and it worked for me. i have no willpower at all. it's just the chemistry! it really works!

bean, i wouldn't recommend eating 0g carbs. that's not healthy. you need the fibre in veggies to keep you moving. plus the antioxidants present in lowcarb veggies are vital to good health!:D

Bean
Wed, Jul-18-01, 18:01
I'm sorry, I should have said that I do get fiber, just not in the form of food. Maybe that is wrong, but for someone who absolutely hates to eat vegetables, I have to rely on artificial fiber or I wouldn't be getting any!! I really try to force them down, I just don't like them!!

Does anyone have a way of making them taste better?? The only way I can do it is to smother them in cheese.

Thanks.