PDA

View Full Version : Avocado idea: I just ate the best thing.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bgmama
Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:55
I had a avacado and wasn't sure what to do with it, so it scooped all the good stuff out and threw the pit away and I mashed it all up and added chopped garlic, chopped onion, and seeded chopped tomato, garlic salt , and a tiny bit of tobasco and mixed it all up. I refrigerated this while I fixxed my chicken. I took a frozen chic. breast right out of the freezer and sprinkled seasoning salt on both sides and put it in my Tupperware steamer and cooked it for 6 min on one side and then flipped it and did 6 min. on the other side. Made a nice plate with the chic. and cut it into bite size pieces and put the guac. in the middle and ate it together. It tasted like fajitas without the tortilla. I know I"m rambling but it just tasted so good, I had to share it.

265.5 lbs :yay:

jaybee007
Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:16
Sounds interesting, i`ll have to try it...

hippygal
Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:33
Mmmmmmm...... Sounds really good

lené
Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:39
Hey, sounds good to me! I have been experimenting with guac, trying to find lots of new ways to enjoy it. So far my two favorites are to smear it on scrambled eggs, and on grilled burgers. MMM...<G> I am thinking of making chicken salad with it, using shredded herbed chicken and replacing the mayo with guacamole. And there has to be a way for me to use it as a salad dressing on my spinach salad, right?

Bet it'd be good on steamed cauliflower, too. <g>

Ok, I guess I know what I'll be having for supper tonight!

Lene'

jaybee007
Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:42
Now I have to go out and buy a few...lol

harleydee
Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:18
Sounds yummy - thanks for sharing!!

jers52
Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:19
avacados are also great with tuna salad.

Stardust
Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:39
You guys are making me hungry. Try stuffing an avacado with homemade chicken salad and top it with shredded cheese. Yummy!

lené
Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:52
mmm, avocado... (homer voice<g>)

Love the ideas, keep 'em coming!

Lene'

LadyBelle
Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:26
I like taking 1/2 an avacado and mashing it up with 1 tbsp cream cheese. It's also good in omlettes, on burgers, and quite a few other places. :)

lené
Mon, Jul-28-03, 17:39
Oooh, cream cheese and avocado. Sounds good! I have some mascarpone cheese on hand, may try mixing avocado into it, with some garlic and salsa, cumin, etc...

Lene'

texascarl
Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:22
Split & peel an avocado. Put each half on a plate, fill cavity w/crumbled blue cheese & chopped sweet onion. Top with vinaigrette.

bgmama
Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:58
Well, I'm going tommorow to buy another one. I love them.

Norma June
Thu, Aug-28-03, 16:14
I heard avocados were good for LC so I went out and bought some. They're kinda mushy, does that mean they're too ripe?

I just mashed them up with Helman's mayo, salt & pepper and used it as a dip with pork rinds.

Today I sliced some up, put salt & pepper on them and just nibbled on them.

We need mor ideas on how to use avocados.

Can you add seasoning to them such as taco spice or curry powder?

Kristine
Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:13
I've recently discovered the avocado, too. :thup: My diet (like most peoples') tends to be lacking in the good veggie fats, so I'd like to start making these a staple. I just need some ideas. Honestly, I've never had guacamole! I don't know what good guac should taste like. :confused:

Anyway... there's a whole heap of recipes at the California Avocado Commission (http://www.avocado.org/recipes/index.phtml). Some of them are actually low carb, such as the Avocado Pate (http://www.avocado.org/recipes/view.php?recipe_id=63&sd=recipes) and the Avo-damia Nests (http://www.avocado.org/recipes/view.php?recipe_id=76&sd=recipes) (avocados with a macadamia nut crust). :cool:

mom2cuties
Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:30
Try this: Cut an avocado in half and then slice each half into 4 slices. Peel the slices and salt them. Cut 4 bacon slices in half and fry until cooked, but not crispy. Immediately wrap the bacon slices around each avocado slice and secure with a toothpick. Bacon and avocado are a great combination.

Ghost
Fri, Nov-07-03, 18:17
I love avacodo too. I just cut them in 1/2, sprinkle with a touch of salt & enjoy.

LisaS
Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:28
just cut them up and add to your mixed greens salad.

mollymom
Thu, Jan-22-04, 21:55
1/2 avocado, 1c. salad shrimp, mixed with mayo, fresh dill, spritz of lemon...my favourite lunch.

wils
Sun, Mar-21-04, 14:50
Mollymom that's my favourite as well, but I use mayo with a dash of hot chinese chili sauce and regular sized shrimp. THe ones from the shrimp rings.

peapod
Mon, Mar-22-04, 22:23
i love them too.. although i never tried them before this WOE.. to be honest i dont think many people have! i always have people asking me what they taste like.. I always eat the Cali ones (black skin)

i like mine mixed with mayo, tuna and a tiny bit of cherry tomato..

i also love putting half of one with pepperjack cheese, hotsauce and sour cream for an omelet filler (i got that idea from this forum.. somewhere there is a post with omelet ideas!) This is AWESOME.

I used to eat them ALOT and found I need to be more cautious.. for induction i believe you can only have 1/2 of one (i may be wrong).. fitday says the carb count is about 13 with 9 of that being fiber. the Florida ones (green skin) have 22 carbs with 15 of them being fiber.

thanks everyone for the ideas.. and thanks Kristine for the link

Tracey71
Wed, May-26-04, 11:50
Can you eat half and leave the other half for the next day? I don't want to eat it all at once, and someone told me it will rot quickly.

peapod
Wed, May-26-04, 14:48
i left 1/2 overnight and it turned slightly brown.. if you do make sure you wrap it up tight.. yes they do go quickly once they are opened..

I just posted a thread in general low carb about the benefits of avocado and the effect it has on metabolism..

Tracey71
Thu, May-27-04, 07:54
Thanks peapod.

rloveman
Sun, Jun-13-04, 22:26
easiest guacamole in the world: mash up an avocado with a few spoons of salsa, and eat.

smfdoc
Wed, Jan-05-05, 23:18
Use the simple guacamole recipe and use it as a topping for fish. I tried it on salmon several nights ago and was absolutely knocked over by how delicious it was. I usually limit my salmon as it always has a bit of a dry taste and the guac really made it great.

IvannaBFit
Thu, Jan-06-05, 00:11
yeah it won't turn too brown overnight

if you buy organic of course it will not last as long, but we always buy organic produce and my avo lasted a couple days!

mmmmmmmm I LOVE AVOCADO!!

smfdoc
Thu, Jan-06-05, 10:08
Guacamole will keep for several days if you take the following steps. First, give it a shot a lemon juice when you make it. The Vit. C is an antioxidant and will stop the color change some. Second, if you have extra guac to store, place it in a bowl, smooth down the top, then place a piece of Saran Wrap over the guac, not the bowl. The wrap needs to touch the top of the guac so that no air bubbles exist between the guacamole and the Saran Wrap. Without the air the guacamole will stay nice and green for days.

havetodoit
Sun, Jan-16-05, 14:44
I made some cheddar cheese chips and topped them with avacado and salt. very tasty.

NZKiwiana
Sun, Feb-06-05, 14:07
I love to cut a avacardo in half, take the pip out pour a little vinegar into the hole for taste with some salt and eat it with a spoon.

Gailew
Sun, Feb-06-05, 16:29
ABC omelette: avacado, bacon and crab. Need I say more?

mike_d
Sat, Jul-08-06, 21:57
I made my usual spinach salad and left out the avocado and egg! So I just found a way to use them:

1/2 Avocado pit removed

1 Hard boiled egg

1 tsp mayo

1/4 - 1/2 tsp of wasabi

Remove yolk and blend in mayo and wasabi-- stuff the avocado and njoy.

I tried paprika on top, not sure if it helped but looks better :agree:

Tube Wasabi is real and grated on a sharkskin, not the fake horseradish stuff.
You can see and ask to show a sharkskin grater used wherever at a good sushi restaurants, and they are using this kind of grater undoubtedly, not metal or ceramic one for this purpose.
http://homepage3.nifty.com/maryy/eng/wasabi.htm

missymagoo
Wed, Dec-27-06, 11:00
sounds good. sue

Sandy3
Thu, Apr-05-07, 12:56
Taco Salad idea:
Used finely browned hamburger w/taco spices (cooled) shredded lettuce, chopped onions, diced tomatoes, diced avacado, salsa, sour cream, pork rinds, sprinkle with shredded cheese. Mix together in bowl. Pork rinds taste like taco chips and avocado like refried beans.
One of my favorite standbys. Don't know the counts.

doobie
Wed, May-02-07, 10:00
Lemon or lime juice will keep an avacado from turning brown, as well as storing it in an airtight container. Avacado tastes great with lemon or lime juice anyway!