PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

StYL
Wed, Jun-25-03, 09:46
:wave: Hello fellow no-carbs! I just started my journey (3 days ago) to good health and new eating habits. I am very anxious to meet others who are taking on this new lifestyle as well. I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I am a single mom of a 9 yr old "bito'StYL". My family history has been filled with overweight members and I want to put an end to the cycle. No more blaming obesity on genetics. Hopefully with your support and encouragement I can show my family that our body size is a matter of food choices and that not all "StYL's" are destined to be over weight. I must admit, there is a lot of contraversy when I explain what I am doing, but the more I learn, the easier it is to back my new lifestyle with facts. Some of my favorite hobbies are scrapbooking, cross-stitch, reading, anything to do with computers, spending time outdoors.
I am looking forward to getting to know all of you!

jam33
Wed, Jun-25-03, 10:17
Hi StYL. I am a newcomer too. Good luck to you. I SB. Tried Atkins, difficult for my 14 year old to have no bread. SB seems to work great for us. Hope to talk again. :wave:

StYL
Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:27
Nice to meet you Jam33!

I struggled with the idea of cutting out bread for "bito'StYL" too, but decided that instead of that drastic change, she is allowed to have low carb bread in moderation. I have tried to be as open and honest with her about this new change in eating for us. I hope she learns from my example to make proper food choices when I am not around. The hardest thing so far is getting her to take a multivitamin. The swallow-with-water technique is not easy for her to grasp. I am going to try and find a chewable version. Any suggestions?
I am new to the low carb way of eating so atkins is just a starting point, I imagine as I research so more I may make modifications here and there as to what works for us and what doesn't. Bread is definitly a hard one to let go of. Especially the "hidden" kind you need to be aware of such as the croutons in a ceasar salad! (One of my first mistakes!:rolleyes: ) I guess one of the other challenges will be breakfasts, my daughter has been a "toast and cereal" child most of her life. The idea of eggs everyday... she loves that, but, what kind of effect will that have on her health? Is moderation still the idea with that? I guess I need to do some more reading up on that one. Of course I am always open to suggestions and advice! Am I long-winded or what! With that I'll end now...Good luck to you too!

jam33
Wed, Jun-25-03, 13:55
As far as the vitamins go, I have no suggestion. Health affects of eggs daily - again I have no idea, but I do know that with Atkins in the later stages you can begin to add fruit and milk, so that is something to look forward to. My son was in a program at a local hospital for weight control (doctor supervised of course) and they placed all the kids on a protein sparing modified fast, meats of all varities, and all low fat or no fat condiments, sugar free jello and popsicles. Anyway, they could only be on that for 6 months and then they were placed on a low calorie diet. So, the 6 month thing was kind of an indication for me. Talk again soon.