PDA

View Full Version : what to eat?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wannaloose
Mon, Jul-07-03, 21:58
:q: I was reading the info on candida. So what does a person eat to help with this problem? I understand what I am not to eat. It doesn't leave much to choose from. TY, Norene

Karen
Tue, Jul-08-03, 08:10
Hello wanna! I've moved your post to the Candida Forum where it will get more "airplay".

A low-carb diet is fairly anti-candida with a few adjustments. I know all the changes seems mind boggling at first, but as you keep on with it, it will seem so much easier. Just stick with it and you'll feel much better!

What about making a list of all the things you can eat and start from there?

Karen

LadyBelle
Tue, Jul-08-03, 10:31
Yogurt that has 3-5 active bacterias help in treating the problem. I also take yeast fighters for twin lab and the probiotics suggested by Atkins. Instead of cheese I use a soy cheese, but even on a candidia diet you can have some mozzarella and cream cheese. The hardest thing I have avoiding is the vinigar. I tried making vinigar free mayo, but it tasted like oily lemon juice to me. I've read on here we should be avoiding lemon juice anyway. Avoiding sugar can also be hard as they dump it in everything these days, but an LC diet is naturally lower in sugars then a regular one. My typical menu looks like

Breakfast
Eggs
Yogurt
Added fats

Lunch
Large chef salad with oil based dressing

Dinner
Large veggie
Small protien serving

Snacks
1/2 avacado blended with 1 Tbsp cream cheese.
1 turkey hotdog wrapped in soy cheese
hand full of deli meat
tea with coconut milk

Those are just a few suggestions. We shouldn't have nuts, but I still have the occasional nut butter such as almond butter. Have a look at my fitday for other ideas or my journal which makes more sense :)

Jeanne Sch
Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:50
Hi WannaLoose:
Hmmm...let me think....
-eggs
-bacon (nitrates are bad but I need some goodies)
-meats (cooking a turkey right now - smells like Thanksgiving)
-most vegies
-granny smith apples (believe it or not, this is the only acceptable fruit for candida eating but since you are also Atkins, you may want to go easy on the amount ingested). I do not know how many carbs are in a granny smith (obvious the sugar count for this variety is much lower).
-I make low carb flaxseed muffins which are MUCH BETTER for my gut than regular baked products - a happy medium of sorts (there is alcohol in the extracts and sugar in the powdered splenda but I have to have something to make up for the lack of bakery items I can have).

We are not supposed to eat nuts because of the *fungus* that can grow on them but I figure that if I cut out everything that is interesting than I will not stick to the Atkins diet and will surely throw out the candida diet with it.

I use splenda but I know there are sugars in the powdered and don't know how good the drinks (without sugar, just splenda) are for me.
I drink AloeSplash which has 10% aloe vera juice (supposed to be good for the lining of the intestine) but has things like citric acid and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) which makes me wonder if that plus the splenda feeds my gut beasties - even if it is just a little.

Alternative Sweeteners:
You can use stevia (my powdered form is just bitter and gross haven't used it in 8-10 months) and there is FOS which tastes heavenly but costs a lot for the little sweet that you do get. I cross my fingers and hope that the splenda gods shine down on me and it doesn't feed the candida in the form of sweetened drinks (no reports that I can find on it - just word of mouth saying it is ok).
HTH :)

MsJinx
Thu, Jul-17-03, 15:32
NuNaturals alcohol-free liquid stevia works great, particularly for beverages.

JInx