PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Sauce

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cmfrtmavn
Sun, Jul-27-03, 20:38
Have any of you found a barbeque sauce that would work for CM? I'd like to put some meat in a crockpot with some bbq sauce and have it available for any meal.

kokle
Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:15
Suzanne Somers makes a BBQ sauce sweetened with SomerSweet. She also has a recipe for it in her "Fast and Easy" book (the newest one) on page 277, You make it with the sweetener of your own choice.

I (marie172) use this for my BBQ sauce. It is easier to make than some other recipes I've found, but you can try it for yourself. I use it on hamburgers, chicken, faux fries, etc. I don't even use the plain ketchup anymore! Here it is in two ways: complete, and if you want to use your own SF ketchup for the recipe. Enjoy!

Arby’s Sauce and Ketchup combined:

½ c white vinegar
¾ tsp whole cloves
¾” cinnamon stick broken into pieces
½ tsp whole celery seed
1-½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp pepper
2-½ tsp salt
1 tsp Tabasco
1-6 oz. can tomato paste
1c+4 tsp water
1/3c sugar equivalent (1T SS)

Combine vinegar through salt in covered pan and bring to boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 20 minutes or longer. Mix Tabasco, tomato paste and water in saucepan. Strain vinegar and discard spices. Add spiced vinegar and salt to tomato sauce in pan. Stirring often simmer over low heat until desired consistency is achieved. Add sweetener and stir. Refrigerate until used.
or
1c. SF legal ketchup
4 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to boil, 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove the sauce from the heat. Add sweetener and stir. Cover and allow to cool. Pour into a covered container for storage in your refrigerator. Keeps for a month or two.
Makes 1 cup.

kokle
Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:17
This the from the www.suzannesomers.com website posted by a member in the forum:

Here is Starlite's recipe, posted in this forum:

This recipe can be cooked in the oven or on the grill with meat or you can make the bbq sauce up ahead of time and use as needed.

3-4 lbs of chicken, pork, or beef
1 large onion thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbl worchestershire sauce
2 tbl vinegar
1 tbl liquid smoke (I like hickory the best)
3/4 C ketchup
3/4 C water

Place meat in oven proof container. I use a covered roasting pan lined with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Spray foil with oil for easy meat removal. Combine other ingredients and pour over meat. Cover meat and bake at 325F for at least 1 1/2 hrs. Remove the tender meat to a platter and drain pan drippings into sauce pan. Return meat to roaster and continue cooking at 325F for 1/2 hr to brown the meat. Meanwhile boil the sauce until rich and thick on top of the stove. Stir frequently. Put the "falling off the bone" tender meat to your serving platter and pour the thick rich and spicy red bbq sauce liberally over the top. Ketchup may be a sugar free store brand, Suzanne's (which is avaiable on this web site), or make your own from the ketchup recipe I have also posted on another thread

kokle
Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:18
Here is another one from the SS.com

This is a great rub on any meat that you want to have a barbecue flavor:
Barbecue Rub:
1 cup chili powder
3 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
2 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place all ingredients in a large bowl, whisk to combine. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Makes 2 cups.

Edited by - Mary Lou T. on 6/2/2003 5:57:21 AM

kokle
Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:26
You can find even more recipes. They are mostly found in www.suzannesomers.com/community/.

Also a member has all kinds of recipes on her webstie at http://slgkali.homestead.com/StarlitesRecipes.html

I hope this helps.