PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sparkle_sc
Sat, Jun-28-03, 17:22
Another newbie here, although I have been lurking since I started dieting about a month ago. I started dieting as a buddy thing with a girl at work who suggested the Mayo Diet. She said it had worked for her in the past. Well, I lasted about 3 days on it and then I found this site and realized this was the plan for me. Thus far I have gotten most of my information from all the wonderful posters on this forum. When I started Atkins I weighed 261. Today I weigh 247. I am very proud of what I have accomplished so far. That and the advice I have read on this board give me the inspiration to continue. Also, the lady that wanted me to do the Mayo Diet has fallen off her wagon and, and isn't interested in Atkins, that is further inspiration. I just bought my Atkins Diet Revolution book today, I'm looking forward to reading and gaining a better understanding of how Atkins works. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

kitecat1
Sat, Jun-28-03, 17:44
HI!!!!!!!! Way to go. I have been on Atkins for about 3 weeks now and have lost 12 pounds. I don't miss the bread or fries and the rest of the carbs.
Good Luck, Carrie :wave: :daze: :spin: :roll:

Carrigen
Sat, Jun-28-03, 19:49
Welcome to the Motherload of LowCarb info Sparkle!! <br><br> I have and continue to learn so much from this website, its made the last month a whole lot easier. Congrats on starting and CONGRATS in your progress so far!! Youre doing great!!! :yay:

kyliemarie
Sun, Jun-29-03, 01:47
:q: I am really interested in starting this diet, but i dont know how to start where do i get the atkins plan is it something i have to buy or can you find it online?

Please help

kylie

Sparkle_sc
Sun, Jun-29-03, 06:05
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It's much appreciated.

To Kylie: My best advice to you is to read these message boards and get the Atkins Diet Revolution Book. Wal Mart sells it for $5.97, and it is well worth it. I just bought mine yesterday. There is no kit to buy, I read on here about what other people ate, what was acceptable during induction and what was not. I've gotten a ton ideas and some great recipes from this forum. I wish I had bought the book in the beginning, it's very helpful, and also has recipes and menu ideas.

Leah

Sparkle_sc
Sun, Jun-29-03, 06:10
Carrigen!! It looks like we're neghbors. I live in Ladson, SC. Where are you?? Are you a nurse?? I work in a Hospital Billing office.
Small world, isn't it?
Leah

Carrigen
Sun, Jun-29-03, 07:11
**Waving hysterically at the new neighbor**:wave:<br><br>VERY small! Im in Columbia, and yep, Im a nurse! Is Ladson up, down, or sideways from here?

Sparkle_sc
Sun, Jun-29-03, 10:03
Carrigen, we are East from you on I-26, between Summerville and Goose Creek about 25 minutes from Downtown Charleston. We're practically next door!!

Do you work in a Hospital or Dr office? I'm in Customer Service for 2 of our local hospitals, so I get to hear from the patients when they are upset about their bills :(

Leah

Carrigen
Sun, Jun-29-03, 10:18
The world just gets tinier by the minute. I work for a pediatric company, we provide nursing for critically ill children so they can be at home. I drive to Charleston at least once a week 'cause we have an office there as well. I even went to college in Charleston, although it was a long long time ago:rolleyes:. <br><br> So when did you start on Atkins? Is it going pretty well?

Sparkle_sc
Sun, Jun-29-03, 11:33
I started around the 1st of June, (didn't write the date down). It's going pretty well, I have had some problems drinking enough water, but I am conquering that and have found that it really does make a difference. When I first started I was getting awful cramps/muscle spasms. Not just in my legs, but in my abdoman, sides and back. They were quite painful and incapacitating. They would hit me when I stretched the wrong way, turned over in bed or even when I laughed real hard. I have had these kind of spasms for several years, but never this severe. It was horrible, but has stopped since I started taking a multi vitamin. How about you? Are you having any problems with Atkins? I have been trying to be creative with my meal planning and I don't even miss the bread, sweets, or pasta like I thought I would.

Leah

Carrigen
Sun, Jun-29-03, 13:54
I started June 1st! Looks like we are almost in the exact same boat huh? Ive been amazed at how much better I feel now, Im walking now (30 minutes, 4 times per week) , going swimming with my kids, even little stuff like cleaning the house seems easier 'cause I actually have some energy . At first I thought it was just cause there was less of me to lug around, but now I think its more than that. All sorts of little nagging things are better or completely gone. <br><br> Ive been doing all kids of experimenting with foods to jazz 'em up alittle, its been fun (except for the turkey stuffing made with pork rinds, Im still having nightmares about that). Have you tried cheese crisps yet? Oh my GAWD, theyre fabulous...Do you have a good health food store? I hated the first time I went in there, was almost embarrassing, like "Oh yeah, 260+ pound woman on health food", but now I know all the folks there by first name and even make special requests! Maybe one day I can be like their Jared from Subway! <br><br> Oh my god, just realized how much Ive been filling up your journal!! I'll shut up now :blush:

kitecat1
Sun, Jun-29-03, 14:59
Hi, What are cheese crisps?
thanks, Carrie :confused:

Carrigen
Sun, Jun-29-03, 15:18
Their like little potato chips, made of cheese. I buy cheddar in the little cubes, Spray a microwavable plate with Pam then arrange 6 or 7 of the little cubes around the plate. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. The cheese will bubble and make popping noises, but let it go the whole time. Once complete, lift the cheese off with a spatula and lay it on a paper towel. As it cools, it get crispy, just break it into pieces and they taste just like the Goldfish cheese crackers, real crispy and delicious! You can use shredded, cubes or slice off the block, and you can do more or less, just experiment to see how long to nuke 'em. (in my microwave it takes closer to 2.30 for more than 6 cubes). Ive read (but havent tried yet) that if you make a big one and mold it right after it comes out you can make taco shells the same way...Fabulous! :daze:

Sparkle_sc
Sun, Jun-29-03, 16:00
That sounds Yummy! Will they stay crisp if you make them and keep in a zip lock bag. That would be a great snack for work. Thanks for the idea, and Thanks for asking about it Carrie.

Carrigen
Sun, Jun-29-03, 18:03
I think so, but to be honest whenever I put 'em in a ziploc bag, no matter how good my intentions, they always end up "gone" within an hour... :blush: <br><br> Oh, and they're great dipped in stuff...*runnin off to make some*

lilian
Sun, Jun-29-03, 20:13
Hi, :D
I have a question, I love the cheese crisps but everytime I do them in the micro my whole apartment just stinks up, can it be my microw or do you guy's have any good sugestions for keeping that smell away or geting rid of it quick? :confused:

Carrigen
Mon, Jun-30-03, 20:44
Hi Lilian! Ive never noticed 'em smelling bad, usually just the opposite! I use cheddar, maybe its the cheese your using?

So Sparkle, how'd ya do today?