PDA

View Full Version : everything you EVER wanted to know about tofu ... (book)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Fri, Jul-18-03, 15:49
Quite possibly the best resource about tofu ever written .. The Book of Tofu, by William Shurtleff & Akiko Aoyagi.

Originally published in 1975, it has undergone a few changes and updates, with the latest edition in 2001. :cool:

There are hundreds of recipes, of course .. but also it's an incredible text and encyclopedic resource about soy foods and their production. Even how to use plain soybeans and how to make your own soy milk, tofu and yuba (bean curd skin) at home :yum:

Not all recipes are low carbs of course, but many are .. or easily adaptable. Some recipes do include eggs, cheese and dairy ingredients, so if you eat those, there are plenty of options.

I'm not a vegetarian now, although I have been in the past, including a half-year as a vegan. (discovered that I have IBS and intolerance to most grains :(). But I include tofu regularly in my low-carb menus. I enjoy tempeh now and then too, although it's a bit higher in carbs.

I highly recommend this book ... it's very likely that your library would have a copy that you could borrow. Somehow I think once you read it, you'll want to have your very own copy :D :read:

Cheers,

Doreen

etoiles
Sat, Jul-19-03, 02:59
Sounds like a nice book to check out! I have just started to eat much more tofu now that I am low carbing! Good source of protein!

Thanks for the info! :thup:

joycelyn
Sat, Jul-19-03, 18:38
I read this book many years ago, and it truly is the definitive book on tofu!

Thanks for reminding me to start including tofu in my eating plan again! Sometimes I just forget about it, but it truly is such a healthy, versatile source of protein.

Karen
Sat, Jul-19-03, 20:23
These authors also wrote the Book of Miso which is an other excellent resource.

Karen

leborland
Mon, Oct-20-03, 23:40
:) I have a yummy tofu recipe that is fairly simple to make. You slice tofu and lay the slices in a baking pan. Spread a teaspoon of soy sauce on each slice and then sprinkle on a layer of gomasio (ground toasted sesame seeds mixed with salt.) You then throw some chopped scallions over the top before baking it in the oven (works in the microwave too!) Tofu can be so bland, but this combination really perks it up and makes a great main dish.