PDA

View Full Version : Paxil causing stall ?!?!?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kegan
Thu, Jul-17-03, 07:43
I am trying to 'un-stall' myself. The bottom line is I think my Paxil is causing the Atkins WOE not to work. I did not have the same problem when on Zoloft.

Here is the low-down

Started Atkins approx. 5-6 years ago, went from 213 to 179. At a point during that time, I began Zoloft (and it worked well for me), no related weight gain that I saw, and Zoloft treated my anxiety/depression.

Came off Zoloft after a while. Around the same began adding carbs, and stabilized at about 183-185, which lasted several years. Not a goal weight, but I was happy.

Decided that I needed to go back to Zoloft, but my new HMO would only give me Prozac or Paxil. Wound up going with Paxil. Also managed to abandon Atkins for a few months and climbed back to 195.

Now, I have been trying very unsuccessfully to get back into Atkins induction. Very careful about hidden carbs, used some of the Atklns supplements, the whole deal. I can not get it going in any appreciable manner.

HELP! Any suggestions, short of giving up the Paxil, which I am not comfortable doing.

vcrothb
Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:24
Hi Kegan,

I take Paxil as well- but what a crappy thing that they gave you a choice of only TWO antidepressants! People react differently to different drugs- makes you wonder about those who have tried Paxil and Prozac and need something different. Makes me glad to be a Canadian.

You didn't say what dose you were on- I am on 20mg and it has had, I think, so far no effect on my weight loss- almost 20 lbs in 3.5 weeks. How long have you been doing induction?

This is a tough one- short of changing your HMO and that probably isn't possible eh? Although it's hard to determine whether it's the Paxil causing a delay, or just your body being confused after those few years of on again/off again Atkins.

Cathy

AJ_0001
Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:09
"This is a tough one- short of changing your HMO and that probably isn't possible eh?"

Hi Kegan and Cathy, being a Canadian as well I thought the above quote was funny, eh? I too am on Paxil - 40 mg / day, and so far so good - I am losing weight in my 4th week of induction and I'm following it loosely because I'm sure I'm going over the vegetable allowance but it's working so I won't complain - it works for me. I'm also walking (really really fast!) every day for 45 - 60 minutes and working out 3 times a week with weights, so that probably factors into it. However, my sister, who has been on Paxil 20 mg a day for over a year now, gained weight once she started and has had a horrible time losing, though I don't think she's tried low carbing. I certainly agree that a choice in medications so that you can find the right one for you is an advantage we have as Canadians. Kegan, don't stop Paxil unless you are medically supervised and hopefully given some options as alternatives. Did you revert to eating a lot of carbs when you maintained your weight those years, or did you stick to a relatively low-carb regimen? Maybe if you're already quite low-carb you need to jump-start with a different plan - was reading that in the Atkins book - ie switch to a low-fat hi carb diet for 3 days then go back to Atkins induction - it may just fool your body back into it.

Good luck!
AJ