PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli and cheese soup

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cyashpal
Thu, Jul-17-03, 04:15
I really like this soup, but I can keep forking out for Marks & Spencers!! So, could someone give me a good, nice low-carb recipe for this soup - or - point me into the right direction?! :)

KC x

jerppt
Sun, Jul-20-03, 17:30
HI
I had posted a recipe for Caulifower cheese soup but I have substituted broccoli for the cauliflower and it turned out pretty good.

ALso you can eliminate the flour if you don't want the extra carbs -it might just be a little thinner--Hope you like it!!!

4 cups cauliflower florets or broccoli florets
1 cup chopped onion
14 1/2 ounces can chicken broth

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup cream
2 cups water

8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt -- optional
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- optional
1/8 teaspoon white pepper-optional-I use black pepper

-Makes 2 quarts
-In a large saucepan, combine the florets, onions, broth.
-Cover & cook over medium heat until the vegies are tender.
-Meanwhile in another pot, melt the butter, stir in the flour until smooth.
-Mix together the cream & the water & gradually add to the flour mixture.
-Cook & stir until bubbly& continue cooking & stirring for 2-3 minutes or until thickened..
-Reduce heat; add cheese & seasonings.
-Pour all into the floret mixture.
-Simmer slowly for 30 minutes; do not boil.

-Per serving:7.6 minus 1.7 gr. fiber= 5.9 carbs & 14.6 gr. protein
-Per serving w/ broccoli florets: 9.1 minus 2.7 gr. fiber= 6.4 carbs & 15.9 gr. protein

cyashpal
Mon, Jul-21-03, 02:59
Thanks honey!!! I'll give that a go sometime soon, minus the flour - and let you know how it turned out. :)

Maren Stoy
Sun, Sep-28-03, 16:22
Hi Jerppt,

Was online and found your recipe for broccoli, cheddar cheese soup and it sounds wonderful but I was wondering do you use the frozen broccoli or a head of broccoli?

Thanks in advance.

Maren