PDA

View Full Version : Should We Remodel 'OUR' Lounge?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MizSteaks
Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:57
Hi all you Over Fifty and Fabulous People!

I was excited when I first joined this impressive site to find a place just for people in my age group. I want to thank the founders for providing it :D However...I must say I think 'we' are totally under utilizing it and its potential. Since Feb, with the first entry, we have had the following list of people check in here;

Lorilynne
Chloë Mae
chiqui
fishie48
madcreek
Chantel30
moussie48
Fat
pattie
MizSteaks
musicmama
RCFletcher
Lesle
Bevb
csj
lhill
Atrsy
LOL Mom
musicmama
kmwebb1967 (only 35 but parents are in 60's)
Dripping
KoKo
SueJ
tbagram
febe
RBalhan
LindaC6724
Traveller
HerbNurse
Auntie J
Kayceecan
Scorpiovs
Bevb
MrsCee
SDgrandma
edie
dreamdance
Maryocon
Azraelle
trixiesmom
summer*rai
SANDYININD
tofi
jers52
rustpot
purnois
Rosebud (39 and practising!)
lucyr
Auntie J
janetkind
pbaxle1
Magicslr
GrammaDeni
ewinpa
Isa
pegm
Magicslr
Teuthis
jackrabbit
jeanyyy
haleyju
RoseTattoo
jude
di52
Fat
Arie

WHEW! That's over 60 folks that were interested enough to come introduce themselves. Sadly, the majority of those folks posted once and left and in the past couple weeks there have only been posts by a very small handfull of those people.

One of my questions is this. Is anybody.......besides myself....interested in remodeling this 'lounge' into a real gathering spot for our generation with topics of interest in keeping with that?

If so...what would you like this forum to have in it?

Would you like to see the NAME of the forum changed? (YES, oh YES, PLEASE??? :D) I suspect the Founders would agree to that if we all asked nicely.

If anybody else is in favor of improving things here, could you add your post and list the changes you'd like to see made. If you are in contact with anybody on the above list, could you invite them back here for their opinion on this idea?

Can I suggest some alternate names for this Forum to be called? Can you add to this list?
1) Fifty Plus and Fabulous
2) The Mighty Maturity Masters
3) Over The Hill Gang NOT!
4) Oldies But Goldies
5)
6)

Would you like for me to sit down and shut up? :lol: (Better find the hobbles and the duct tape or that won't happen!!)

Thanks for hearing me out on this. We now return to your regularly scheduled lives.

Nance

mean rn
Fri, Jul-25-03, 14:26
Hello i have been to this board in the past, but could never find a place i felt i fit in. I would like to have a place to come to and talk with people my own age. Paul :)

tamarian
Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:17
I like this one:

2) The Mighty Maturity Masters :)

Wa'il

MizSteaks
Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:30
I do too Boss Man! By the way Wa'il, what do you think of my idea here?

tamarian
Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:47
I do too Boss Man! By the way Wa'il, what do you think of my idea here?

Well, we can change it, but it has to be a unanimous agreement on the substitute name :)

There's been many names suggested, and many objections to almost all the suggested names.

Wa'il

geo53562
Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:02
Well, as a 56 y.o. who never bothered to post here before, I can tell you that I'm not too tempted to hang out in an area catering to "Elders"! Check back with me in another 30-40 years....

MizSteaks
Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:05
Oh! I didn't necessarily mean the name....I meant my ideas on invigorating this forum? The name issue is because so many people who originally posted commented on how we didn't feel the term 'elder' actually fit us! Can you say denial?! LOL! I speak only for MYSELF, of course!!! :D

MizSteaks
Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:09
geo53562 you have impeccable timing! LOL!

Thank you for your comment. How about sharing what you WOULD like to see here? Or will you make me wait another 30 or 40 years for that too? Grin!

Nance

rustpot
Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:14
I like the idea of the over 50's forum. I am am also far too young, suave, debonair, and frisky to be an "elder" just yet. So why not The Over Fifties Forum.. We are the "TOFFS". I'm Buttoning up my white shirt, Straigtening my tie, in my top hat and tails. In Short a TOFF!

tamarian
Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:16
Oh! I didn't necessarily mean the name....I meant my ideas on invigorating this forum? The name issue is because so many people who originally posted commented on how we didn't feel the term 'elder' actually fit us! Can you say denial?! LOL! I speak only for MYSELF, of course!!! :D

Oh, the idea is wonderful, it's a new sub-forum, and needs some cultivation :thup:

As for the name, we knew beforehand some will object to the name, there's no way around it. Some wanted 50+, some said well how about 40+, 60+.. Some said "old" is offensive, some said "50 years young" is offensive, etc.

So we chose the least objected to name. So, if anyone still objects to this name, we'd love if they'd help us, and come with another name that no one objects to :)

BTW, how about Baby Boomers+ (not my creation, it was from a PM)

Wa'il

tamarian
Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:20
I like the idea of the over 50's forum. I am am also far too young, suave, debonair, and frisky to be an "elder" just yet. So why not The Over Fifties Forum.. We are the "TOFFS". I'm Buttoning up my white shirt, Straigtening my tie, in my top hat and tails. In Short a TOFF!

I like TOFF too :)

Wa'il

MizSteaks
Fri, Jul-25-03, 16:30
Me THREE! And what a way to attract people because they are curious about what the devil TOFF stands for. Rusty you rock!

Even if we can't change the name, I still like the idea of 'developing' this forum a little more. Is that a better way of stating it Wa'il?

Carry on guys. I have GOT to get off here and figure out what is for our low carb din din tonight or hubby will take my toy away from me!

First I've got to go find the road map to my bedroom...I am THAT far out of my comfort zone here!! LOL!! This is what my hubby would call "Letting my alligator mouth overload my hummingbird butt'!

Nance....Moooooooooving on out for a while! (Groan)

geo53562
Fri, Jul-25-03, 20:55
MS Encarta Dictionary suggests this is a snazzy (if somewhat archaic) term...altogether not inappropriate for many of your regulars, I would think.

toff [ tof (http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/Pronounce.aspx) ] (plural toffs)
nounhttp://encarta.msn.com/xImages/trans.gifU.K. upper-class person: somebody who is rich or upper-class, especially somebody who is also smartly dressed ( informal )

[Mid-19th century. Origin uncertain: probably a variant of tuft , a golden plume worn by titled students at Oxford and Cambridge.]

(BTW, it would be far from my nature to keep my mouth shut for more than a day...let alone 30-40 years) ;-)

Fat
Fri, Jul-25-03, 21:32
TOFF Is Cool.........For Me........I love it..........

jesdorka
Fri, Jul-25-03, 23:18
hi everyone, i will be 64 in just over a week and i really like the idea of this new sub forum.any name that indicates the sub forum is for and about those over 50 (or wannabees) is fine by me.
i have been a member for awhile now and although i do not post alot i do read for awhile almost every day.a forum like this would probably be wide and varied dealing with all the subjects in the other forums but from the perspective of our age group as well as those subjects younger people don't have to deal with yet in regards to health,exercise,living alone, retirement etc. i would probably be a more active poster in a forum like this

pattie
Sat, Jul-26-03, 04:32
HI TESTING AGIN

My posts seem to be going to computer heaven...

jude
Sat, Jul-26-03, 06:37
Ok, I'm game. TOFF sounds good to me, although I can't say I fit the description personally--I'm a jeans person, can't remember the last time I wore a dress.

So, what else is on the agenda? Except for the number, how are we really different from the 20, 30 or 40 somethings? I know one advantage we have. We've been where they are. We know that "age is just a number".

Then there's another big benefit--I don't grow hair under my arms any more--ok, so it's moved to my face a little (only my hairdresser knows for sure!).

judy

TarHeel
Sat, Jul-26-03, 07:07
Hi: I never realized there was an Elders Lounge until I noticed Rustpot had posted here recently. Not having seen this one, I started a thread in the turtles club (I think) entitled "Anyone over 50 here?" which several folks post to sporadically....I'd be happy to have it moved into this subforum where it might be more appropriately lodged.

I like the name "TOFF" too, but doubt that any navigationally challenged person like myself would be able to find it (obviously, if I didn't find "Elders", TOFF would not be the next thing I searched for....) Maybe something a bit more obvious, yet still intriguing? Perhaps "Baby Boomers/TOFFS"?

Kay

MizSteaks
Sat, Jul-26-03, 10:49
Good low carbing morning Everybody!

It's wonderful to see more people posting here.

On one of my first posts on here, I used the letters in ELDER to make a phrase. Don't have time to find it right now, but, it was something like 'Enlightened Ladies and Dudes _____ ______ ______". (Lame, I know! LOL!) BUT....If we could come up with an acceptable phrase like that, then all wa'il would have to do would be to change the title to...E.L.D.E.R.S. Lounge. What do you think? Dumb idea or a challenge to the witty ones amongst us?!! :)

Now, if I could get wa'il to correct the mis-spelled work REMODEL in the thread title, I would feel ever so much better! I edited the post and it all corrected but that!

tamarian
Sat, Jul-26-03, 10:54
'Enlightened Ladies and Dudes _____ ______ ______".

Enlightened Ladies and Dudes Eating Lowcarb Society :)

If members keep adding suggested names, I will compile them in a poll, and we can vote on them :thup:

Wa'il

MizSteaks
Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:41
LOL Wa'il! Are we on the same wave length or what? That's so perfect! I love the idea of a poll when we have compiled a few more suggestions. Thanks for that idea.

Could I ask HUGE favor? Could you correct the spelling of 'remodel' in the thread title for me? Pleeeease? Makes us Elders look dumb and the rest of the gang shouldn't have to look bad because I can't spell!!

Thanks!
Nance

Rosebud
Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:27
Hi everyone,

Just want to lend my tuppence worth to the idea of a name change.

TOFF sounds great. :thup:

I also love Mighty Maturity Masters - although it would have to be Masters and Mistresses. :p I've always wanted to be a mistress... :D

Hmm, Enlightened Ladies and Dudes Eating Right Society??

Whatever. :) I don't really object to Elders lounge, but those other suggestions are certainly better.

Cheers.

Roz

PS Nance, I "remodelled" the title for you. ;)

penelope
Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:36
Plain 'Baby Boomers ' is easy to find for newcomers.

MizSteaks
Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:50
Rosebud, Thank you more than I can say for 'remodeling' the word 'remodel'. LOL!! That was embarrassing me to no end!

This 'name' business is more complicated than a person would think, isn't it? :) I see Wa'il's point now about how the original name came up. I can't make up my mind. I swing from the TOFF to the Mighty Maturity ____...and then along comes Rosebud and gives me the idea of " Mature Masters and Mistresses'...and I love Baby Boomers. ARGHHH! Let's just keep throwing names out and then have a voting poll, Okay?

Since the name suggestions could get 'lost' in this thread, should I start another thread JUST for that? And then how about a thread devoted just to topic ideas that we would like 'OUR LOUNGE' to have on it for our interest and entertainment?

And Please...step forward and take the reins at any time....PLEASE! This is not MY
lounge...it is OUR lounge. I just was the one who opened my big mouth first. LOL!

Rosebud
Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:22
Hi Nance, I don't think there's any need for a new thread, since this one is all about our redecorating. :p We can easily keep track here.

Okay, here are the suggestions so far:

The Elders Lounge (Enlightened ladies and Dudes Eating Right Society?)
Fifty Plus and Fabulous
The Mighty Maturity Masters (and Mistresses)
Over The Hill Gang NOT!
Oldies But Goldies
TOFFs (The Over Fifties Forum)
Baby Boomers
Over 50's Club
Over 40's Club
JOY (Just Older Youth)
Certain Age Club
Council or Counsel of Elders
Older and Better
Galloping Grandparents
Fit and Fifty
Active Senior Low Carbers
50 plus low carbers
The Vintage Vault
The Majors'
The Masters'

Any more suggestions welcome and wanted! :)

Roz

MizSteaks
Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:05
Roz, you angel! Are you going to keep track of all that for us? That would be too cool.

I am so new at this bulletin board stuff. Only been doing it for about 3 weeks now! I was beginning to think I had bit off more than I could chew here so the help is most welcome!

You, fair Lady, my Mistress of Moderation, have my eternal gratitude! LOL!
Nance

SDgrandma
Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:08
Hi, Everyone!

Was gone for the weekend and am now trying to catch up on the board. I was one of those who objected to the term 'Elder.' If understood as the American Indian use the term it means mature, experienced and respected. But most people think of some decrepit person ready for a nursing home!!

I really like the name FIFTY PLUS AND FABULOUS! It lets people know that this is for those over 50. Fifty is a good cutoff age I think because most are grandparrents or soon will be. Some are headed for retirement and some are retired, like me. THE OVER FIFTY FORUM would work, too. But I don't like the TOFFS acrynym(sp?). It took me a while to figure out what it meant! :doah:

Baby Boomers won't work, IMHO. I'm not a Baby Boomer! A lot of Boomers aren't 50 yet and anyone born before 1945 is too old to be a Boomer.

RE: Thread ideas. There are several general threads in this forum for those over 50. When we start a thread it should be about a certain subject. For instance, a thread on the challenges of retirement. Or a thread on the challenges of losing weight at this age, or one on menopause, etc. There are a lot of issues we face that the younger crowd doesn't. I may start a thread where we can share about our grandchildren and our experiences with them.

This thread was a great idea, Nance!

Rosebud
Mon, Jul-28-03, 08:05
For instance, a thread on the challenges of retirement.
<Snip>
I may start a thread where we can share about our grandchildren and our experiences with them.
Hi SDgrandma, I'd like to just point out that this forum is for low carb topics, and how they impact us older folk. It's still part of the main LC forum. ;)

We do have off topic areas if you wish to start a thread about other issues. :)

Cheers.

Roz

MizSteaks
Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:08
Roz,
I am so glad you're keeping us on track with the guidelines to the site! I'm so new at this that I need guidance!

Would a thread about how we feel about the diets our grandchildren are eating be proper for here? In fact, could you give us a list of topics that YOU would encourage us to explore here? That would be a nice start for us I think. :) I feel that once we get going with some initial threads the momentum will build and we can have an active sub-forum like so many of the others on this wonderful site.

Again I bow to the wisdom of our Mistress of Moderation! (You said you wanted to be called 'Mistress'...I mean no offense so, if it does offend, tell me and I will immediately cease).

Nance

Chris Rob
Mon, Jul-28-03, 15:06
Greetings all you young-ish people

I have only just found this sub-forum, and not by chance. had to have the forum pointed out to me on another thread, anyway, glad to be here, and am enjoying spending a liitle time browsing the threads. think the name 'elders lounge' a little stuffy,though, surely, one of us must be able to think of a name that could be the envy of all the under fifties.'galloping grandparents' perhaps?

MizSteaks
Mon, Jul-28-03, 22:17
Chrisee, welcome to the group! Don't be bashful about jumping in...the more the merrier! :)

Happy low carbing!
Nance

TexLady
Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:05
I'd like to join in this thread. I'm 54. How 'bout "Fit and Fifty"

MizSteaks
Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:59
Hi TexLady! Welcome to the gang and, of course you can join in! We need to make sure your forum name suggestion gets added to our ever growing long list of suggestions! LOL!

I like seeing that you are setting mini-mini goals! That's such a good idea!

Have a glorious evening!
Nance

Rosebud
Tue, Jul-29-03, 20:19
We need to make sure your forum name suggestion gets added to our ever growing long list of suggestions! LOL!
I can take a hint, Nance! :lol:

Welcome, TexLady! I added "Fit and Fifty," but I must point out that some of us are actually over fifty so that may not be the best choice.

Hi Chris, welcome to you, too! :) I also added "Galloping Grandparents," but again, I must make mention of the fact that we are not all grandparents. In fact, some of use aren't even parents.

Cheers.

Roz

jesdorka
Tue, Jul-29-03, 21:02
my submission for a name is ---
Active Senior Low Carbers

jesdorka
Tue, Jul-29-03, 23:42
just thought of another one--
50 plus low carbers or 50+LCers

joizienew
Wed, Jul-30-03, 06:33
Hey everyone, I really like the 'over fifties' thing and especially TOFF. Or as in my case the 'TWOFF' the well over fiftes forum. I really feel like I'm getting in on the ground floor here, usualy I am a late comer, late blomer, last to know, or an 'Oh we all did that ten years ago', kinda person. I'm excited!!!

MizSteaks
Wed, Jul-30-03, 13:46
Hi guys!
I'm going to see if I can get another quick post in here before I crash again. Getting all my exercise today just re-booting this computer!

Oops! Roz I am embarrassed that my remark came out sounding like a 'reminder' to you!!! :blush: Sometimes my enthusiasm :cheer: overloads my common sense and I unintentionally PPO (piss people off! :D) I'll wait for you out at the woodshed and you can apply some 'manual reminders' to my posterior!!! :bash: LOL! Just make sure you aim for the right 'cheek'...since the left one has the boil!! I would apologize for my wacko sense of humor, but, alas, tis part of who I am. I seriously mean no harm or foul to anybody. :rheart:

Have a healthy day everybody!!
Nance

SDgrandma
Thu, Jul-31-03, 06:08
Rosebud, thanks for reminding me of the limits of the forum.

Just a thought about the 'Fit and Fifty' idea. I wouldn't fit in there (pun intended) because I certainly am not 'fit.' If I was fit I wouldn't have another 50 lbs. to lose. JMHO

MizSteaks
Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:11
LOL Barb! That point applies to more than just you!! Glad to see you and Sam back! You should come over and join us on Chloesue's thread and excercise with us every day. We'll 'fit in' faster if we mooove!!! LOL!!

Nance

TexLady
Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:52
Rosebud, thanks for reminding me of the limits of the forum.

Just a thought about the 'Fit and Fifty' idea. I wouldn't fit in there (pun intended) because I certainly am not 'fit.' If I was fit I wouldn't have another 50 lbs. to lose. JMHO

Being fit is our goal. Seriously, I don't care what our name is just as long as it doesn't contain the word "senior"

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:31
Just got some more name suggestions from jennyxcali...hope I have her name right!

The Vintage Vault
The Majors'
The Masters'

Isn't it nice that even some of the younger people on this forum want a re-named, comfy place for us more 'experienced' folks that doesn't sound like a rest home? :D Thanks jenny!

Rosebud
Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:06
Hi folks,

How about we give it just a few more days, say until 6/8 before posting the poll for everyone to vote on our new forum name? Then we'll leave the poll up for, how long, 2 weeks sound okay?

Roz

MizSteaks
Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:45
Roz, that sounds fine by me. Thanks for all your help with this!

Blessings!
Nance

ALEKA
Sat, Aug-02-03, 09:47
Hi --I am new to this forum--didn't know it existed. I like the title--( Over the Hill--NOT!!!!!) Am enjoying reading here. I am over sixty but still alert and kicking. Ha!!! Aleka

TexLady
Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:21
Roz, I'm fine with that.

Chris Rob
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:01
2 weeks sounds fine

mizholly
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:21
Greetings All,

Howz bout:

Been there done that ...

[certainly can't offend anyone ..]

Stay well,

Holly

4mrslucky
Fri, Aug-08-03, 22:01
I must admit this is my first time here and I knew the moment I saw the name, that's me. I am only 60 and I vote for Baby Boomer's. I guess if you are 50 and older you will know what Baby Boomer's are. :p I think the whole forum you have here is great. Susan :thup:

Rosebud
Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:16
Sorry guys, my "next Tuesday" has been and gone. :blush: I was away for a bit but am back now and will run along now to make a poll.

Roz

annie47
Mon, Aug-25-03, 21:58
:wiggle:Hi. Iwould love to join your TOFF group--lurked for a bit am intrigued. Got room for another? Annie47--LCing since July 11 and lost 19 lbs--only 70 (arrgh) to go!

annie47
Mon, Aug-25-03, 22:07
just noticed the dates! Are you and me the only ones here in Aug?

MizSteaks
Tue, Aug-26-03, 06:57
Hi Annie! Most of us are posting on the other threads right now. This one has sort of petered out. Welcome to the group! Have NO time this morning and will explain later. Pop into any of the threads at the top of the sub-forum menu and you'll find some wonderful people to chat with!!

Bye for now!
Nance :wave:

musicmama
Sun, Aug-01-04, 23:36
TOFF is my choice too,,,,,and I agree, lets spice it up with some other topics relevant to our group. Its good as it it,,,lets make it great!! Then everyone will wanna come and post!!!