PDA

View Full Version : I'm new! Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Crystal B
Wed, Jun-25-03, 07:34
So I'm starting the Atkins diet next Tuesday. The reason for the delay is my husband & I are going out of town to visit family and I didn't really feel that would be a good start, too many temptations. So a little about myself: I'm 5"8 and I weigh 172 give or take a few pounds. I've gained about 40 of that in the past 2 years. I guess that's what marriage will do to you because my husband has gained about 40 pounds also. He is 6"0 and weighs about 255. We are doing the diet together. We have a ten month old little boy and I would like to blame my weight gain on him but I just can't. I only gained 15 pounds when I was pregnant because I was vomitting all the time. :(

I've tried eating very little and drinking lots of water and walking but I can't seem to lose any weight. So I am very excited about this.

So I've been looking at this forum for a few weeks and I really like it here. Everyone seems really nice and eager to help others with questions, so I have a few. First, I know you can eat 2-3 cups of vege's, is it true that when you steam your vege's it takes some of the carbs out of them. So is it better to eat them raw or steamed or either way. Also, I know you are not supposed to take certain medications, what about aspirin and Zantac for heartburn. Will either of those set your weight loss back. Also, not to get to graphic but on the constipation topic I have these pills that you can get at GNC that are called Colon Cleanser and they really help you go to the bathroom the main ingredients are Psyllium Powder and Senna Powder. If I take these occasionally will they hurt my chances. Sorry to get so personal so soon. I hope you guys can help.

SDgrandma
Wed, Jun-25-03, 08:12
The Colon Cleanser is good and will help prevent constipation which can be a problem on this diet.

Steaming vegies does not remove carbs. Sorry. Either raw or steamed is ok. I steam some and eat some raw. Just depends on how I like them.

You may not need any heartburn meds on this WOE. Most people with prior problems report the heartburn went away. In the meantime it won't hurt. I don't think aspirin hurts either.

Good luck!!

Crystal B
Wed, Jun-25-03, 08:18
Thanks for the info!