PDA

View Full Version : Cipramil

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Paulie-M
Fri, Jun-27-03, 06:55
Anyone out there taken Cipramil (or citalopram hydrobromide to give it its proper name)? I have been prescribed it as an alternative to Prozac. I only started it yesterday and have to just take half the usual dosage for the first couple of days. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

lissa uk
Fri, Jul-25-03, 03:07
Hi Pauline

Ive been taking Cipramil since October of last year, this is the only antidepressant I have ever taken so fraid I cant compare it against anything else but just tell you how I found it.....

I take 20mg a day and when I started taking them I suffered with dizziness, dry mouth, tiredness for a couple of weeks but then they disappeared. I have found that the AD's have really helped and have lifted my mood signigicantly. I still get the odd bad day, but manage to drag myself out of it, I am at a point now where I am considering whether I should approach my doctor about coming off them but Im scared that if I do the depression will return, so Im at a bit of a quandry at the moment.

I see you placed this post back in June so you will have been on the tablets for about a month now - how are you finding them ??

Take Care

Lisa

Paulie-M
Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:08
Hi Lisa:wave:

I have been on Cipramil for about 4 weeks now. For the first 4 days, I was advised to take just half a 20mg tablet a day (to try to prepare my body). Like you, I had slight dizziness and also some feelings of nausea and I also had as hightened sense of anxiety, especially at night. Most of these side-effects have now passed. They are starting to make a difference, I'm now no longer breaking into tears for no apparent reason. Some days I feel that I could take on the world, and others I just can't be bothered to do anything! I have found out that my thyroid levels are all to pot at present, so that will probably have quite a bit to do swith the depression. I've had my thyroid hormone increased to try to get that balance right again.

You mention that you have been taking Cipramil since October. I would certainly have a word with your doctor if you are feeling better and think that you should either reduce your dosage or come off them altogether. I would assume (like Prozac) that you would either half the dosage or just take them alternate days and then every 2 days etc until you finally come off them. If you do come off them and feel the depression returning, then you can always start to take them again. At least you know they work for you.

Let me know what you decide. Take care.

lissa uk
Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:01
Hi Pauline,

Its interesting to read that you also have a thyroid problem, so do I, I take 100mg(?) of thyroxine daily and didnt realise that the AD's could effect the levels. Must admit im a bit lazy at getting my levels tested regulary, so guess I ought to get checked!

As for coming off the Cipramil, its about time i did, now I come to think of it ive actually been taking them since the start of August, I felt a lot better quite quickly, but then my dad died suddenly at the end of September and in hindsight I think they actually stopped me grieving to a certain extent cos that didnt really hit me until March of this year and I went through a really bad patch again but im back on track now!!

Anyway around November time I did speak to my doctor about coming off them cos I felt better but he said to get through Christmas first which I did but then never went back to talk about coming off them again !

I have been recently looking around other forums for advice about how to come off them and the consensus of opinon with SSRI's is the slower the better. So..... I actually went to the doctors this afternoon and discussed it with him and he is happy for me to give it a go but im gonna do it real slow cos deep down im scared of the depression returning. the plan is Im gonna cut down to three quarters of a tablet for a fortnight ( its gonna be fun splitting the tablet down) and then down to half for a fortnight then down to a quarter of a tablet for another two weeks and then for a final week I will take a quarter of a tablet one day then nothing the next and then thats it !!!! So its gonna take a couple of months but I would rather do it this way, as I have a pretty stressful and busy job so I dont fancy sudden side effects on top of all that !

What do you reckon, perhaps we can keep in touch and I will let you know how I get on !!

This site is fab and an absolute god send !!

Take Care

Lisa x

Paulie-M
Sat, Jul-26-03, 03:57
Hi Lisa:wave:

I'd love to keep in touch, I'll leave a message for you in your journal.

:)