PDA

View Full Version : Klonpin/Zyprexa

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LovableLC
Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:18
My doctor is taking me off my cocktail and putting me on Zyprexa. And Kolonpin whenever I see fit (yeah well that means always not too sure bout that) What is everyones experience with this? I have social and general anxiety along with on and off depression.

Doodle
Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:29
I am on zyprexa for manic depression (bipolar). I am also on 40mgs of prozac for OCD, anxiety and depression. My experince with zyprexa is/was that i put a lot of weight on very quickly after going on it. I did some research and found that zyprexa actually causes insulin resistance and patients can put on up to 70% of their body weight on it.. of course low carb on it's own helps to counteract this awful side effect, but I refused outright to stay on it until my shrink prescribed me the diabetes drug "glucophage" to help the situation. It is worth talking to your doc about.. My doc had no hestancy in prescribing it for me as i have problems with my blood sugar to begin with.. obviously it is a difficult call to make to go on diabetic drugs without being diabetic, but in my case the good outweighed the bad by a long shot. My depression was getting much worse with the weight gain, and as I suffered from anorexia years ago, the doc didn't want to take the risk of me trying to keep the weight off in an unhealthy way. As it happens, between low carbing and glucophage I no longer experience the sugar highs and lows that plagued me for so long...
Not sure how all this will help you if at all, but that is my experience for ya!
Doods.

LovableLC
Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:58
So I guess since I'm on insulin resistance meds I'm ok??????//

Bebet
Wed, Jul-16-03, 20:57
I wonder what the dr. is treating with the zyprexa. There is another anti psychotic (which is what zyprexa is) called geodon which has a decreased potential for weight gain. Maybe you can see if this drug would be appropriate for you. I have taken it for awhile now for my bipolar, and did not have an increase in weight (I did the brief period on zyprexa), and am able to lose weight now on this WOL. It all depends on what the dr. is trying to treat with the zyprexa.

LovableLC
Wed, Jul-16-03, 21:15
"I'm taking it for anxiety.

Changling
Thu, Jul-17-03, 06:29
:agree: I love Klonopin for sleep. I take one every night before bed and sleep like a baby. It has helped with everything in my life. Before I never was a good sleeper. Good sleep, as far as I am concerned, is as important as air and water. If you can get good, solid sleep at night, it makes everything else in life easier to handle. I have not taken Zyprexa but do take Effexor, which I am not as gung-ho about. Seeing my doctor today and going to talk to him about that.

For me, I am learning that a huge part of my problem is addiction to sugar, which causes depression and can cause anxiety symptoms when you are consuming the volumes of sugar I have been.

I am reading a book - that I got in the addiction section of the bookstore not the diet section - called "Why Can't I Stop Eating." This book has made me cry, but has given me hope, by helping me to see why I am the way I am. I would HIGHLY recommend it. It is by Debbie Danowski and Pedro Lazaro, M.D.

Also, if you haven't already, please try some flax oil. It is pure brain food and it helped me so much during the peak of my anxiety problems. It is amazing because it really only helps because you are deficient in those omega fatty acids. And remember - never ever stop taking any medications abruptly as it can be very dangerous!!!

Best wishes to you!!! :angel:

skeeweeaka
Tue, Jul-22-03, 21:03
I wonder what the dr. is treating with the zyprexa. There is another anti psychotic (which is what zyprexa is) called geodon which has a decreased potential for weight gain. Maybe you can see if this drug would be appropriate for you. I have taken it for awhile now for my bipolar, and did not have an increase in weight (I did the brief period on zyprexa), and am able to lose weight now on this WOL. It all depends on what the dr. is trying to treat with the zyprexa.

Just a note...my doctor wanted to put me on Geodon and I did some research on the internet.... If heart disease runs in your family I would beware of this drug...I take risperadal....it makes me sluggish though and can cause insomnia... Again, research all drugs on the net before taking them... Doctor's are quite hesitant when it comes to explaining all of the side effects... I usually ask my doctor for samples first, research them, then let him know whether it is something I am interested in....