PDA

View Full Version : Do You Subtract Sugar Alcohols?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

joycelyn
Sun, Jul-27-03, 14:27
Sugar alcohols are showing up in everything nowadays from low carb candies to bars to icecream.

I was wondering how you all subtract your sugar alcohols?

Atkins tells you to subtract ALL of it from the carbs on the label, yet when I did research on sugar alcohols, I found most authorities and definitely Diabetes authorities tell you to only subtract 1/2 the grams of sugar alcohols on the label from the total carb count, so that's what I'm doing. (A great website for this information is www.isomaltusa.com).

For example if a cookie has 15 grams carbs and 10 grams sugar alcohols, I subtract 5 grams sugar alcohols from 15 grams total carb and arrive at 10 grams carbs to count.

What are you guys doing?

Also, I've been hearing of a new sugar alcohol called erithoytl (not sure of the spelling), that everyone is raving about since it doesn't cause stomach upset and doesn't get metabolized at all, so it's basically a freebie. Anyone use this? Thx.

etoiles
Wed, Jul-30-03, 09:42
I didnt' use to count any sugar alcohols, but as I have lost more weight they seem to stall me so now I will not use them until later. Just whatever works with your body I guess!

have not heard about that erithotyl, but I think the candy meanufacturers would definitely have some benefit using that instead of the nasty malitol and its friends! :devil: