PDA

View Full Version : White sauce question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SylviaUK
Thu, Jun-19-03, 15:56
I did a search, and came up with several suggestions of how to make a basic white or cheese sauce. Most of them said use butter and cream. But, and this may be a stupid question, they didn't say how much of each to use :(

Should I just melt a pat of butter like I used to do to mix with flour and milk before those two went off the agenda? And then simply add a dollop of cream and heat them up together? Or is it more complicated than that? Should I let the cream boil, or will that curdle it?

Thanks for any advice. I've been low-carbing for just over two weeks and am craving creamy sauce with my steamed veggies :D

Dez54
Thu, Jun-19-03, 19:37
In the meantime here is what I found at the Atkins site:

http://atkins.com/food/recipes/all/Cheese_Sauce.html

I assume you could use any combination of cheeses in that one.

As for the old "milk/butter/thickener" recipe for white/cheese sauce: I wonder if anyone has tried to substitute soy "beverage" for milk & "ThickenThin" for the corn starch or flour.

Does heating the soy change it's composition?

Dez

Rosebud
Thu, Jun-19-03, 21:29
Hi Sylvia,

I don't use any butter, just cream and cheese.

I simmer, okay boil ;) the cream until it has thickened. It has never separated on me, but I only ever use cream with at least 35% fat. When it's looking kinda thick and gloppy, I take it off the heat and add grated cheese.

I'm sorry I can't give you any measurements because I don't use any. :rolleyes: I start with a small amount of cheese and add more until it seems just right (thick enough). Because I keep my grated cheese in the freezer, I often then have to put the pan back onto a gentle heat until the cheese has melted. You have to be careful with that though, or the cheese can get leathery (so I'm told).

I've successfully used this technique to make souffles too. Instead of adding cheese, add the flavourings you wish with beaten egg yolk, then fold in stiffly beaten egg white. I think I use about 2 oz cream per egg - it's been a little while since i made one. I can't remember how long in the oven - I guess about ½ hour. I do remember the first one I tried was nice and brown on top but not cooked inside. :D So don't use too hot an oven.

HTH

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

SylviaUK
Fri, Jun-20-03, 02:27
Many thanks! I'll give it a go tonight just using cream and cheese.

It's sonice to be able to say "using cream and cheese" after all that low-fat nonsense ;)