PDA

View Full Version : Zule

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

karen_1977
Fri, Jul-11-03, 08:52
If you don't mind me asking, what is SAD? I saw you had posted that in another thread. If you would rather not talk about it thats fine.

Karen

Zuleikaa
Fri, Jul-11-03, 09:49
Karen
Sad is Seasonal Affective Disorder. It is a form of depression that happens in winter due to lack of light intensity. In is having appropriate light intensity that activates serotonin levels that control mood. In addition to depression, SAD sufferers also suffer from weight gain and carbohydrate cravings as a SAD body goes into hibernation/fat storing mode. Think of a bear who puts on winter fat. That's me. Think of a hibernating bear who is woken up, they're irritable and snappish, withdrawn and hungry. That's me in winter too. With SAD, a person's actual body chemistry and mental processes change. People who aren't normally Carbohydrate Addicts can become so in the winter with SAD.

That's why my signature is like it is, because every year with SAD I gain weight during the winter and have to take off again and surpass every summer. This past long drawn out winter was especially hard on me. And it cut my best weight loss period short.

Many people suffer degrees of SAD from mild to severe. I happen to have severe symptoms which are further compounded by being a carbohydrate addict anyway. So my addiction is quite severe during winter, sort of like cravings on cravings if not somewhat controlled with CAD.

Also, SAD symptoms can come back any time there are a few cloudy days in a row as that keeps a SAD victim from receiving enough light to trigger serotonin activation. The clearer, sunnier skies are the reason I relocated from Boston to Washington, DC.

I hope I answered your questions. I'll be happy to answer any others.

karen_1977
Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:12
Thanks Zule

You answered my question perfectly, know wonder why you are an expert of CAD and SAD. I wish you much luck on your journey.

Karen